ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

freedom of movement - British citizen and non-EU spouse

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sudhar
Newly Registered

freedom of movement - British citizen and non-EU spouse

Post by sudhar » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:50 am

Hello,

I'll soon get my naturalisation certificate and hope to apply and get a British passport soon after that as well. My wife is Indian and currently on FLR(M) until Oct2014. We would like to travel in Europe after I get my passport. I've seen a lot of information on here and online re: the Directive 2004/38/EC but confused with getting residence cards or Schengen visa for her. So I apologise if I'm asking the same questions which have been replied for already

1) My understanding is that it's just easier to get a Schengen visa for my wife(which should be free once I have my British passport?) than the residence card. Is this correct please?
2) Does she need to have definite travel plans (accommodation and travel reservations in each Schengen country where we'd like to travel) to support her application for Schengen visa? Or is it enough to apply with my British passport, her Indian passport and marriage certificate and just say when we plan to travel on the application please?
3) Her marriage cert is from India. Will this be recognised for the Schengen visa application please?
4) Is there a standard minimum time period the Schengen visa will be issued by all the Schengen countries in her case i.e. applying as a spouse of British citizen? or does this vary depending on the Schengen country?

Many thanks,
Sudhar.[/img]

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:03 am

Moved to Europe section.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:11 am

As a British citizen, your wife can benefit from the terms of the directive. In her case, she will be able to apply for a free-schengen visa. She will not be required to provide evidence of accommodation, funds or insurance. The application form specifies what sections are required to be completed and which are not.

Marriage certificate may be required to be translated depending on the embassy.

Visa can take up to three weeks.

xplor3r247
Newly Registered

Re: freedom of movement - British citizen and non-EU spouse

Post by xplor3r247 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:32 am

HI,

Where can one apply for a free schengen visa? Which website?

Thanks

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:21 am

xplor3r247 wrote:HI,

Where can one apply for a free schengen visa? Which website?

Thanks
There isn't any single website.
where are you located? which country are you planning to visit?

xplor3r247
Newly Registered

Post by xplor3r247 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:43 pm

The person i am inquiring on behalf of is a British Citizen living in UK but wants to take his wife (Non British/Eu citizen) to Portugal and Spain.

Thanks

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:46 pm

xplor3r247 wrote:This is my first time on here and I am aware this topic has flooded this site, i really really needs your help please.

I am a British Citizen living in the UK. My wife (legally married in UK) is a Pakistani citizen who has LTR in the UK and is issued with a Biometric Residence Permit Card.

I am planning a weeks holiday to Portugal and would like to take her with me. I would like to know if she can travel with me without any problems or would i need to arrange a Visa for her? I have read some many articles online which have now confused me :(

Majority of the research suggests under the EU freedom of movement she can travel to Portugal providing i travel with her and she has a residence card.

So would she need a visa? Or any other documentation?

I really hope someone can help.

Thanks.
The residence card in this case refers to EEA 2 Residence Card (family member of a EEA citizen); not the UK biometric residence permit card. hence a visa is required and she will need to apply at Portugese embassy. Visa will be issued free of charge.