ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to overcome criminal record

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ryder1350
Newly Registered

How to overcome criminal record

Post by ryder1350 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:15 am

My former boss wants me to move to Canada and run some restaurants he is going to build. The problem I have is that I do have a criminal record. I have been told there is no way I could ever get a visa to work and live in Canada. Is this true?

Snowball
Newly Registered

Post by Snowball » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:10 am

It depends entirely on what the offence(s) were and when they were committed. This is then compared to the same offence, should it have been committed in Canada.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:19 am

Depending entirely on the severity of the offense, it is also possible that an employer can add a petition on behalf of your good behavior.

Basically you need to show that you are 1) "reformed," 2) of "good character" and 3) of no danger to society.

Immigration will get the final word, but you can try to set the board first and you MIGHT get a right to appeal.

In your favor: Canada needs people right now. If you're in a region and occupation where there's a crunch, you MIGHT get a bit extra consideration.

What you did & what you were convicted of are not necessarily the same thing. Try to figure out which is least damaging and put the best light possible on it.

What punishment you received is important, as well as how long ago the conviction & the completion of the punishment. For examples: if you're two months out of parole (or not yet), you're in a much worse position than if you completed parole five or eight years ago.

If you stalk the streets at night eating babies in their cradles, I am sorry to inform you that your chances are somewhat limited. Even if you are reformed now. ;-)

the Admin

wacoachrusso
Newly Registered

Need Some Advice Please

Post by wacoachrusso » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:17 am

Hi there!!! I have a question, what are the percentages of people getting into Canada with a dui in 1997 and a dui in 1998, both of which were convicted in 1999? My future employer is going to do all the leg work for me( fingerprinting, fbi background, court documentation etc) and also going to send a letter of endorsement( this is a major airline) since I will be traveling a ton, and will need to get into Canada at some point. My employer tells me that after we send all the paper work in, it will take about three months to come back to me, ( oh yeah it will also cost me 200 bucks). My employer said Canada has been consistent with there turn around time(three months) with there decesion on granting a criminal rehabilitation, is this right...three months? Do you think they will get back to me sooner because of the flight attendant status and the major airline supporting me? I hope she is right , because I am set to start working for them Jan 7th.
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP WITH SOME INFO
Thanks

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:39 pm

More information here:

-> Canada forum -> Thinking about moving to canada
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=18679

The seriousness of the offense (outside Canada) depends on what you would have received if the crime had been conducted, prosecuted & sentenced in Canada.

Depending on the seriousness, generally either five years or ten years must have elapsed since the completion of the sentence. I'm not clear on how parole calculates into this.

the Admin

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:43 pm

What is "dui"?
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

Richter

Post by Richter » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:43 am

avjones wrote:What is "dui"?
Driving under influence (guess?).

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:58 am

I wondered if it might be that, but I wasn't sure if it was the same as drink-driving or not.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

Richter

Post by Richter » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:52 am

Driving under the influence of drink or drugs