ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

anyone suceeded in getting the Belgian permanent RP?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

xy_marshall
Newly Registered

anyone suceeded in getting the Belgian permanent RP?

Post by xy_marshall » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:02 pm

According to belgian law, I saw it's the foreigners can have Belgian permanent RP after full time working for 5 years.

But I also heard many rumors about 3 years, anyone suceeded in getting the blegian permanent RP only after 3 years full time working?

Thanks a lot for helps

xy_marshall
Newly Registered

Post by xy_marshall » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:37 pm

anybody knows? Thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:34 pm

xy_marshall wrote:anybody knows? Thanks
Possibly via marriage? Seems the norm in EU, 5 years working, or three years marriage.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:31 pm

You can apply for naturalisation in Belgium after 3 years of residence however it appears that you require a specific residence permit which you usually only obtain after 5 years of residence. There seems to be no clear information on this anywhere.

There are 2 main theories why the Belgians eased the naturalisation laws in 2000. To integrate illegal immigrants by allowing them to become citizens and dealing with the controversy regarding voting rights of immigrants which was quickly solved by allowing them to become Belgian and by default have voting rights.

The law is sometimes referred to as the 'Snel-Belg-wet' literally Quick-Belgian-Law referring to the reduction of the residence requirement to 3 years.

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalisatie (Dutch)
http://www.diplomatie.be/en/services/na ... XTID=42519

oh and finally, marriage to a Belgian citizen gives no direct right to citizenship other than by way of being allowed to stay in Belgium on this basis and after 3 years applying under the regular rules.

xy_marshall
Newly Registered

Post by xy_marshall » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:12 pm

joesoap101 wrote:You can apply for naturalisation in Belgium after 3 years of residence however it appears that you require a specific residence permit which you usually only obtain after 5 years of residence. There seems to be no clear information on this anywhere.

There are 2 main theories why the Belgians eased the naturalisation laws in 2000. To integrate illegal immigrants by allowing them to become citizens and dealing with the controversy regarding voting rights of immigrants which was quickly solved by allowing them to become Belgian and by default have voting rights.

The law is sometimes referred to as the 'Snel-Belg-wet' literally Quick-Belgian-Law referring to the reduction of the residence requirement to 3 years.

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalisatie (Dutch)
http://www.diplomatie.be/en/services/na ... XTID=42519

oh and finally, marriage to a Belgian citizen gives no direct right to citizenship other than by way of being allowed to stay in Belgium on this basis and after 3 years applying under the regular rules.
Thanks a lot for the above information.

I'm surprised to see the simplicity of applying for the belgian nationality. Only 3 years whatever the applicant's residency status is? Many EU countries only allowe the working status from the applicants, and 5 years for RP only, 1 or 2 years more for nationality.

Seems Belgium has just one shot for everything.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:43 pm

xy_marshall wrote:[I'm surprised to see the simplicity of applying for the belgian nationality. Only 3 years whatever the applicant's residency status is? Many EU countries only allowe the working status from the applicants, and 5 years for RP only, 1 or 2 years more for nationality.
It is a short period. In many European countries 5 or 6 years' residence is required; in Luxembourg it is (I believe) 15 years.

xy_marshall
Newly Registered

Post by xy_marshall » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:22 pm

Christophe wrote:
xy_marshall wrote:[I'm surprised to see the simplicity of applying for the belgian nationality. Only 3 years whatever the applicant's residency status is? Many EU countries only allowe the working status from the applicants, and 5 years for RP only, 1 or 2 years more for nationality.
It is a short period. In many European countries 5 or 6 years' residence is required; in Luxembourg it is (I believe) 15 years.
I have been staying in this country for 2 years and I'm considering to change a job to Holland due to the tax and payment reason. It would be realy a pity I have to give up something else (the identity) which just need 1 year hang in here.

I just had a first hand experience from one of my friends, she got Belgian nationaly after 3 years working status in Belgium since 2000. However she asked for a laywer service to help in this case and it took her another 6 months to get this done

xy_marshall
Newly Registered

Post by xy_marshall » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:34 pm

I'm about to change to my third year residency permit after my full time job here for 2 years. Whatever the result is, I'm gonna to give a try to request the local city hall to give me a 5 years permanent PR although I haven't completed 3 years of residency yet. But I will argue I will do this with some proof, like keeping the home address in Belgium, continue working as full time empolyer since I will have work permit renewed first to prolong my PR etc.

Will appreciate the opinions if this can be successful and what I should prepare and pay attention to.

Thank you.