ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Opening a UK bank account

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Hammer2001
United Kingdom

Opening a UK bank account

Post by Hammer2001 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:08 pm

My wife has just arrived in the UK on her Leave to enter spouse visa.

We planned to open a simple joint current account for daily spending etc. But we are having no joy in doing so.

My current bank told me in branch that she will have to live here for one year before she can apply for a bank account.

Over the phone they tell me she can apply but will need two forms of ID, one showing her UK address.

She has her passport and I also have a UK council tax bill with hers and my name on it.

The problem is her passport is still in her maiden name and the bill is in our married name, so the bank won't accept it, even if we show our marriage certificate.

She doesn't have any other forms of ID she could show.

Has anyone had any experience of opening a bank account for their foreign spouse?

robinpaul78
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Opening a UK bank account

Post by robinpaul78 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:54 pm

You can get your wife's passport re-issued with the new Name at the Indian High Commission. You will get the new passport in 2/3 days and then try again.

jhabak
Newly Registered

Post by jhabak » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:25 am

Is the Passport re issue to quick in Indian high commission, Last when I spoke to them. they said it would take minium 4-6 weeks and can take upto 3 months as well. Though I have mixed reviews from friends on the timeline taken.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:46 am

Most banks are now reluctant to open an account unless you have a source of income coming in, example, from working or benefits etc.

This is the obstacle I found when trying to open an account for my other half.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided