ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrendering Indian Citizenship - Lost Indian Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ifeelhappy
Newly Registered

Surrendering Indian Citizenship - Lost Indian Passport

Post by ifeelhappy » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:56 pm

Hey Guys,

Don't know if this is the right place to post this topic but couldn't find any other suitable place in the forum.

Both me and my wife got our ILR's sorted earlier this year. We applied for our son's registration certificate and then applied for the British passport. We got the passport fine but the British passport office recently contacted us to let us know the documents were lost by them. The documents included my son's Indian passport, Registration Certificate and Birth Certificate.

We need to travel to India soon and to get an Indian visa we need to surrender the Indian passport (which is now officially lost by the British passport office). I have seen from the VFS website that you only require the photocopy of surrender certificate which I have. I have also requested a letter from the Passport Office stating the documents were lost. Will this suffice if I attach that letter with my son's surrender application? Or will I have to make a police complain and get a reference number and attach that with the application?

Has anyone been through this situation? It would be great if someone could please help us here as we are really desperate.

Thanks in advance and thanks for taking time to read this.

ifeelhappy
Newly Registered

Re: Surrendering Indian Citizenship - Lost Indian Passport

Post by ifeelhappy » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:37 pm

Can someone please help me here?

secret.simon

Re: Surrendering Indian Citizenship - Lost Indian Passport

Post by secret.simon » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:13 am

I think the Other Countries forum would be the best forum to post this query in. However, here is my tupenn'orth.

The best people to advise you would be the Indian High Commission.

My feeling (just a feeling as I have not had the situation) is that as you have the photocopy of the passport and an official confirmation from UKVI (hopefully in writing, on official letterheaded paper-we all know what Indian bureaucracy is like), they would accept it. Just don't expect it to be quick.

Again, the above is a feeling. You are best off contacting HCI London or the relevant CGI if you are based elsewhere in the UK.