ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

damaged my citizenship certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

globalindian
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

damaged my citizenship certificate

Post by globalindian » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:24 pm

Hi
I have received my original documents from HM passport office today. But by mistake I damaged my original citizenship certificate while opening the envelope.

Can anybody please advise if I need a replacement? Will it be required anywhere else even if get the UK passport? E.g during my dependant's visa application? Or the passport will be the final form of identification.

Please advise.
:(
Regards

globalindian
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Re: damaged my citizenship certificate

Post by globalindian » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:54 pm

any advise folks?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:06 pm

Your passport should be sufficient but you might want to consider replacing it if it is badly damaged (just in case, you never know).

But whatever you do DO NOT laminate it to keep it together!!

How badly damaged is it?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

globalindian
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by globalindian » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:14 pm

Thanks CR001 for your quick response. The certificate has been torn in the middle since it was folded. Though the torn part is still in tact with the overall certificate and this does not impact any of the characters i.e. the torn part is not impacting any of the written words on the certificate, just impacting the blank area.
Seems i might need it for Indian OCI application.
Please advise.
CR001 wrote:Your passport should be sufficient but you might want to consider replacing it if it is badly damaged (just in case, you never know).

But whatever you do DO NOT laminate it to keep it together!!

How badly damaged is it?

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:34 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

globalindian
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by globalindian » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:37 pm

Thanks Vinny. Just wanted to check if a naturalization certificate is really required anywhere else if I get the passport? e.g. Is it required for my dependent's visa application or OCI application etc? Or does the British passport is sufficient to prove my nationality?

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:40 pm

globalindian wrote: Or does the British passport is sufficient to prove my nationality?
No. Your naturalisation certificate may be much more important than a passport.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

globalindian
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by globalindian » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:43 pm

Many thanks Vinny.

Regards
vinny wrote:
globalindian wrote: Or does the British passport is sufficient to prove my nationality?
No. Your naturalisation certificate may be much more important than a passport.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:44 pm

Indian authorities will also need see your naturalisation certification for issuance of surrender certificate and OCI.

globalindian
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by globalindian » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:52 pm

Thanks ban.s.
ban.s wrote:Indian authorities will also need see your naturalisation certification for issuance of surrender certificate and OCI.

globalindian
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by globalindian » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:39 am

One last question - any idea on the processing timeline for duplicate citizenship certificate? Is there any tracking mechanism?

ATP1983
Newly Registered

Post by ATP1983 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:02 am

globalindian wrote:Hi
I have received my original documents from HM passport office today. But by mistake I damaged my original citizenship certificate while opening the envelope.

Can anybody please advise if I need a replacement? Will it be required anywhere else even if get the UK passport? E.g during my dependant's visa application? Or the passport will be the final form of identification.

Please advise.
:(
Regards
Hi

I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I have damaged my naturalisation certificate while opening the envelope. However only the Edge is torn from top to bottom and nothing of the contents. I have managed to glue it back.

How did u manage?

1)Did u order for a replacement? Its a expensive affair as I see? how long does it take
2)I have got my British passport --but will need to Surrender my Indian passport and apply for OCI-- Will damaged certifctae be a problem here.

Please advice

Thnx