ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 - Changing Employers Guide

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fOOt
Newly Registered

Tier 2 - Changing Employers Guide

Post by fOOt » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:43 am

This guide has been written based on my own personal experience and the information i have gained throughout the process of changing employers under Tier 2 General Category.

Considering you were already under Tier 2 General Visa and have successfully received a job offer from a new employer (they will have asked for all the necessary documents and agreed to sponsor), here are the steps to follow it up correctly:

1. Get a conditional offer letter from the new employer. Read it thoroughly and make sure everything is right.
2. Ask the new employer to generate a CoS (certificate of sponsorship). Once generated, read it thoroughly and make sure everything is right.
3. Once you have your CoS number, make a fresh Tier 2 application. You will not have to show funds or proof of English if you were already on a Tier 2 Visa.
4. Wait for your new BRP to arrive.
5. Once you have the new Visa, ask the new employer to draft a final UNCONDITIONAL offer letter with a start date that corresponds to the notice period that you have to give to your current employer. Preferably, start from the beginning of a new month.
6. Proofread your final contract and sign it. Ask your new employer to report via SMS (sponsorship management system) that you are currently completing your notice period.
7. Once all the above are done, immediately let your old employer know and start the notice period.
8. Complete your notice period and then join your new job!

If anyone can add on to this you are more than welcome. Hope it helps.

conmig
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 2 - Changing Employers Guide

Post by conmig » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:56 pm

Thanks mate!!

rockcbe
United Kingdom

Post by rockcbe » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:13 am

Hello Mate,

Could you kindly let know

List Of Documents Submitted ?
What forms you used to submit ?
Postal / Online / In Person ?

And did you have to go through Immigration Advisor /Solicitors or did you submit them by yourself?

mangoman
Newly Registered

Post by mangoman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:59 pm

Hello,
Would really appreciate if someone could answer this

Changing Tier 2, General to different sponsor (company) do I need to change my depended (family) visa as well

Thanks in advance
Regards

abadreddine

Post by abadreddine » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:15 am

Thanks for the information. I've this query:
When the new employer issued COS should the date of starting work be specified sothat it's after the notice period with old employer ??
For ex let's say you got job offer in 1 sept and then you start applying for new visa. At this point new COS has to be assigned with a starting date of 1 dec (3 months to account for application process and notice period). So by 1 oct we should get the new visa and resign from our current job. Then we have to wait 2 months which is the normal notice period.
I am worried that this process takes time (3months) which could affect our chances of getting jobs as in many cases jobs are required urgently by employers. Also I wonder if this process is complicated and worth the risks.
You can share your experience

aryan87
Newly Registered

Post by aryan87 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:42 pm

I am thinking to change my Tier 2 employer soon . I have 3 queries regarding that, Can someone with some experience please help me, its URGENT (especially point 2 and 3)-
1.) once I resign, Do i first have 28 days from the last day of my employment to look for new sponsor and if i dont convert or leave the country then UKVI will give me further 60 days to do so?
2.) once I am given 60 days, Can I still look for new sponsor i.e Tier 2 employer in this 60 days period?
3.) Also my wife is on a Tier 2 dependent visa, She has already started a full time course in Uni, Can she convert to Tier 4 visa and then I can convert to Tier 4 dependent visa. Can we do this while we are in UK or we have to go back to our home country to convert to Tier 4. We have already paid the uni fees.

Any help is much appreciated!
Aryan87

AjPS
Mood:
India

Post by AjPS » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:43 pm

Hi, I have a premium appointment tomorrow morning and am submitting my current passport, BRP, old passport, 2 photos & visa fee payment sheet along with the application form. My sponsor has certified maintenance on the CoS, so I am not taking any bank statements and I am not submitting English language evidence as I had already submitted it in my previous Tier 2 (General) application.

Is this list of documents enough ?
Or am I missing something ? Is rental agreement (address proof) needed ?

AjPS
Mood:
India

Post by AjPS » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:46 pm

Hi, I have a premium appointment tomorrow morning and am submitting my current passport, BRP, old passport, 2 photos & visa fee payment sheet along with the application form.

