ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question regarding Comprehensive Sickness Insurance

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

warblade
Newly Registered

Question regarding Comprehensive Sickness Insurance

Post by warblade » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:58 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following:

I have been living in the UK since 2005, and between then and 2012 I was a full-time student (college and then University). Since I left University I have been working full time and therefore paying NI contributions.

When I first enquired about getting British Citizenship (I am Portuguese) I was told that I needed to have had comprehensive sickness insurance during the period of my studies, which was the first time I ever heard about it (neither college or university ever mentioned this to me).

I recently tried to find out more about this (for sporting reasons, which the sport's governing body isn't exactly being helpful :( ) and there are apparently some ways to get around it.
So far I've heard that:
- if I could show that I had a European Health Card from Portugal for the time that I was a student that would work - although I don't think I had that and I believe that is only for temporary stay?
- a letter from the Portuguese National Health Service confirming that I would have been covered in Europe - I could potentially get this, but does anyone have any examples of what the letter needs to say?
- I was covered by my relatives as they were EU nationals (Portuguese) working full-time in the UK (and therefore paying NI contributions)

Does anyone know if any of those options are valid? Anyone heard of any other ways?

Thank you very much for your help in advance!

crow_raven
Newly Registered

Re: Question regarding Comprehensive Sickness Insurance

Post by crow_raven » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:01 pm

When you say your relatives do you mean your parents?
Are you under 21?
Because if you are I believe that can apply under EEA direct family member, but experts can tell you better.

warblade
Newly Registered

Post by warblade » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:44 pm

Yes I meant my parents. I'm not 21 no, I was 21 back in 2009 though...

crow_raven
Newly Registered

Post by crow_raven » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:08 am

It is arguable that you have automatic gain permanent resident status at the same time of your parents, did your parents applied for the resident card ?
If not I believe that whit your parents P60's and addressing the fact that you at the time were living with then and under 21, you have acquired PR status so you can relay on their treaty rights and you don't need comprehensive sickness insurance.
Experts can tell you this better.

warblade
Newly Registered

Post by warblade » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:20 am

Problem was that after 2007 I was living on my own at University, obviously supported by them. What about the health services (potential letter) from Portugal stating the fact that I was covered by them in any eventuality in Europe, will that help?

As far as I know, they never got a resident card.

And sorry for being a newbie, but who are the experts that you talk about?

Thanks for your help so far!

warblade
Newly Registered

Post by warblade » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:12 pm

So I have a letter from the social services in Portugal confirming I was registered. The Portuguese law states that a portuguese citizen would be covered not just on a temporary basis but also if he/she is studying in the EU.

I can get that letter and the part of the law translated, and can also send in a new EHIC (since I can get a new one, they expire every 3 years in Portugal).

I phoned the Home Office on Friday and they said this would just have to be treated by the case worker and the regulation only stated that they would only accept comprehensive sickness insurance so it would have to be on a case by case basis. Anyone have any experience of this?

The person on the phone also said that because I was over 21 at the time I would normally be considered as independent but I could include my parent's details as I was in theory being supported by them whilst studying.

Anyone have any experience on this? He also recommended applying for a residency card, as that would only cost me £55 and I could see what the answer to that application was... Any help on this matter would be hugely appreciated, I literally have run out of people to ask questions to :(

crow_raven
Newly Registered

Post by crow_raven » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:24 am

Hi when I said experts I mean the moderator's of this forum they have lots of experience.
your case its a bit complex I believe as you came in 2005 with your parents but in 2009 you were 21 so saying this after you reach the age 21 you not considered dependent anymore by law.
because of that you can not claim that you gain permanent resident as a dependent of your parents as only 4 years had pass and PR is after 5 years using yours or your direct family treaty rights, so think that you have few options apply for naturalization and write a covering letter explaining your situation to the case worker, that you were studying and fully supported from you parents as well as they been working in the UK for this amount of years using they treaty rights or you can wait and until you have the full requirements on your own and in the meantime you can apply for this PR card you will be only gambling £55 and if they give you the card you can go ahead with your idea.
regarding the EHIC I never heard about it but I believe that will be very difficult this way.
espero que isto te ajude mas tu podes sempre esperar por um dos moderadores deste fórum talvez eles te saibam dizer melhor que eu. :wink:

Storm_b_ringer
Newly Registered

Post by Storm_b_ringer » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:22 am

warblade wrote:So I have a letter from the social services in Portugal confirming I was registered. The Portuguese law states that a portuguese citizen would be covered not just on a temporary basis but also if he/she is studying in the EU.
Can you give me the contact details of social services in Portugal? I may need to get that letter too (not for studying though... for being self-sufficient). However even though I have Portuguese nationality I never lived in Portugal so I'm not sure if social services would have any details on file for me in order to confirm that I was registered.

Having said that, did you submit this letter in the end? If so, how did it go?

Many thanks! Obrigada!

Storm_b_ringer
Newly Registered

Post by Storm_b_ringer » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:59 pm

I received a private message regarding this thread but I can't access it because my registration is new and I haven't posted enough. Can the moderators help me with this?

Storm_b_ringer
Newly Registered

Post by Storm_b_ringer » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:41 pm

Storm_b_ringer wrote:I received a private message regarding this thread but I can't access it because my registration is new and I haven't posted enough. Can the moderators help me with this?
Never mind. I've just read that newbies must have at least 10 posts to access private messages. :(