ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Alarming rejection of hsmp

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

adnantps

Alarming rejection of hsmp

Post by adnantps » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:51 pm

my friend applied for hsmp; his case is similar to mine( i am on hsmp visa now) ...infact he was one level senior to me in my office ...

he got 0 points in education although he did submit his naric equivalency...

his education background is same as mine and many others who are on HSMP right now....

ill get teh exact text of rejection tomorrow...but this is really alarming...he is applying from paksitan and the university is rated one of teh top computer science insitutes there....( national university of science and technology)

has someone faced with such kind of a problem..please do let me know his proceedings...
adnan

ikon1400

Post by ikon1400 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:00 am

@adnantps

I had a similar experience for my fiances case.

we both applied on same day,same period covered for past earnings,same degree,same comapines e.tc.. Literally if they can find a differnce it was in the names alone. :shock:

But mine was approved in 2 days & her case was refused. but we did a review and then it was approved.

So ask your friend not to loose hope & he can apply a review. If he wants he can go one more level in quoting your reference number in his review to add some weightage. before that you should be fine in sharing your details. Since this is how my fiances case was applied for review by mentioning my application details.

Cheers
ikon

ssoct98@hotmail.com
- thin ice -

Post by ssoct98@hotmail.com » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:35 am

Dont worry its not a big issue just file a review that it is equivalent to naric,he will get approval 100%.
sometime mistakes happened by them.

kjindani
Newly Registered

Exact Text from Home Office

Post by kjindani » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:07 pm

Thanks Adnan for posting my case.

Thanks ikon400 and ssoct98@hotmail.com for your positive response. I am encouraged to apply for a review appeal.

I am quoting the exact text on my NARIC equivalency letter and the UK Home Office Rejection letter.

NARIC

Qualification Bachelor of Computer Science
Assessment: Is considered comparable to British Bachelor (Ordinary) degree standard

Home Office - Rejection Reason (0 points awarded instead of 30)

You stated that you have a degree equivalent to a UK Bachelor degree.
This degree is recognised by National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) as below UK Bachelor standard.
You supplied a letter from NARIC stating that the degree was equivalent to a UK Bachelor degree however we confirmed that the degree is comparable to Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE) standard
In line with the published guidance, no points have been awarded.

I fail to understand the twisted logic of Home Office - When NARIC letter clearly states the degree is comparable to British Bachelor (Ordinary) Degree standard, how can they say it's below UK Bachelor standard.

gordon

Post by gordon » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:35 pm

While a review of the decision would certainly be worthwhile, I strongly encourage you also to bring NARIC to account, in the first instance, since they are the ones that have provided inconsistent assessments. It can't be proper for them to issue letters confirming that your degree is equivalent to a UK bachelor's degree, and then for them to turn round and say otherwise to the HSMP team. And presumably you, the applicant, would not have forked over £400 for the HSMP application if NARIC's degree assessment sent to you had corresponded to the assessments they provide to the HSMP team. Best wishes, AG

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: Exact Text from Home Office

Post by pantaiema » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:49 pm

I strongly remommed your friend to ask for review. If NARIC has confirmend than it must be recognised as equivalent to UK degree.
You have a very strong reason to ask for review.

There is still very tiny possibility tha NARIC make a mistake in issuing letter. But it is not your problem as they have issued U a letter.

kjindani wrote:Thanks Adnan for posting my case.

Thanks ikon400 and ssoct98@hotmail.com for your positive response. I am encouraged to apply for a review appeal.

I am quoting the exact text on my NARIC equivalency letter and the UK Home Office Rejection letter.

NARIC

Qualification Bachelor of Computer Science
Assessment: Is considered comparable to British Bachelor (Ordinary) degree standard

Home Office - Rejection Reason (0 points awarded instead of 30)

You stated that you have a degree equivalent to a UK Bachelor degree.
This degree is recognised by National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) as below UK Bachelor standard.
You supplied a letter from NARIC stating that the degree was equivalent to a UK Bachelor degree however we confirmed that the degree is comparable to Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE) standard
In line with the published guidance, no points have been awarded.

I fail to understand the twisted logic of Home Office - When NARIC letter clearly states the degree is comparable to British Bachelor (Ordinary) Degree standard, how can they say it's below UK Bachelor standard.
Pantaiema

ikon1400

Post by ikon1400 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:52 am

The content of this thread is as good as the subject "Alarming". Refusals like this are real concern for future applicants. :roll:.

@kjindani, you can surely do a review & as gordon said bring NARIC in to the loop as well.

Cheers
ikon

kjindani
Newly Registered

Post by kjindani » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:20 am

@ikon400

Hi, I am filing a review appeal today,

Just yesterday I called up NARIC and they said they stand by their assessment given to me in writing. I also asked them whether they have given any different assessment to Home Office. They said "No" we do not give different assessments to other parties.

Then I called up Home Office and the lady there said that she confirmed with NARIC in general terms and they said "3 year Degree in Pakistan is equal to a Diploma" -

I am really perplexed - How can I bring NARIC to account on this one?

What I am doing is that in my appeal letter - I am quoting my NARIC reference number also and asking Home Office to check with NARIC specifically about my qualification assessment. Also I am quoting the HSMP reference of my friend who got a positive feedback on same degree.

kjindani
Newly Registered

Post by kjindani » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:20 am

@ikon400

Hi, I am filing a review appeal today,

Just yesterday I called up NARIC and they said they stand by their assessment given to me in writing. I also asked them whether they have given any different assessment to Home Office. They said "No" we do not give different assessments to other parties.