My sponsor has certified maintenance on the CoS, so I am not taking any bank statements and I am not submitting English language evidence as I had already submitted it in my previous Tier 2 (General) application.

uni_guy
Newly Registered
India

Post by uni_guy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:44 pm

Hi Ajps,

I am also going for a priority Tier2 General application (change of employment) , Did you got your new Visa/BPR.

Can you list down the documents submitted, was it fine to not to submit the Address proof ?

chanduv81
Newly Registered

Post by chanduv81 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:22 pm

Hi Guys,
I am new to this site, I need your help in finding out any good consultancy or employer who can do sponsorship. I am here on a Tier 2 general & looking to change my employer. Please someone help in giving some consultancies details or contact so that I can approach them. Thanks a lot in advance.

-Cheers,
Chandu

FaeLLe
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by FaeLLe » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:49 pm

chanduv81 wrote:Hi Guys,
I am new to this site, I need your help in finding out any good consultancy or employer who can do sponsorship. I am here on a Tier 2 general & looking to change my employer. Please someone help in giving some consultancies details or contact so that I can approach them. Thanks a lot in advance.

-Cheers,
Chandu
Sorry dude this is not a job seeking portal, you can find the master list of everyone you can reach out to on the UKBA List of Tier 2 sponsors (Google for it).

From there you could approach eligible sponsors who are in the same industry as you.

Please do not go looking for employment agencies "consultancies" who will hire you to freelance / subcontract you out; that is illegal under Tier 2 General rules and if caught doing that you can be deported from the UK and possibly not re-enter EEA.

missDH
Newly Registered

Post by missDH » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:15 am

That's a very efficient list, thank you.

I have a question, once I get the new COS and apply for a new visa, do I need to stay in the country until I hear back from the authorities or can I leave the country during that period? I am asking because my job requires me travelling and as you mentioned it is better to resign only once the new visa is approved.

Thank you

ratapita

Post by ratapita » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:52 am

AjPS wrote:Hi, I have a premium appointment tomorrow morning and am submitting my current passport, BRP, old passport, 2 photos & visa fee payment sheet along with the application form.

My sponsor has certified maintenance on the CoS, so I am not taking any bank statements and I am not submitting English language evidence as I had already submitted it in my previous Tier 2 (General) application.

Hi AjPS,

Hope you have now successfully received your Visa and happy in your new job. I am currently waiting to hear from a new employer who has applied for addtional CoS from UKVI to assign me. I am thinking of making a Premium appointment as well.
Did you need any other documents than those you mentioned , when you attended the Premium appointment?

Please share your experience- much appreciated! Thanks

ratapita

Post by ratapita » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:57 am

missDH wrote:That's a very efficient list, thank you.

I have a question, once I get the new COS and apply for a new visa, do I need to stay in the country until I hear back from the authorities or can I leave the country during that period? I am asking because my job requires me travelling and as you mentioned it is better to resign only once the new visa is approved.

Thank you
This is just my opinion:

You want be able to travel , while your Visa application is being considered ,as your passport is with the UKVI. This is unless you make a premium appointment , but I believe even then you may want to wait until they send you the new BRP ( I believe this happens within days for Premium appointments), as your old one would be changed and this could cause issues at point of entry in to the country.

ratapita

Post by ratapita » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:58 am

fOOt wrote:This guide has been written based on my own personal experience and the information i have gained throughout the process of changing employers under Tier 2 General Category.

Considering you were already under Tier 2 General Visa and have successfully received a job offer from a new employer (they will have asked for all the necessary documents and agreed to sponsor), here are the steps to follow it up correctly:

1. Get a conditional offer letter from the new employer. Read it thoroughly and make sure everything is right.
2. Ask the new employer to generate a CoS (certificate of sponsorship). Once generated, read it thoroughly and make sure everything is right.
3. Once you have your CoS number, make a fresh Tier 2 application. You will not have to show funds or proof of English if you were already on a Tier 2 Visa.
4. Wait for your new BRP to arrive.
5. Once you have the new Visa, ask the new employer to draft a final UNCONDITIONAL offer letter with a start date that corresponds to the notice period that you have to give to your current employer. Preferably, start from the beginning of a new month.
6. Proofread your final contract and sign it. Ask your new employer to report via SMS (sponsorship management system) that you are currently completing your notice period.
7. Once all the above are done, immediately let your old employer know and start the notice period.
8. Complete your notice period and then join your new job!

