ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

May 2014 - Naturalisation Application Timeline

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

carinoso_yo
Newly Registered

Re: May 2014 - Naturalisation Application Timeline

Post by carinoso_yo » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:38 am

Relatively Fat wrote:Checks currying seems to be the sole cause of much misery to many people here. I feel your pain and I'm so sorry this still is the case.

The adjectives used for the noun checks are 'external' or 'necessary' in a way that blame/responsibility for any application falling outside the HO's service rate is undoubtedly being apportioned elsewhere; other Government Departments or countries, that's neither here nor there; it's not them, HO, that is inefficient or incompetent for any delay endured by any applicant.

It is your country of origin that is the cause of the delay, seems to be the impression not without reason in some cases. Very cute of the Home Office.

In my particular case, a political refugee or if you like, a former asylum seeker, it is in the interest of my country of origin to cause me maximum displeasure -- incredulous though I am, I kept imagining the manner in which Home Office officials might have approached this foreign dictatorship asking them with all diplomatic courtesy about the criminal records of, in my case, a dissident/defector. This is comedy of a high order, if you're of a sportive mind, because opposing my former government made me a traitor and fleeing the country rendered me a wanted/escapee. Would my former Government then have had anything nice to say about my character were they asked by the HO? I doubt it very much and doubt they - like my two British character referees - were ever approached. And since my application's been approved and I'm naturalised, I'm left with a fair conclusion, that 'external' checks in my case, which lasted five months and 15 days to process and approve, and in the sense of waiting for replies from my country of origin, were very likely to be smoke and mirrors.

Generally, the current Home Secretary is suspected of sitting on as many as five unfavourable independent reports. http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... on-reports

But more to the point, in today's report (http://icinspector.independent.gov.uk/w ... rt-web.pdf) it is the HO's failure to sufficiently curry out 'INTERNAL' checks that's been hogging the headlines, at least in the case of the former asylum seeker who'd self-declared killing someone. That is, the cases they have in files within their own department i.e. Screening Interview etc - weren't always thoroughly checked, regardless of time checking took elsewhere externally. http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... ome-office

Just to quote the report's author John Vine OBE "Apart from automated police and immigration checks, virtually no other checks were conducted to establish the good character of applicants who had applied to become naturalised as British citizens.
Furthermore, I was concerned that the eligibility requirements in respect of referees were disregarded
and played no part in the decision-making process."

Some external checks indeed!
The HO normally do not do checks on REFUGEES with foreign governments except in few cases where a refugee is involved in war crimes or terrorism due to UK commitments ..otherwise checks should be made exclusively within the UK, that's what I was told by immigration solicitors..The terrible puzzle is: Why these bloody checks take few weeks for some applicants but have no time limit for many others?! We all paid the same amount of money and should normally treated accordingly! But it seems we can not do anything about it just to wait..wait..wait..About MPs they are just BS .. All they can do is to contact the HO on our behalves..They do not really care and nobody cares, it's only when a miracle happens and the HO send the decision..

Relatively Fat

Post by Relatively Fat » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:48 pm

You are right and I share your views, carinoso_yo. We are all terribly puzzled by the cumbersome bureaucracy of the Home Office and their slowness in processing some applications - May applications in particular - whilst much recent ones took/are taking few weeks to process - more puzzling when people say that their May applications fall within the 'straightforward' bracket.

So the only thing that could reasonably account for the Home Office's very bad service and inefficiency is their breathtaking incompetence rather than anything else. This is contrary to what some waiting people seem to be suggesting above and asking others to list their names and nationalities for i.e a conspiracy or discrimination or a prejudice against some applicants' nationalities, race, faiths etc. I mean if it's a conspiracy, what else might delay an applicant? Their name? Date of birth? Method of payment? Which council they used to apply? etc

Relatively Fat

Post by Relatively Fat » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:51 pm

Oh and before I leave, I'll be launching a formal complaint to the Home Office about the very bad service I received from them during my application, and will be asking them if anything is being done to improve their customer service. I think all successful applicants should do this - they have nothing to lose or fear but if there's the smallest chance that this might help others, then why not be public-spirited and do it?

carinoso_yo
Newly Registered

Post by carinoso_yo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:15 am

Relatively Fat wrote:You are right and I share your views, carinoso_yo. We are all terribly puzzled by the cumbersome bureaucracy of the Home Office and their slowness in processing some applications - May applications in particular - whilst much recent ones took/are taking few weeks to process - more puzzling when people say that their May applications fall within the 'straightforward' bracket.

