ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependent/partner visa application from India– my experience

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

amit10
Newly Registered

Re: Dependent/partner visa application from India– my experi

Post by amit10 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:08 pm

Question with regard to Tier 2 general dependent visa.
Maintenance funds is it
a)£630 or
b)£945+ £630

i have been in the UK for more than 12 months and this is not very clear from the documents. we have been maintaining £1000 for the last 90days but if its b) then i need to start over. :roll: Help needed on this please.

tier2_applicant

Post by tier2_applicant » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:24 pm

sapskt wrote:Hi,

Just one question, Do we need to submit the original Bank Statement from UK? Most of bankers of using technology and giving only softcopy. Also the employer I work for, the Payslips are complete online, means I need to go to my intranet site and take the print out.. At least on payslip I can request you a letter from my employer.. Bank Statement... Original required or can we submit the softcopy printed?

Appreciate your response.

Thanks,
Original payslips required.
Bank statements printed from the online banking are fine.

tier2_applicant

Post by tier2_applicant » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:29 pm

amit10 wrote:Question with regard to Tier 2 general dependent visa.
Maintenance funds is it
a)£630 or
b)£945+ £630

i have been in the UK for more than 12 months and this is not very clear from the documents. we have been maintaining £1000 for the last 90days but if its b) then i need to start over. :roll: Help needed on this please.

Each dependant must have £630 available to them whether they apply with you or separately. This is in addition to the £945 you must have to support yourself.

You must have proof you have the money, and that it’s been in your bank account or your dependant’s bank account for at least 90 days before you or they apply.

Example You must have £2,205 if you want to bring your partner and one child with you to the UK (£945 to support yourself plus £630 for your partner and £630 for your child).

This is from https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/family-members

Also available on page 13 of the Point based dependent policy guidance document https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _07-14.pdf

amit10
Newly Registered

Post by amit10 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:42 pm

Thanks for the response.

So it doesn't matter if i have been in the UK more than 12 months under a Tier 2 A rated sponsor or less. I would still need to show £945 to support myself and £630 per dependent?

tier2_applicant

Post by tier2_applicant » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:48 pm

amit10 wrote:Thanks for the response.

So it doesn't matter if i have been in the UK more than 12 months under a Tier 2 A rated sponsor or less. I would still need to show £945 to support myself and £630 per dependent?
yes, it seems thats the case, unless The Tier 2 A-rated sponsor providing a written undertaking that, should it become necessary, it will maintain and accommodate the family member for a month. The undertaking may be limited provided the limit is at least £630 per family member. This again is as per the document I linked earlier.

amit10
Newly Registered

Post by amit10 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:54 pm

Thanks again for the response, Been through those documents a hundred times by now but certain things still gets lost in translation as she is applying independently to me. Sad times ahead :cry: another 90 days of waiting to be with my wife.

I have sent an inquiry to my HR department, need to wait for their response on the letter but i am sure it only holds true if it were the 1st month of my employment but that is not the case again.

Ask Azo
Newly Registered

Post by Ask Azo » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:32 pm

the documents which need to be notarized like the copy of brp and passport , etc
Is it ok if I get them notarized in Mumbai
I have docs notarized in London but they are dated of sep 2014
And I will be applying now in December
Is it ok if I use the old notarized docs or should I get new ones

Ask Azo
Newly Registered

Post by Ask Azo » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:34 pm

Like I have payslips of June -August notarized in September
Should I get fresh ones and notarize them
Along with payslips of sep-dec

tier2_applicant

Post by tier2_applicant » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:59 pm

Ask Azo wrote:Like I have payslips of June -August notarized in September
Should I get fresh ones and notarize them
Along with payslips of sep-dec

Who asked you to get the documents notarized?

Your payslips and BRP should have been issued in UK. UKVI don't need copies of them notarized for your partner's dependent visa application.

rockins0309
Newly Registered

Post by rockins0309 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:26 am

hiii,

i wanted to apply a dependent visa for my husband who is in india. i am leaving with my sister and brother in law in uk so im not paying any rent. my sister is staying in a rented house. is it important to show tenancy agreement? what are the documents i have to show in my name.

tier2_applicant

Post by tier2_applicant » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:46 am

rockins0309 wrote:hiii,

i wanted to apply a dependent visa for my husband who is in india. i am leaving with my sister and brother in law in uk so im not paying any rent. my sister is staying in a rented house. is it important to show tenancy agreement? what are the documents i have to show in my name.