If anyone can add on to this you are more than welcome. Hope it helps.

Many thanks for taking the time compile this. It is very useful!

ratapita

Post by ratapita » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:25 am

Just one question for you all,

When making an application for change of employer, is there a place in the paper format/online format where you get to mention that this is a change of employment application?
Or do you have to make an application as a fresh application?

I have been in Tier 2 since 9th April 2011 and extended in April 2014 for another 3 years and now want to change employers ?

Many thanks for any help!

FaeLLe
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by FaeLLe » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:39 am

Change of Employer requires you to make a fresh application and will result in New CoS application.

If your designation changes (example higher designation) then it could result in SOC code change which will result in requiring a RLMT.

Now with the new rules it is up to the Visa Officer to decide if a job really is in shortage so tread carefully before you take a decision.

ratapita

Post by ratapita » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:37 pm

FaeLLe wrote:Change of Employer requires you to make a fresh application and will result in New CoS application.

If your designation changes (example higher designation) then it could result in SOC code change which will result in requiring a RLMT.

Now with the new rules it is up to the Visa Officer to decide if a job really is in shortage so tread carefully before you take a decision.
Many thanks for your reply FaeLLe ! it should be the same SOC , even though the job title is slightly different. I believe they have met the RLMT requirements as the new Manager said he had to write a letter explaining why they were recruiting me. But this was at the stage where they were having to ask for extra CoS, as they have used up all theirs- which I think is one or 2.

My new employer has secured a new CoS for me now- I am just waiting for them to confirm that this is a unrestricted CoS ,as they are not very familiar with all these. ( They said they did not have enough CoS and we had to wait almost 2 months before the new CoS is allocated , which worries me a bit , as an extra unrestricted CoS should have been a bit easier to obtain )
It is such a tricky thing having to ask the HR of a prospective employer if they have done all the right things, without stepping on their toes :(

uniquenezz
Newly Registered

Post by uniquenezz » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:57 pm

Hello,

thank you to every single one of you who's been contributing info on here. Its absolutely brilliant and very helpful.

However I had read one particular thing that concerned me.

I am currently employed by a company under Tier 2 general, and will be changing employer, and as i've read on here i know i need to apply for a 'fresh Tier 2' with new CoS from new employer. I am planning to use the premiums service as well to do so.

Here's my concern

I've read that there's no need for proof of english competency nor maintenance, as i'm already currently under Tier 2, and that my new employer is sponsoring a Certified Maintenance on the CoS. Hence the list of items required (Please can someone confirm if this is accurate) is passport, BRP, 2 passport size photos and visa fee payment with application form. AjPS had posted earlier that he/she is also taking an old passport. Would it be a problem if I couldn't locate my old passport?? The only thing I would have on my old passport was my student visa and PSW which had expired in 2012? I obtained my new passport july 2013, and my BRP was applied using details off my old passport.

Also, i read somewhere on the UKVI website that immigrant approvals are capped at 20,700 people per year and the quota restarts every 7th of April!! !! Will there be any risk of my application being rejected as i'm planning on applying mid March??

Please can someone help shine some light on this subject as i'm kinda panicking now >.< !!

Thank you !!

Thanks a million guys.

ratapita

Post by ratapita » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:14 am

uniquenezz wrote:Hello,

thank you to every single one of you who's been contributing info on here. Its absolutely brilliant and very helpful.

However I had read one particular thing that concerned me.

I am currently employed by a company under Tier 2 general, and will be changing employer, and as i've read on here i know i need to apply for a 'fresh Tier 2' with new CoS from new employer. I am planning to use the premiums service as well to do so.