So the only thing that could reasonably account for the Home Office's very bad service and inefficiency is their breathtaking incompetence rather than anything else. This is contrary to what some waiting people seem to be suggesting above and asking others to list their names and nationalities for i.e a conspiracy or discrimination or a prejudice against some applicants' nationalities, race, faiths etc. I mean if it's a conspiracy, what else might delay an applicant? Their name? Date of birth? Method of payment? Which council they used to apply? etc
Nice dear Relatively, your quotes are always useful. Although you were granted citizenship but you did not leave the thread and still participating positively..Thank you for your help and very good luck in the future..

slaluc
Newly Registered

Post by slaluc » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:57 pm

Hi everyone,

just curious has anyone got a reply from UKBA where their care was denied bas on non compliance with leaflet BN7?

I applied in May 2014 got a rejection in September.
Case is I am EEA national PR holder from april 2013, away for pregnancy and delivery and back in May 2014.
I was told that because I was away in the last year for more than 90 days I am not eligible for naturalisation based on BN7.
Till the day I have received my rejection I never heard of BN7 and we had to sign a declaration that we have read and understood the Booklet and Guide AN not BN7.
In section 6 of AN Booklet it clearly says that EEA national has to have a PR (or be eligible for one) and wait for 1 year before applying - which I did.
Also EEA nationals are eligible to be away for more than 6 months and up to a year in any of the 5 year qualifying period for important reason such as pregnancy and delivery. Which was my case and I have provided medical card with all appointments and doctor signatures and also a birth certificate.
Further more EEA members PR will not be broken if away for under 2 years - which again was not my case - 351 days according to my case worker.

So are any of you aware of a BN7 leaflet? And if it is sooooo important as to decide my application and disregarding the mentioned guide and booklet why are we not made aware of it?

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:36 pm

@slaluc,
you are mixing between the requirements to secure PR based on European regulations and obtaining UK citizenship which is a different thing.
For BC, you should not be away more than 90 days in the last year prior to your application. you mentioned that you were away 351 days in the last year( my assumption as you are talking about PR). in theory, you were away nearly 12 months prior to your application. if this is the case, I personally do not think even discretion will be exercised in your case!!

Eagle-Man
Newly Registered

Post by Eagle-Man » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:38 pm

Hi Everyone,
My seventh month is now gone since 08/05/2014 and not any positive NEWS????
Yes...it is very frustrating when you hear about October applications have received their decision in a few weeks????

So many questions to be asked!!! But NO ANSWER?
1. Is the process fair?
2. Is the process transparent?
3. Is the process selective?

I agree with all the necessary checks that Home Office have to do. Including the Country of origin criminal records checks! But this should be done for every applicant and not SELECTIVE???? Furthermore these checks should have been done since the day one that anyone is registered in the UK???

WHY this haven't been done before? Or.... now is the best time for the Home Office to grab a bunch of people that have met all the criteria and paid the same fee as others... just to cover up their mistakes that have been done in the past....!

Unfortunately we are that bunch of unlucky people and have to pay the "waiting time" price...But if you have nothing to worry just be positive and the Good News will arrive at some point....one day hopefully.

Best wishes to everyone. :lol:

Nationality5
Newly Registered

Post by Nationality5 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:27 pm

Applied on 12 May and still waiting. I have been following this forum and its been very useful.
The waiting continues.Its been a very painful 7 months so far.

Lcj

Post by Lcj » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:05 am

Hi everyone, I applied on 27/05/14 and still no news yet very frustrating.

Samaralady

Post by Samaralady » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:28 pm

Eagle-Man wrote:Hi Everyone,
Yes...it is very frustrating when you hear about October applications have received their decision in a few weeks????

1. Is the process fair?

I agree with all the necessary checks that Home Office have to do. Including the Country of origin criminal records checks! But this should be done for every applicant and not SELECTIVE???? Furthermore these checks should have been done since the day one that anyone is registered in the UK???

WHY this haven't been done before? Or.... now is the best time for the Home Office to grab a bunch of people that have met all the criteria and paid the same fee as others... just to cover up their mistakes that have been done in the past....!

