ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen visa for Italy - postal application query

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Brit Chick

Schengen visa for Italy - postal application query

Post by Brit Chick » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:18 pm

My husband needs to apply for a Schengen visa as we intend to visit Italy sometime in the immediate future, however I notice that the Italian Embassy in london doesn't accept postal applications and we live around 120 miles away from the embassy.

Is there any way round this? Could we make a postal application for a schengen visa at another embassy and if so, which one could we apply at that won't require us to provide details of flights and hotel bookings etc (since we'd really be going to Italy on the schengen visa).

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Schengen visa for Italy - postal application query

Post by Wanderer » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:36 pm

Brit Chick wrote:My husband needs to apply for a Schengen visa as we intend to visit Italy sometime in the immediate future, however I notice that the Italian Embassy in london doesn't accept postal applications and we live around 120 miles away from the embassy.

Is there any way round this? Could we make a postal application for a schengen visa at another embassy and if so, which one could we apply at that won't require us to provide details of flights and hotel bookings etc (since we'd really be going to Italy on the schengen visa).
France is you best bet, they accept postal apps., but they're bound to want to see proof of your intent to spend your Euro's for the benefit for the French Economy. Like hotel bookings etc.

Don't go anywhere near the Spanish Embassy. Some nasty tales in this forum about them.

Germany is the only other one I have experience of, and you have to go down in person after the obligatory 15 quid 0906 phone call to book. We had to do a 400 mile round trip, and overnight bus since the train didn't get there early enough. Nightmare.

I think u might struggle, read here u'll see most are booked up six weeks at least, and the French idea might not work if you don't intend going to France.

Remember tho the visa is free as the spouse of an EU cit, and indeed, if again u read here you'll find u dont actually need a visa for ur husband if you want to fly by the seat of ur pants.

Search here.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

mym
Member of Standing

Re: Schengen visa for Italy - postal application query

Post by mym » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:33 pm

Brit Chick wrote:which one could we apply at that won't require us to provide details of flights and hotel bookings etc (since we'd really be going to Italy on the schengen visa).
None of them are ALLOWED to require anything more than your passports and wedding certificate.

What nationality is your husband btw?

Have a read of http://ec.europa.eu/commission_barroso/ ... _ec_en.pdf
--
Mark Y-M
London

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:42 am

This is nonsense! CE Directive 2004/38 says a residence from ANY member state is the equivalent of a short-stay visa bfor family members that accompany or join their family members. This has been transposed into Italian law and was applicable from 11 April 2007.

Brit Chick

Post by Brit Chick » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:16 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

I might try applying through the french embassy since I recall seeing day return trips to france for around £10, which will still be worth buying just to get the visa as travelling to london, taking time off work etc would cost far more. Apart from anything else, I tried booking an appointment on the Italian Embassy site for the visa application and they don't have any appointments until the actual day we're due to go to Italy.

So I suppose my next question is - can you apply for a schengen visa at the embassy of one schengen state and then use it to travel to another schengen state?

Mym - my husband is a pakistani national originally.

Brit Chick

Post by Brit Chick » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:35 pm

Actually ignore that last bit, I've discovered the search button and managed to answer my own question. Whoops!

ruaank
Newly Registered

Post by ruaank » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:51 am

Ye I feel ur frustration with this issue - Your best option will be if it is convenience you're after is to go through French Embassy.

Like the others said you will need toprove you staying there for a bit. You must either enter France first ... or remain in france the longest of all Schengen states ... Such a pain I know.

They need flight details, bank statements of funds available, Hotel reservations etc. Also Passport - which I hated doing, but you have to so send Special Delivery! You also need to fill in two forms which u should find easily if you google it.

If you want to use an agency let me know - I have used the same company 3 times.. It is rather on the expensive side these postal applications.

Good luck

mym
Member of Standing

Post by mym » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:32 pm

ruaank wrote:They need flight details, bank statements of funds available, Hotel reservations etc.
No. They don't. In fact they are not allowed to ask for more than the passport and the proof of family relationship. Read my comment upthread.
--
Mark Y-M
London