ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing job just 1 month before ILR

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

leeloy88

Changing job just 1 month before ILR

Post by leeloy88 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:51 pm

Hi, I'm so worried right now, please share your similar experience or knowledge on this.

I got a job offer and they want to start in April. I'm eligible to apply for ILR in May. Some questions:

1. I have 2 months notice to serve. So I will ask new employer to have the COS start date to leave time for this. However how do I know for sure they do what I asked? Given that hey will hire some company to do my tier 2 for me and I won't even get to see the COS.

2. I will hand in notice only when I get my new tier 2. But what happened between then and the start date of the new job. Given that it's such big time gap between now and April...what is they change their mind then I'm in big trouble. Are they even allowed to cancel the job offer after the contract had been signed?

I'm just super worried about this but I also want the new job. It's just that I've waited all this time and I'm so close to ILR already. My case is also not quite straight forward as I spent 6 months in India on a business assignment (still paid in gbp and paid UK tax) this shouldn't be a problem but I'm just so anxious about everything.

Is there anything else I should be look out for regarding this changing jobs? Anyone with experience or knowledge on this please share your thoughts.

leeloy88

Re: Changing job just 1 month before ILR

Post by leeloy88 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:44 pm

Anyone please?

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:55 am

leeloy88 wrote:Hi, I'm so worried right now, please share your similar experience or knowledge on this.

I got a job offer and they want to start in April. I'm eligible to apply for ILR in May. Some questions:

1. I have 2 months notice to serve. So I will ask new employer to have the COS start date to leave time for this. However how do I know for sure they do what I asked? Given that hey will hire some company to do my tier 2 for me and I won't even get to see the COS.

2. I will hand in notice only when I get my new tier 2. But what happened between then and the start date of the new job. Given that it's such big time gap between now and April...what is they change their mind then I'm in big trouble. Are they even allowed to cancel the job offer after the contract had been signed?

I'm just super worried about this but I also want the new job. It's just that I've waited all this time and I'm so close to ILR already. My case is also not quite straight forward as I spent 6 months in India on a business assignment (still paid in gbp and paid UK tax) this shouldn't be a problem but I'm just so anxious about everything.

Is there anything else I should be look out for regarding this changing jobs? Anyone with experience or knowledge on this please share your thoughts.
I wouldn't be changing jobs a month before ILR. The expense alone...

If you have accepted a verbal offer (or more formally signed a contract), you AND THE EMPLOYER and legally obligated to abide by this. Not sure what you meant when you said they will have someone else do the CoS? They are legally responsible for you and thus this company needs to be your sponsor. If they do not proceed as they have agreed, you can take them to court, etc... No one on here can predict if they will renig on an agreement and talk to up your visa application.

leeloy88

Post by leeloy88 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:13 am

Thanks physickate.

No expense really incur for me as they pay for everything.

As for the COS what I meant was the company will issue the COS and will have a solicitor do my tier 2 for me, and I will not have a copy or ever get to see my COS to check my start date. What I'm worried is, they put the start date too early and I cannot serve my notice period.

Thoughts?
physicskate wrote:
leeloy88 wrote:Hi, I'm so worried right now, please share your similar experience or knowledge on this.

I wouldn't be changing jobs a month before ILR. The expense alone...

If you have accepted a verbal offer (or more formally signed a contract), you AND THE EMPLOYER and legally obligated to abide by this. Not sure what you meant when you said they will have someone else do the CoS? They are legally responsible for you and thus this company needs to be your sponsor. If they do not proceed as they have agreed, you can take them to court, etc... No one on here can predict if they will renig on an agreement and talk to up your visa application.