Then I called up Home Office and the lady there said that she confirmed with NARIC in general terms and they said "3 year Degree in Pakistan is equal to a Diploma" -

I am really perplexed - How can I bring NARIC to account on this one?

What I am doing is that in my appeal letter - I am quoting my NARIC reference number also and asking Home Office to check with NARIC specifically about my qualification assessment. Also I am quoting the HSMP reference of my friend who got a positive feedback on same degree.

ikon1400

Post by ikon1400 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:25 am

@kjindani,

The move seems to be fine for me. You quote both NARIC & your friends ref number which can really add value to your review.

You can get some contact details of NARIC as well & put them in the review as who assured that they don give "differnt details to others".

Your case is more strong & i see very little chance that you get ur review turned down .so go ahead.

cheers
ikon

vinay shanthi
Member of Standing

hsmp refusals for some doctors working in NHS for > 1y

Post by vinay shanthi » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:08 am

ikon1400 wrote:@adnantps

I had a similar experience for my fiances case.

we both applied on same day,same period covered for past earnings,same degree,same comapines e.tc.. Literally if they can find a differnce it was in the names alone. :shock:

But mine was approved in 2 days & her case was refused. but we did a review and then it was approved.

So ask your friend not to loose hope & he can apply a review. If he wants he can go one more level in quoting your reference number in his review to add some weightage. before that you should be fine in sharing your details. Since this is how my fiances case was applied for review by mentioning my application details.

Cheers
ikon
this has happened to a few others as well. among doctors, even though many of those affected are already working here a few years after being registered with the gmc (statutory body regulating medical profession). a few got rejected for hsmp saying their mbbs not equal to uk mbbs. but same home office has issued them workpermits for working as doctors in nhs !!! how come the degree was good enough then. all these years they have been working in nhs with GMC registration after passing PLAB exam in uk.

but affected candidates have told me atleast 14 other candidates from the same universities (some classmates of the affected candidates even) have got hsmp in past. but home office sticking to its guns saying naric assessment is right and over ruling statutory body GMCs assessment. NARIC is now singing tunes when theatened with legal action that GMC assessment is valid for doctors and theirs is only an advisory role or something like that. also they have told some of the candidates who questioned the assessment methods that they rated all nepal degrees as diploma standard due to the general quality of the education there and not asessing the degrees there. affected doctors are from nepal iraq sudan and a few other countries.

affected candidates even gave names of people from same universities who got hsmp. while on phone they said if that is the case then that would be discrimination but they havent said so on paper and still sticking to their guns. there will be hundreds of senior doctors here from the same universities working here since many years. apparently one person from same university who earlier had hsmp now got rejected on applying for renewal saying degree not good enough. affected candidates have formed a yahoo group to co ordinate individual legal challenges better and share information.

just yesterday one of these got his hsmp after going thru a prominent law firm. he was rejected 3 times earlier. quite a few other candidates are already taking legal avenues as well. most of the candidates are even now working as doctors in nhs on work permits etc and earlier were on permit free training.

majic

Post by majic » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:10 am

Dear All,

I have not encountered an issue like you all have quoted but I want to comment of the unjust and discreminatory evaluations that NARIC has.

I have a Bechelors Degree from Australia i.e. equal to UK Bachelors.
I then spent 2.5 years getting an MS Degree in Pakistan which is also equal to UK Bachelors.

How is this fair?

ikon1400

Post by ikon1400 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:29 am

@vinay shanthi

Quite good info. that you have shared here. This shows the immaturity of CWs dealing the applications. Its really pathetic when we see someone of same calibre getting approved with same set of credentials.

My friend has a application still in complaint for last one month, who had submitted similar set of docs to that of mine. we have same degree, same work experience & infact earnings are litle differnt.

We are waiting to hear his decision & i hope we wil even go legal if the complaint is also turned down. For us 400 GBP is quite a big sum. :roll:

Cheers
ikon

vinay shanthi
Member of Standing

NARIC stopped assessing MBBS

Post by vinay shanthi » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:40 am

have been informed by some affected doctors that after informing them of legal action being considered, NARIC has informed them that they have stopped evaluating MBBS for equivalency now. dont know if this a temporary stop or they will start writing their own laws and over rule statutory body GMC again in assessing doctors. i wonder under what laws they decided they can over rule a statutory body set up by act of parliament.

i know two of the affected doctors who have started legal challenge now for NARIC and home office stance of over ruling statutory body GMC saying their MBBS is good enough to work in UK. since another person they know has been approved now for hsmp after being rejected thrice before but now approved with just a review application and a letter from the law firm and didnt have to go to courts, hopefully their chances are better now. but they are taking no chances and have hired lawfirms to represent them. people should challenge arbitrary procedures where hsmp is issued for similar candidates but rejected for others without valid reason. otherwise how can home office explain not issuing hsmp saying primary qualification mbbs not valid but have let the same people work in uk as doctors on various visas, and even now giving work permits for the same people to work as doctors in nhs.

jd007
Newly Registered

Re: Alarming rejection of hsmp

Post by jd007 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:35 pm

adnantps wrote:the university is rated one of teh top computer science insitutes there....( national university of science and technology)
Sorry to hear about the rejection. NUST (national university of science and technology) is the top university of Pakistan and I strongly believe that it is equilent to UK bechelors degree (on papers- in reality it is better than that).
So you have a good chance of having approval if you go for review. Good Luck and do let us know the outcome of your review.

Jawad.