Here's my concern

I've read that there's no need for proof of english competency nor maintenance, as i'm already currently under Tier 2, and that my new employer is sponsoring a Certified Maintenance on the CoS. Hence the list of items required (Please can someone confirm if this is accurate) is passport, BRP, 2 passport size photos and visa fee payment with application form.
This is correct , I am currently in the process of applying- if you use the online application form it will tell you what to bring in your particular case. Then you can book a premium service
AjPS had posted earlier that he/she is also taking an old passport. Would it be a problem if I couldn't locate my old passport?? The only thing I would have on my old passport was my student visa and PSW which had expired in 2012? I obtained my new passport july 2013, and my BRP was applied using details off my old passport.
There is a place in the paper application/online application to mention what has happened to your old passport if this is not with you. I do not know how this affects your application though.

Also, i read somewhere on the UKVI website that immigrant approvals are capped at 20,700 people per year and the quota restarts every 7th of April!! !! Will there be any risk of my application being rejected as i'm planning on applying mid March??
Speaking from previous experiences , the cap ( at least for Tier 2) is applied through the allocation of Certificates of Sponsorship to each employer, so that they can sponsor only so many. This is normally done around 6/7th April every year.As long as your prospective employer has enough CoS left from 2014/15 allocation, this should not be a problem. If not they will have to apply for extra unrestricted CoS ( which took a hell of a long time for my prospective employer to get). The other option is wait till past 7th April and use CoS from the new allocation

Be careful with the Cos start dates , as this (may ?) have to take account of your Notice period with the current employer and I am in a bit if a jam currently not knowing whether the HR from my prospective employer has done this - still waiting to hear from them on this[/color] :(
Please can someone help shine some light on this subject as i'm kinda panicking now >.< !!

Hope this helps, but may be someone who's gone through the changing of employer process can help better.

Thank you !!

Thanks a million guys.

uniquenezz
Newly Registered

Post by uniquenezz » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:54 am

Hey ratapita thank you so very much it cleared up quite a bit of things.

However though with regards to the yearly allocation of cos cap, does this mean so long my employer is able to obtain a cos (and provided of course all my documents and stuff are all correct and present) the application for visa is usually not a problem ? As the cap applies to cos allocation rather than the actual visa applications ??

Thanks again!

arjuna01
Newly Registered

Post by arjuna01 » Thu May 21, 2015 5:06 pm

My question is can you serve your notice period with an old employer using the BRP that was approved based on the new employer’s COS?

So let’s say I am currently on a Tier 2 visa and based on what you said, it is advisable to get the new visa before resigning. So I get a new visa in August and then I have to serve a 3 months’ notice period with the old employer. Is this allowed by law? My understanding is that you can only use the visa working for the company that sponsors it?

Please advise. Thanks

ravisb_2014
Member of Standing

Post by ravisb_2014 » Thu May 21, 2015 6:57 pm

You can serve notice period based on the start date in BRP.
E.g. If your start date in BRP is 1st Sep, 2015 and your notice period starts from 1st Jun, 2015, then you can serve for 3 months notice period till 31st Aug, 2015 and join new employer on 1st Sep, 2015. Otherwise, you need to negotiate your notice period.
So, plan accordingly.

FaeLLe
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by FaeLLe » Fri May 22, 2015 9:43 am

arjuna01 wrote:My question is can you serve your notice period with an old employer using the BRP that was approved based on the new employer’s COS?

So let’s say I am currently on a Tier 2 visa and based on what you said, it is advisable to get the new visa before resigning. So I get a new visa in August and then I have to serve a 3 months’ notice period with the old employer. Is this allowed by law? My understanding is that you can only use the visa working for the company that sponsors it?

Please advise. Thanks
Quite sure you are not allowed to work for your old employer once you have been allocated a COS from the new employer.

matthrew0306
Newly Registered

Post by matthrew0306 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:52 pm

Hi, thanks for your share. I want to ask an average process time from I got the new CoS to I receive the new visa. I am considering to apply for premium service to fast the decision time. To what extent, the process will be shortened? Reviewing period, receiving BRP or receiving new visa? I really need that information, thanks!