ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Horrible experience at the NCS

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jersey

Horrible experience at the NCS

Post by Jersey » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:15 am

Hi
Just wanted to share the horrible experience I had today at the NCS, which is very disappointing considering the fact that you pay for such a 'pleasure'.

I arrived with all documents, application form and payment slip. The clerk there started to check my application form , which was filled promptly. Then she started questioning me about my evidence, while she was being clueless about EU law.

I explained her that I got my blue card beginning of December 08, hence why I apply now for naturalisation. I have provided her with my PR which was issued in Feb 14, so she told me: 'sir you should apply in February'. I told her that under EU immigration laws I didn't have to apply for PR, and technically I gain PR after exercising treaty rights for 5 years in this country.

She then phoned home office as she isn't familiar with this stuff and was on the phone for 5 minutes. Then she saw I wrote that for the first month I was jobseeker, so she told me in fact that I can only apply from end of Janaury. I again explained her that under EU treties, I don't have to have a job but I can be job seeker (which also means exercising treaty rights). Again she was clueless and called home office to get info.

Then she start checking my payslips and P60. I did have some missing from my first year although I was in employment, so she started making issues and said I can't apply if I don't have all payslips. I told her that it was ridiculous , considering I used the very same evidence a year ago when I applied for the PR and showed my residence based on the very same payslips (although some were missing). Again I told her that I didn't have to be employed , under EU treaties.

Then she asked me to sign a declaration that I will not ask the council to get a refund of my fees if my application is rejected, because she 'advised' me against sending it.

I told her that I will sign happily and I have added some notes to the AN application form page 15 explaining to whoever will check it, that I used the same evidence a year ago for PR and it was alright. Also I explained them the chronology of my previous applications and why I apply now and not in February (since I'm here legally for 6 years).

I hope it will all go well without problems, as I already gained PR based on same evidence. But the whole NCS experience was horrible as the clerk isn't familiar with legislation and just caused me unnecessary stress. I think they need to be trained that there are different kinds of naturalisation and the difference between the different routes.

Your opinions? did anyone had similar experience?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: Horrible experience at the NCS

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:41 pm

It is not surprising. The NCS seems like a good idea only in cases where you have a very simple application, for instance with PR confirmation having been issued more than a year ago.

Good luck with the application!

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:00 pm

I had exactly the same with regards the NCS when my wife applied. She was using the 'present 3 years earlier' rather than 'resident for 3 years' piece of the law.

Had a little discussion with the lady who was determined my wife had to be resident for 3 years - but had my print out of the right law and (after a call to the Home Office) she basically said 'hey - your dime - let me know how it goes'. Took less then 3 weeks to get approval.

Jersey

Post by Jersey » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:01 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:It is not surprising. The NCS seems like a good idea only in cases where you have a very simple application, for instance with PR confirmation having been issued more than a year ago.

Good luck with the application!
Thanks.

wirapundi
Newly Registered

Post by wirapundi » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:04 pm

I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect every council across the uk to train the their clerks to the level that is required for a complete understanding of all settlement and naturalisation routes (that’s for the Home Office). But instead, for a bulk of standard applications, the NCS expedites the process, and allows the original documents to be kept by the applicant. For me – not having to give my passport away for the duration of an application is worth every penny of 50 odd quid.

Good luck with the application.

Cheers
Wira

Jersey

Post by Jersey » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:31 pm

MPH80 wrote:I had exactly the same with regards the NCS when my wife applied. She was using the 'present 3 years earlier' rather than 'resident for 3 years' piece of the law.

Had a little discussion with the lady who was determined my wife had to be resident for 3 years - but had my print out of the right law and (after a call to the Home Office) she basically said 'hey - your dime - let me know how it goes'. Took less then 3 weeks to get approval.
Thanks for sharing your experience, and congrats for your wife. I wouldn't mind waiting even a bit more than 3 weeks, just to get the citizenship :)

Jersey

Post by Jersey » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:33 pm

wirapundi wrote:I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect every council across the uk to train the their clerks to the level that is required for a complete understanding of all settlement and naturalisation routes (that’s for the Home Office). But instead, for a bulk of standard applications, the NCS expedites the process, and allows the original documents to be kept by the applicant. For me – not having to give my passport away for the duration of an application is worth every penny of 50 odd quid.

Good luck with the application.

Cheers
Wira
Thanks. Yes it is a plus to have your originals with you while application is checked.

Obviously they can't say officially that using NCS it speeds up process, but I think that when Home Office see a certified documents, they just need to go through a checklist and check the application, rather than going through the authenticity of documents sent.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:52 pm

My experience with NCS was brilliant.

Lady said application looks straightforward and it might take six months to reply, then she whispered "But I have seen a lot folks getting approval a lot quicker here". Even though she had no control over incidents. I am still waiting for my approval but these nice reassuring words were very nice to hear.

Good luck to you, me and all those who are in pipeline. :)
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

Jersey

Post by Jersey » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:20 pm

fwd079 wrote:My experience with NCS was brilliant.

Lady said application looks straightforward and it might take six months to reply, then she whispered "But I have seen a lot folks getting approval a lot quicker here". Even though she had no control over incidents. I am still waiting for my approval but these nice reassuring words were very nice to hear.

Good luck to you, me and all those who are in pipeline. :)
Thanks and good luck to you and everyone who is waiting :)

slough_Boy

Post by slough_Boy » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:54 am

Jersey wrote:Hi
Just wanted to share the horrible experience I had today at the NCS, which is very disappointing considering the fact that you pay for such a 'pleasure'.

I arrived with all documents, application form and payment slip. The clerk there started to check my application form , which was filled promptly. Then she started questioning me about my evidence, while she was being clueless about EU law.