Please read through the previous posts, there is a case very similar to yours mentioned. It should provide you more clarity.

Tenancy agreement is not mandatory so it shouldn't be a problem in your case.

The list of document is given at the start of this thread.

gourab1987
Newly Registered

Marr

Post by gourab1987 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:48 pm

Hi,

I am currently working in UK with a tier 2 general visa. My wife wishes to apply for a tier 2 general dependent visa from Kolkata, India. Our marriage certificate says at the bottom: " if the document is needed for use in foreign countries for acceptance by the foreign missions situated in India authentication of the document by the ministry of external affairs is required".

Our certificate is laminated and it is extremely hard to delaminate. We were wondering if it is OK to authenticate a copy of the document from the ministry of external affairs?

Do we need authentication at all?

DO I NEED TO SUBMIT THE ORIGINAL MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE WITH AUTHENTICATION? This is a big problem because we need it to be delaminated and then stamped, or if that is not possible, arrange to make a duplicate!

Do we need the original to be apostilled? Again it is hard to delaminate the original document.

We want to mention, that our last application got rejected because we did not provide any document other than marriage certificate which we understand. But the visa officer accepted that I submitted a marriage certificate, and did not mention anything about authentication. Does this mean we do not need authentication?

Thanks a ton for any information! Any help will be highly appreciated! really confused here. We do not want this application to be rejected!

best,
Gourab

tier2_applicant

Re: Marr

Post by tier2_applicant » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:16 am

gourab1987 wrote:Hi,

I am currently working in UK with a tier 2 general visa. My wife wishes to apply for a tier 2 general dependent visa from Kolkata, India. Our marriage certificate says at the bottom: " if the document is needed for use in foreign countries for acceptance by the foreign missions situated in India authentication of the document by the ministry of external affairs is required".

Our certificate is laminated and it is extremely hard to delaminate. We were wondering if it is OK to authenticate a copy of the document from the ministry of external affairs?

Do we need authentication at all?

DO I NEED TO SUBMIT THE ORIGINAL MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE WITH AUTHENTICATION? This is a big problem because we need it to be delaminated and then stamped, or if that is not possible, arrange to make a duplicate!

Do we need the original to be apostilled? Again it is hard to delaminate the original document.

We want to mention, that our last application got rejected because we did not provide any document other than marriage certificate which we understand. But the visa officer accepted that I submitted a marriage certificate, and did not mention anything about authentication. Does this mean we do not need authentication?

Thanks a ton for any information! Any help will be highly appreciated! really confused here. We do not want this application to be rejected!

best,
Gourab

If I was in your situation, I would log it with ministry of external affairs and then try and see what the ministry of external affairs does. Instead of trying to de-laminate your certificate, it is very likely that they will issue a supplement document saying that MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE XX HAS BEEN VERIFIED BY GOVT OF INDIA or something on those lines.

The other option is that you could go back to the visa officer and ask him the same question: Do UKVI really need the document authenticated. In case he/she says no, then you wont have to go through all the hassle of getting the document authenticated anyway.

It might be easier contacting the visa officer first: that way you will know for sure what you need to do/don't need to do.
Hope that helps.

gourab1987
Newly Registered

Post by gourab1987 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:41 pm

Dear tier2_applicant,

Many thanks for your reply. Can you tell me a way to contact the visa officer? I only see his initials in the refusal notice.

I have emailed via the UK visa website. Hope they can give me the contact address?

many thanks again :)

Gourab

tier2_applicant

Post by tier2_applicant » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:02 pm

gourab1987 wrote:Dear tier2_applicant,

Many thanks for your reply. Can you tell me a way to contact the visa officer? I only see his initials in the refusal notice.

I have emailed via the UK visa website. Hope they can give me the contact address?

many thanks again :)

Gourab

Not sure they will put you in touch with a specific officer or the office who refused your initial application.
It might be worth calling UKVI [number given on their website, you'll have to search, I cant find it right now]. You might have to wait a while before you get through to an officer but you will get first hand advice about your specific question. I have called them directly in the past to clarify things about my T2 General extension application.

gourab1987
Newly Registered

Post by gourab1987 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:09 pm

Ok thanks I will do that.

best,
Gourab

gourab1987
Newly Registered

Post by gourab1987 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:16 am

Hi,

I found a website http://www.documentattestation.in/ who says they can directly do the apostille of our marriage certificate from the ministry of external affairs within a week.