Unfortunately we are that bunch of unlucky people and have to pay the "waiting time" price...But if you have nothing to worry just be positive and the Good News will arrive at some point....one day hopefully.

I couldn't agree more!!!
„Zwei Dinge sind unendlich, das Universum und die menschliche Dummheit, aber bei dem Universum bin ich mir noch nicht ganz sicher.“
Albert Einstein

mero2
Newly Registered

Post by mero2 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:44 pm

7 month and counting...no idea when this wait will be over. The most annoying thing is not telling you clearly why the delay or how long it's gonna be..just feels like money paid and that's it.

Samaralady

Post by Samaralady » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:56 pm

mero2 wrote:7 month and counting...no idea when this wait will be over. The most annoying thing is not telling you clearly why the delay or how long it's gonna be..just feels like money paid and that's it.
Do whatever you can. Write to your MP. Call them every day if need be. Send them letters every day if need be. Just don't be passive. I hope you'll be successful soon, I understand how you feel, I've been waiting for 6 months today and I am absolutely dismayed by the service provided by the Home Office.

Kxx
„Zwei Dinge sind unendlich, das Universum und die menschliche Dummheit, aber bei dem Universum bin ich mir noch nicht ganz sicher.“
Albert Einstein

Vsharma
Newly Registered

Post by Vsharma » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:04 pm

Just to update all you guys I wrote to my mp about a month ago and had a reply back today, which says the usual ho crap abt checks, and they will make a decision soon as possible.

musto
Newly Registered

Post by musto » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:13 pm

Hi all just got a reply from my MP and it looks like am in for a long haul.

We are unable to provide a timescale for the conclusion of naturalisation applications. This is because naturalisation is not an automatic process and we have to make a number of enquiries before we can reach a decision on whether to grant citizenship. One of the requirements for naturalisation, set out in nationality law, concerns good character. Character is not defined, and a fairly broad view has to be taken when judging whether this requirement has been satisfied.

The extent and length of time taken to complete these enquiries varies according to the particular circumstance of each application. Whilst our service standards are to decide 95% of cases within six months, some cases take longer due to the extensive enquiries that need to be made and due to the requirement to liaise with external agencies, including internationally, we are unable to expedite an application. There is no maximum time limit, as we must be satisfied that each applicant meets the good character requirement. Mr xxxxx will be contacted as soon as a decision has been made.

I hope this answers your query but if I can help further please contact me.

Ugo
Newly Registered

Post by Ugo » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:35 pm

Permanent Residence Application after prolonged Nationality Application

Hello all,

I would be glad if you can give some insight to this dilemma.
I applied for Nationality since May 22 2014, through Nationality Checking Service (NCS) and still no joy.
The application was supposed to be straightforward; Spouse of British Citizen by birth, and we have been living here since 2008, initially on Family permit Visa, then, Residence Card of Family Member of an EEA national (because spouse lived in an EU country before we came to UK together).

I have contacted my MP and she contacted the Home Office and was informed that there is no time limit to nationality applications.

I presently don't have any Visa in my Passport, as Residence Card has expired and this is affecting my career and development and of course I can not travel.

As a result, I am contemplating applying for Permanent Residence which would cost just £55 and hopefully the decision will be made faster before the nationality application.
What do you think guys, has any one passed through this route?

sohail76
Newly Registered

Post by sohail76 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:02 pm

Hi All,
I have applied for naturalisation in first week on May 2014 which was acknowledged 7/05/2014 so it's now about 7 and half month no possitive response so far I am keep calling them and usual reply that I have to wait.
I think all May 2014 applications hanged up due to some reasons and we all are stuck.

Do you have any comments on that.

Sohail

musto wrote:Hi all just got a reply from my MP and it looks like am in for a long haul.

We are unable to provide a timescale for the conclusion of naturalisation applications. This is because naturalisation is not an automatic process and we have to make a number of enquiries before we can reach a decision on whether to grant citizenship. One of the requirements for naturalisation, set out in nationality law, concerns good character. Character is not defined, and a fairly broad view has to be taken when judging whether this requirement has been satisfied.