I explained her that I got my blue card beginning of December 08, hence why I apply now for naturalisation. I have provided her with my PR which was issued in Feb 14, so she told me: 'sir you should apply in February'. I told her that under EU immigration laws I didn't have to apply for PR, and technically I gain PR after exercising treaty rights for 5 years in this country.

She then phoned home office as she isn't familiar with this stuff and was on the phone for 5 minutes. Then she saw I wrote that for the first month I was jobseeker, so she told me in fact that I can only apply from end of Janaury. I again explained her that under EU treties, I don't have to have a job but I can be job seeker (which also means exercising treaty rights). Again she was clueless and called home office to get info.

Then she start checking my payslips and P60. I did have some missing from my first year although I was in employment, so she started making issues and said I can't apply if I don't have all payslips. I told her that it was ridiculous , considering I used the very same evidence a year ago when I applied for the PR and showed my residence based on the very same payslips (although some were missing). Again I told her that I didn't have to be employed , under EU treaties.

Then she asked me to sign a declaration that I will not ask the council to get a refund of my fees if my application is rejected, because she 'advised' me against sending it.

I told her that I will sign happily and I have added some notes to the AN application form page 15 explaining to whoever will check it, that I used the same evidence a year ago for PR and it was alright. Also I explained them the chronology of my previous applications and why I apply now and not in February (since I'm here legally for 6 years).

I hope it will all go well without problems, as I already gained PR based on same evidence. But the whole NCS experience was horrible as the clerk isn't familiar with legislation and just caused me unnecessary stress. I think they need to be trained that there are different kinds of naturalisation and the difference between the different routes.

Last month I went to NCS to get some information as Im going to apply on 8th Dec, I showed them MY Permanent Residence Card, they said they have never seen such visa, they have only seen ILR in the form of cards. :) :D

zabizabi

Need help in NCS services

Post by zabizabi » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:21 am

my Dear Fellows,
I am applying at the end of this month. I may use NCS services. I got my ILR through long residency route (10 years).How I can book my appointment with NCS and what kind of documents they will check in my case .I don't have my all payslip and p60.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:31 am

If you applying as a spouse or based on 5 years residency employment is not a requirement.
You can find online nearest NCS to you.
I am sometimes wrong.

sagareva
BANNED

Post by sagareva » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:22 pm

I just wonder why does everyone keep going to NCS because they overall tend to be very incompetent

you are right, under EU law you do not have to be employed all the time to be exercising treaty rights

however i hear all the time that NCS requires this of people and turns them away

my advice (short of working with a lawyer) is always to apply directly, that way you also do not risk the clearly ignorant NCS person messing up your application by failing to include something or re-arranging it in a weird way

if the person clearly is not on your side, walk away since you are under no obligation to use them
**Please note, you can no longer contact me by PM because owners of this board accused me of using it to recruit clients, and disabled my ability to read and send PMs.**

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:20 am

sagareva wrote:

I just wonder why does everyone keep going to NCS because they overall tend to be very incompetent

you are right, under EU law you do not have to be employed all the time to be exercising treaty rights

however i hear all the time that NCS requires this of people and turns them away

my advice (short of working with a lawyer) is always to apply directly, that way you also do not risk the clearly ignorant NCS person messing up your application by failing to include something or re-arranging it in a weird way

if the person clearly is not on your side, walk away since you are under no obligation to use them
Its because NCS gives your original documents back which can be very, very handy in case of emergency. My personal example is that my 3 years daughter's and my applications are underway as I type this, but sadly wife's emergency travel meant daughter had to go.

Thus without NCS daughter was stuck here and wife would have missed her mother's funeral.

So, if there is a facility, we can avail it or ignore it, but must never moan and whine about something we don't know about.

This should "settle" this useless debate in my view. Sorry if it sounded harsh.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:46 pm

You do not need to send original travel documents with a citizenship application, even when doing the application yourself. You can go to a solicitor and have them make a certified copy, and then submit the copy with the application.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:25 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:You do not need to send original travel documents with a citizenship application, even when doing the application yourself. You can go to a solicitor and have them make a certified copy, and then submit the copy with the application.
Fair enough, Solicitors in my area were expensive last time I used them, so NCS for me was cheaper.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:36 pm

You can usually get a solicitor to make certified copies of a passport for about £30. So it is not so expensive.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:14 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:You can usually get a solicitor to make certified copies of a passport for about £30. So it is not so expensive.
Probably, mine charged £40 per sheet at the time of dependant visas for my wife and daughter, which was certified copies of my passport and the thing which probably raised his fees was my declaration of sponsorship for them. So for me it was around £200 and never got to involve Solicitar again, hence chose NCS for about £100 (so for me it was half price, plus peace of mind of having it checked).

Then back to topic, my NCS experience couldn't have gone any more pleasant. I'd recommend it.

Jersey

Post by Jersey » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:36 pm

Indeed, the issue with mine was that I didn't have all payslips , some were missing, but I used the very same evidence for the PR a year ago, so I simply wrote that on the application form, so the caseworker will realise that same evidence was used to obtain PR. And anyway all payslips available from last 12 months so they can see that I was here and working permanently.

The NCS got me to sign a 'declaration' saying that I'm applying despite they 'advise me against applying'... I was happy to sign it as I said that the same evidence was used a year ago for PR. Since there is a precedent now, I don't expect issues. I just hope that the NCS clerk didn't put any notes with the application to 'notify' them about some missing payslips.

I guess that caseworkers are simply following the legislation and these NCS clerk are not trained in this stuff.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:12 pm

Jersey wrote: I just hope that the NCS clerk didn't put any notes with the application to 'notify' them about some missing payslips.
I would always suggest you request a copy of your file after citizenship is granted, or if there is any problem. It is cheap!
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... mmigration