We were worried if this process is genuine? Anybody here had any experience with this particular company?

thanks for any information.
Gourab

gourab1987
Newly Registered

Post by gourab1987 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:51 am

Hi,

Just wanted to confirm something. My wife's tier 2 dependent visa was rejected last time. We only supplied the marriage certificate as evidence of our marriage which we now understand is not enough. We are planning to reapply. I have a question related to the wedding photographs. We had a small ceremony with only small gathering of family and friends with exchange of rings and signing the marriage certificate. There was no big fat indian wedding. We have photographs only of that ceremony. Do you think this is going to be a problem? Before this I was doing my PhD in Canada and she was in India, so we met only when I visited India. Apart from the wedding photographs, we are submitting, for our relationship:

1) Apostilled original marriage certificate
2_ Notarized letter from parents.
3) Notarized letters from both of us detailing the history of how we met and history of our relationship.
4) My passport stamps showing entering India before the wedding date along with tickets copies.
5) She visited me in Canada before for 4 months before I left and came to UK, so a proof from accommodation authorities that she stayed with me for 4 months.
6)Our gmail chat list, one from each month since 2011 (when we first became acquainted)
7) Our fb chat list
8. Video call screenshots
9) Photographs of us together during our canada trip.
10) Photographs during my visit to India.
10) Ticket of us taking a small trip together to a place called whitehorse while she was in Canada.
11) My call logs since 2011 which shows innumerable calls I made since 2011-present. Logs also show no calls made during the time I was present in India.

Maintenance:

1) Letter from Cambridge university saying they can maintain and accommodate the dependent for the first month.
2) Last 3 months bank statements showing enough funds.
3) Last 3 months payslips.

THanks for any other tips.

Gourab

tier2_applicant

Post by tier2_applicant » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:08 pm

A few photos should be fine.

Apart from that maybe attach wedding invite copies, if you have got any.

Other documents seem more than enough for showing that it's a valid relationship/wedding.

gourab1987
Newly Registered

Post by gourab1987 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:17 pm

Thanks for the response.

As I mentioned it was a personal short affair, so invitations were given personally by phone. Unfortunately we dont have any wedding invitation card. Hope it is not a problem!

NeelP
Newly Registered

Post by NeelP » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:35 am

Hi All,

I am in process of applying for my wife and child (3 months old). I have prepared both their applications (each for wife and child) under "apply for someone else" in visa4uk. I have mentioned both their names under (are you travelling with anyone?) and my child's name under "dependent children" in the application for my wife. These are General partner and general child categories.

Before I go ahead and submit, how do one makes sure that their appointments are together at VFS center? I am asking because I do not want any surprises once I pay and find out I did it incorrectly. :?

Thanks,
N.

amit_sharma90
Mood:
India

Post by amit_sharma90 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:55 pm

@NeelP,

take same appointment time for both your dependent and when they visit the VFS office together, the rest of submitting the form together and to make sure that both the form processed together will be taken care by VFS officials.

thanks.

gourab1987
Newly Registered

notary letter and form question

Post by gourab1987 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:50 pm

Hello,

I am currently in the UK with a tier 2 general visa. My wife is applying from India for a tier 2 dependent visa.

I have a couple of questions.

1) In the form thee is a question " Is your spouse travelling with you?" Should the answer be yes or no? After getting the visa she will be coming to the UK for the first time on her own. I am already in the UK.

2) I had sent some notarized letter summarizing our relationship from the UK, letter of maintainance from A-rated sponsor, an . Now it seems that when we can finally apply, the letters will be more than one month old (it is taking a lot of time to gather all the documents.) Will that be a problem?

Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate it.

Gourab.

gourab1987
Newly Registered

notary letter and form question

Post by gourab1987 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:50 pm

Hello,

I am currently in the UK with a tier 2 general visa. My wife is applying from India for a tier 2 dependent visa.

I have a couple of questions.

1) In the form thee is a question " Is your spouse travelling with you?" Should the answer be yes or no? After getting the visa she will be coming to the UK for the first time on her own. I am already in the UK.

2) I had sent some notarized letter summarizing our relationship from the UK, letter of maintainance from A-rated sponsor, an . Now it seems that when we can finally apply, the letters will be more than one month old (it is taking a lot of time to gather all the documents.) Will that be a problem?

Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate it.

Gourab.

vchhabra18
Newly Registered

Post by vchhabra18 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:35 am

Hello tier2_applicant,

I have a quick question about the tenancy agreement "AAA’S TENANCY AGREEMENT".

