ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 Registration for Child - Travel on Indian Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

prasi

MN1 Registration for Child - Travel on Indian Passport

Post by prasi » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:49 pm

I already tried to figure out answers from previous posts. But unfortunately I couldnt. Would some experts please look into this?

Child Details:
-> Born in UK. (Parent do not have ILR when child born)
-> Currently holding Indian Passport.
-> Also has T1 general dependent visa until Jun 2015. (not BRP. A visa stamped in India)

Parents Status:
-> Both parents about to apply ILR very soon.

Issue:
Child would like to travel out of UK on Indian Passport while MN1 registration application is under process and is expected to come back before his current visa expires (i.e. jun 2015). I wonder what happens to the child nationality status during the course of the trip.

Questions:
1) In this case, which of the following events (a or b) mark the child as "acquired british nationality" ?
a) Getting an approved registration certificate (or)
b) Taking oath after getting registration certificate

2) Can the child travel out of UK on Indian passport while the MN1 registration application is under process ?

3) If the MN1 registration certificate is approved while the child is in India, does the child immediately loose his Indian citizenship ?

4) If the answer to question 3 is "Yes", does the child still use the 3 month grace period to travel back to UK on the Indian passport and surrender it in HCI London ?

5) If such grace period can be used, when does the 3 month clock start ?

6) What is the best advice you can give for the issue mentioned above ?

Thanks in advance for advice

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: MN1 Registration for Child - Travel on Indian Passport

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:20 pm

Firstly, children do not take the oath ceremony. They only receive the certificate of Registration, it is the date on this document which is the effective date of British Citizenship. The 90 day grace period would probably start on the date of acquiring foreign citizenship.

If you apply for childs' MN1 using NCS, then the child is free to travel once application is submitted as NCS will take photocopies of all the documents and passport. This is assuming you are applying for ILR in person and not postal as you will need ILR before you can apply for child on MN1.

If you are concerned, why not wait till the child is back from India and then apply for citizenship on MN1.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

prasi

Post by prasi » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:43 pm

CR001 wrote:Firstly, children do not take the oath ceremony. They only receive the certificate of Registration, it is the date on this document which is the effective date of British Citizenship. The 90 day grace period would probably start on the date of acquiring foreign citizenship.

If you apply for childs' MN1 using NCS, then the child is free to travel once application is submitted as NCS will take photocopies of all the documents and passport. This is assuming you are applying for ILR in person and not postal as you will need ILR before you can apply for child on MN1.

If you are concerned, why not wait till the child is back from India and then apply for citizenship on MN1.

Dear CR001,

Many thanks for a quick reply.

I am applying for ILR in person. I am taking up child's MN1 immediately after my ILR. The child's travel to India is not yet planned and booked - There are "chances" that wife needs to travel for some good reasons and child will have to accompany her in such case. So, I just thought of having a proper plan in advance with all doubts cleared.

By the way, would you please point me to the source which details about the "90 day grace period" ? I only came across it very recently and would like to refer to original wording for my understanding.

Thanks again for valuable advice

prasi

Post by prasi » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:09 pm

prasi wrote:
CR001 wrote:Firstly, children do not take the oath ceremony. They only receive the certificate of Registration, it is the date on this document which is the effective date of British Citizenship. The 90 day grace period would probably start on the date of acquiring foreign citizenship.

Dear CR001,

Many thanks for a quick reply.

I am applying for ILR in person. I am taking up child's MN1 immediately after my ILR. The child's travel to India is not yet planned and booked - There are "chances" that wife needs to travel for some good reasons and child will have to accompany her in such case. So, I just thought of having a proper plan in advance with all doubts cleared.

By the way, would you please point me to the source which details about the "90 day grace period" ? I only came across it very recently and would like to refer to original wording for my understanding.

Thanks again for valuable advice
I just figured out the three month grace period is indeed being quoted here as well.

Thank you.