The extent and length of time taken to complete these enquiries varies according to the particular circumstance of each application. Whilst our service standards are to decide 95% of cases within six months, some cases take longer due to the extensive enquiries that need to be made and due to the requirement to liaise with external agencies, including internationally, we are unable to expedite an application. There is no maximum time limit, as we must be satisfied that each applicant meets the good character requirement. Mr xxxxx will be contacted as soon as a decision has been made.

sohail76
Newly Registered

Post by sohail76 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:10 pm

I have applied for naturalisation in first week on May 2014 which was acknowledged 7/05/2014 so it's now about 7 and half month no possitive response so far I am keep calling them and usual reply that I have to wait.
I think all May 2014 applications hanged up due to some reasons and we all are stuck.
Any comments on that as people have applied in August got approval in October I don't know what's going on with May 2014 applications?
Eagle-Man wrote:Hi Everyone,

1. Is the process fair?

furbs
Newly Registered

Post by furbs » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:46 am

So I gave my MP a call to see if he heard back from the home office... He did just day before yday. and they cant tell me what it says over the phone so now I have to wait till after new years to actually get a written letter from my MP with any updates.. have a feeling it will be a standard home office reply...

this is just plain ridiculous.. if only id waited out a few months and kept the money for longer... my application couldve been processed faster... i cant believe how they can get away with this
7 months 3 days and counting

brightlight

Post by brightlight » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:25 pm

musto wrote:Hi all just got a reply from my MP and it looks like am in for a long haul.

I got exactly same reply from homeoffice and MP,
Still waiting since February, will be a year soon, guys, there are bunch of us, from February 2014 still waiting with no time limit.
Good luck

Summerose
Newly Registered

Post by Summerose » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:21 pm

Hi everyone! I'm new on the forum. I applied May the 2nd, emailed a letter of complaint on the 1st of December, and just relieved an email back stating:

"Thank you for your email correspondence of 1 December about your application for naturalisation as a British citizen and also the application for registration made on behalf of your son xxxx
I am sorry that it is taking longer than we would wish for your applications to be processed and that you feel our service did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Our service standard is that we will complete 100% of cases within six months. Where further information is required the case may take longer to decide. Further information is available on the following link: http://www.gov.uk/government/organisati ... r-services.

Prior to making a decision on British Citizenship we undertake various checks. We are currently undertaking further checks to establish if all the requirements for citizenship are met in your case.

We will endeavour to finalise your application at the earliest opportunity, and will write to you again as soon as the necessary checks are complete. I can assure you that, as soon as we are in a position to reach a decision, you will be notified accordingly."

Anyway, I guess this is not very helpful- however, I also found this link https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... reening--3, maybe my country might be on that list hence the delay. I guess one could use FOI to request the list of countries? Maybe?

Good luck to everyone, we continue to wait.... :|

stokbrig

Post by stokbrig » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:21 pm

Summerose wrote:Hi everyone! I'm new on the forum. I applied May the 2nd, emailed a letter of complaint on the 1st of December, and just relieved an email back stating:
......Anyway, I guess this is not very helpful- however, I also found this link https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... reening--3, maybe my country might be on that list hence the delay. I guess one could use FOI to request the list of countries? Maybe?
In practice,there is list of 32 high risk countries whose nationals face tougher action when they arrive in Britain . They are updated quarterly and signed off by the immigration minister.
The innocent citizens of these countries are unknowingly being discriminated against solely on the grounds of their nationality or race!!
Do we expect the officers to treat individuals professionally regardless of their nationality and take any allegation of discrimination seriously as they said : "The ability to differentiate between the risk posed by particular nationalities does not permit individual decisions to be made solely on the basis of a person's nationality."

nkim2222

Post by nkim2222 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi all i applied on the 16 June am a Kenyan citizen..what reply dithey sent u back.....this ridiculous ..

furbs
Newly Registered

Post by furbs » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:37 pm

Hi guys
I have received a reply from my MP who contacted home office for me.

Assistant Director of Customer service operations Mrs Sanjeev had replied

They have said the standard that they are doing some checks but they have said
OUR TARGET FOR CONCLUDING THESE CASES IS 27TH FEBRUARY 2015
If it is not done by then they will write to me again.

Finally little hope..

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Post by akhurshid » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:12 pm

First helpful reply from HO I have to say.

furbs
Newly Registered

Post by furbs » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:31 pm

akhurshid wrote:First helpful reply from HO I have to say.
My local MP is Simon Hughes and he is Minister of State for Justice and Civil Liberties so i guess that could have made some difference
or maybe theyre just starting to give useful replies?
I dont know
i am just glad he could get some information out of them...