ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizen for Child Born in UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

discovery2012
Newly Registered

British Citizen for Child Born in UK

Post by discovery2012 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:56 pm

Hi,
I and my wife have got ILR permits. We have a child born in the UK, in 2013 and living in the UK after that, never visited any other country. So I want to know,
1. Am i right to say, my child is now automatically British citizen and does not need to fill up MN1 form?
2. If the answer in question 1 is, I do not need to fill up MN1 form, then should I apply for British passport directly?
3. What is the best way to apply for British Passport?
4. What is the form name to apply for British Passport?

Many thanks in advance.

vinny

Re: British Citizen for Child Born in UK

Post by vinny » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:06 pm

It depends on when the child was born, relative to a parent's ILR.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:44 pm

I am assuming that since you last posted here : http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... l#p1109860 then you and your wife now have ILR.

If that is the case, your child is not automatically British as child was born before your got ILR.

You will need to register the child, under section 1(3) of the nationality act which is an entitlement, on MN1 and pay the fee of £669. Once you receive the certificate of registration, only then can you apply for a British passport. Passport forms can be found at the Post Office.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

discovery2012
Newly Registered

Post by discovery2012 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:42 am

CR001 wrote:I am assuming that since you last posted here : http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... l#p1109860 then you and your wife now have ILR.

If that is the case, your child is not automatically British as child was born before your got ILR.

You will need to register the child, under section 1(3) of the nationality act which is an entitlement, on MN1 and pay the fee of £669. Once you receive the certificate of registration, only then can you apply for a British passport. Passport forms can be found at the Post Office.
Hi CR001,
You are absolutely correct. Thank you for your reply.