I am in exactly the same situation you were in - Tier 2 general sponsored visa, Indian wife - requirement of dependent visa et al.

I have everything that is needed except the tenancy agreement. My friend owns a house here and I rent out a place in it. There isn't any tenancy agreement to be provided - plus I don't pay him anything either. Will a letter from him stating that he is happy to accomodate me and my wife at his place suffice? or do I need to ask him to get an agreement prepared?

Only mindful of the fact that if it looks like he earns money with me staying at his place will cause tax issues, which is not even the case. But sure won't be able to justify this bit?

Any suggestions or workarounds please?

Regards
VC
tier2_applicant wrote:Hi everyone,

I recently, successfully applied for my wife to join me in the UK as a dependent. Just wanted to let you know how I went about it in case this can be of help to anyone in a similar situation to me.

I have been in the UK since September 2008. I started my studies and switched to post Study work in late 2009 once my masters was awarded. I did a few short term jobs till October 2010 when I found the job I liked on a full time basis. This organisation sponsored my work visa starting Jan 2012. I decided to get married in March 2014 and apply for my wife’s visa from India via VFS.

My wife is an Indian citizen, like me. She had never been to UK before. I logged her application via the VISA4UK website – which is the norm now. I entered all the required details pertaining to my visa. Also, I had to enter my wife’s details including her addressed in the past 5 years, her parent’s info etc. In the cover letter which is on the last page of the VISA4UK online application, I added a list of all the documents we were going to submit as part of my wife’s visa application.

I made the payment online to get an appointment exactly 5 days after the wedding day.
The idea was to get the marriage certificate issued in these 5 days. All other documents are pretty straightforward and were ready even before I went to India to get married.

We opted for document submission in person.
The CATEGORY was PBS TIER 2 GENERAL and TYPE was TIER 2 GENERAL PARTNER
TYPE OF VISA: PBS Tier 2 General
PURPOSE OF APPLICATION: Work
TYPE OF APPLICATION: Tier 2 General Partner

We listed the date of planned arrival in UK as 2 weeks after the wedding day - since this seemed enough for visa processing as per UKBA/VFS guidelines. In the question, How long do you intend to stay in the UK, we answered ‘As per partner visa validity’

In Maintenance section,

WHICH ARE OF MAINTENANCE ARE YOU APPLYING UNDER : OWN/MAIN APPLICANT FUNDS
WHAT EVIDENCE OF FUNDS HAVE YOU SUPPLIED : MAIN APPLICANTS/FIANCES BANK STATEMENTS AND PAYSLIPS

This is the list of documents I mentioned in the VISA4UK application cover letter and submitted on the appointment day:

I AM APPLYING TO JOIN MY PARTNER XXXX XXXX, WHO IS ON A TIER 2 GENERAL LEAVE TO REMAIN IN THE UK.

DOCUMENTS INCLUDED FOR THE APPLICATION ARE-

- MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE,
- AAA’s PROOF OF EMPLOYMENT
- AAA’s PASSPORT COPY
- AAA’S BIOMETRICS CARD COPY
- AAA’S PAYSLIPS
- AAA’S BANK STATEMENTS
- AAA’S TENANCY AGREEMENT
- AAA’S COPY OF AIR TICKETS FOR ARRIVAL IN INDIA
- COPY OF XXX’S PASSPORT PAGE SHOWING ENTRY STAMP TO INDIA FOR WEDDING
- COPY OF WEDDING INVITATION
- WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHS
- UK PRE-DEPARTURE TUBERCULOSIS DETECTION PROGRAMME MEDICAL CERTIFICATE
- APPLICANT’S PASSPORT

(please note AAA being me and not my wife)

In addition to the application and supporting documents, on the appointment day the VFS center took Biometric scans and kept all the original docs except for my passport and Biometrics card. This process took around half an hour where only my wife was permitted in the VFS visa center. She was given a receipt which she would have to submit to collect her passport and application support documents.

My wife got a call from the VFS center 3 working days (+ 2 weekend holidays) after the application was submitted that she could collect her passport and original docs. The collection took half an hour as there was a long queue for the collection service. All the original documents along with the passport were returned with the visa stamped inside the passport - the validity being same as my sponsored visa.

I think I have covered what I needed to cover about my application. Even though my case was a very straightforward one, I hope this helps someone. If anyone has any questions regarding my application, I would be happy to answer them in this thread.