ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

More documents requested including Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nero80
Newly Registered

More documents requested including Passport

Post by nero80 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:06 pm

Hello,

I live in the UK since 2005. ILR granted in 2nd October 2012 (EEA National). My wife is a British Citizen since March 2013 (married since 2009).
I applied for BC with NCS on the 7th November 2014.
Payment taken from my account on the 22nd November.

I received a letter from Home Office today saying:

'' I refer to your application for British citizenship. Before we can proceed further please send all of the following original documents to this office by the 23rd December 2014.
As you are a national of European Union member state, please provide alternative evidence of your residence in the UK to cover 3rd October 2012 (the date you were granted Permanent Residence in the UK) to 6th November 2014.''

And they ask me to send them my passport and alternative evidence. Alternative evidence could be:
Statements from HM Revenue confirming the dates of payment of taxes and NI contributions for Self-Employed. OR
Evidences if you are Employed/unemployed. OR
Evidence for Students. OR
Evidence for Self-Sufficient.

On the application I mentioned that I am an Electrical Engineer (BEng) unemployed at the moment, and looking for work.
Since 2005 until 1st August 2013 I was registered as a Self-employed. Since 1st August 2013 I did not work because I wanted to start a business which I failed to do it, so at the moment I am looking for a job and I am registered as a Self-Employed again. I registered as a Self-Employed a few days after I have applied with the NCS.
My questions are:
1. why do they want my passport? It was copied by the lady at the NCS.

2. if I will give them evidence of being Self-Employed until August 2013 they might ask me to give them proofs of residency in the UK from 1st August 2013 until 6th November 2014. That period of more than one year is the problem....what papers should I submit to them?

Long story, I hope that someone could help me with this one.

Thank you very much

SouthWest1

Re: More documents requested including Passport

Post by SouthWest1 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:23 pm

They did not ask for your passport according to what you wrote so i do know why you say they want your passport!!
Basically, being an EU national, your passport will not be stamped if you enter UK. they want to ensure you were physically present in UK since you obtained your PR and has not been absent for more than 90 days in the last 12 months ( u got your PR on 10/2012).
send proof of address/ residence ( bank statements, council tax, or any similar docs ). Employment is not a requirement for naturalisation BTW.

nero80
Newly Registered

Post by nero80 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:16 pm

Thank you very much. But according to the passport, how can I or HO prove that I have been in the UK because they not stamp the EU passport and I mostly travelled using national ID card not passport. Sending them bank statements doesn't prove 100% that I have been in the UK because anyone could use your credit/debit card. I haven't spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months.

Thank you again

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:06 pm

They can check if they are in doubt. Try to send them any proofs like council tax payments or perhaps monthly rent/ mortgage payments.I think it might be a good idea to send along a cover letter explaining your situation. make sure the post is registered or preferably special delivery.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:17 am

Bank statements, letter from GP..
I am sometimes wrong.

nawaz

Post by nawaz » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:27 am

When submitting my application via NCS, I was told that Home Office carries out spot checks, so although we are sending certified copies they might still ask to see some of the originals.