ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

new english test

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

badmaash

new english test

Post by badmaash » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:25 am

here is a link where gordon brown plans to intorduce compulsory english requirement on all those from outside the EU

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6985661.stm

but what the fool does not understand that there are so many from the Eu who dont speak a word of english like the poles , romanians , bulgarians and the rest

but those from singapore , australia, new zealand , all all of course native english speakers , so they imply a test where they would have to pay to prove they speak english this would be unfair and daft

i think that all eu citizens should be put at that test too why are always non eu citizens singled out

and if i were the prime minister i rather want people from australia new zealand and singapore to come to the uk then those from poland or romania they have much more to offer in ters of quality

this is my opinion

i wait for replies

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:41 am

I dont know why you think the default language in Singapore is English, its Chinese. Frankly your comment is again inflammatory and I think borders on what you were admonished against doing in the future. If I was you, I would retract your comment pronto.
However, what is your problem that you have to find some outrageous insideous motive or make a silly comment regarding every decision and rule. At least put in the non immigration section. The UK has several agreements with the EU and as such it is logical that they would exempt EU citizens from the English requirement. Plain and simple. And frankly, immigration from the day it was formalized has always had an element of zenophobia so what else is new about implementing requirements that make it harder to enter the country. If you want to be here, play the game and deal with the rules.

maveli62

Post by maveli62 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:33 am

The new test is absolutely meaningless as it applies only to non-EU citizens. 90% of the non-EU citizens coming to UK can talk English and only less than 25% of EU citizen comin to UK can speak English. The argument is that knowledge of English is to intgrate the new comer to Uk society. So UK doesn't want EU citizens to integrate ?

On a lighter note, UK doesn't want this for EU citizen is may be b'cos the ancestors of the royal family couldn't speak English!

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:15 pm

maveli62 wrote:The new test is absolutely meaningless as it applies only to non-EU citizens. 90% of the non-EU citizens coming to UK can talk English and only less than 25% of EU citizen comin to UK can speak English. The argument is that knowledge of English is to intgrate the new comer to Uk society. So UK doesn't want EU citizens to integrate ?

On a lighter note, UK doesn't want this for EU citizen is may be b'cos the ancestors of the royal family couldn't speak English!
WTF what is your source regarding whom knows English?

AlexCh

Post by AlexCh » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:43 pm

Isn't there already a requirement of English language knowledge for those who come via HSMP? If yes - what exactly will change? Will they apply the same requirement to work permit applicants?

Markie

Post by Markie » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:52 pm

It will apply to all skill-levels...for non-EU/UK workers
AlexCh wrote:Isn't there already a requirement of English language knowledge for those who come via HSMP? If yes - what exactly will change? Will they apply the same requirement to work permit applicants?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:00 pm

maveli62 wrote:The new test is absolutely meaningless as it applies only to non-EU citizens. 90% of the non-EU citizens coming to UK can talk English and only less than 25% of EU citizen comin to UK can speak English. The argument is that knowledge of English is to intgrate the new comer to Uk society. So UK doesn't want EU citizens to integrate ?
Well it does want those from other EU states to integrate but the rules of the EU are that a language test cannot be imposed.

Same applies for British citizens settling in France, Spain or Cyprus - they cannot be forced to learn the local language if they really don't want to (although it makes life much easier if they do).

The only incentive EU member states can use to get migrants from other EU states to learn the language is to make it a requirement for naturalisation (eg the Life in the UK Test in Britain, which applies to EU and non-EU alike seeking naturalisation).

There is of course a strong argument that the time has come for the United Kingdom to negotiate a fundamentally different relationship with Europe that would restore the U.K.'s ability to control its own borders and impose limits on entrants from EU member states. But that is not the way things are today.

Fairtrade

Post by Fairtrade » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:52 pm

Another stunt by the Uk government to pretend they have immigration under control when in fact it is far from the truth?

badmaash

Post by badmaash » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:19 pm

SYH wrote:I dont know why you think the default language in Singapore is English, its Chinese. Frankly your comment is again inflammatory and I think borders on what you were admonished against doing in the future. If I was you, I would retract your comment pronto.
However, what is your problem that you have to find some outrageous insideous motive or make a silly comment regarding every decision and rule. At least put in the non immigration section. The UK has several agreements with the EU and as such it is logical that they would exempt EU citizens from the English requirement. Plain and simple. And frankly, immigration from the day it was formalized has always had an element of zenophobia so what else is new about implementing requirements that make it harder to enter the country. If you want to be here, play the game and deal with the rules.
this is not a inflammatory comment it seems you arte trying to hint to the administrator to get me banned are you ? so i say by you writing the following that is a inflammatory comment
remember actions are by intentions and i only voiced my opinion and by the way english is the main language of singapore even though they are mainly chinese as is very clearly known

i think its far time the uk came out of the Eu it is a shame to be ruled by a bunch of prats from bruxelles who tell you what to do and what not to do

not long ago there was a british empire soon the british will be the slaves of the europeans

from what i can see

something needs to be done
in 10 years time will there be a place on the map called britain lets wait and see what happens

William Blake
Member of Standing

Post by William Blake » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:51 pm

I never trusted Gordon Brown.

From back when he started saying immigrants should do compulsory community service. But compulsory community service is for criminals not because you want a better way of life. Shortly after that he said he was going to release 2000 foreign criminals early so he can deport then and free up space in prison. Clearly with this new English test hi interest is not the welfare of immigrants and their inclusion in society but rather that it will reduce immigration by some 35000.

I think he is being shrewd in how he goes about things. I anticipate he will be a very anti- immigration pm.

just to add for those intersted the word is spelt xenophobia
Every night and every morn
Some to misery are born.
Every morn and every night
Some are born to sweet delight.
Some are born to sweet delight,
Some are born to endless night

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:08 pm

badmaash wrote:
... it seems you arte trying to hint to the administrator to get me banned are you ?
I don't have to hint to the admin anything, they know how to make their own decisions. I am trying to hint to you to try to use better judgment in what you say. It appears to me not very well thought out with an extreme paranoid stance that everything is setup against you. It is an opinion, you don't have to take heed of it.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:04 am

Let us notice this quote from the article:
The government estimates 35,000 of the 95,000 skilled migrants who entered the UK last year would not have been able to show they could speak the language.
Assuming it's true, which it should be at least close, approximately 33% of people coming in as skilled (NOT highly skilled) would not "pass" an English test.

I am curious what level of English is required for a "pass." Generating a 3 or a 4 on the IELTS is far different than getting a 6 or a 7 (required in Australia now, BTW).

It is perfectly reasonable for the government to set some minimal level of English for many reasons .. the real question is what level will it be set at?

The UK is deeply entangled in numerous treaties with the other nations of Europe in a Grande Experiment currently known as the European Union.

If the UK denies entry to people from Europe based upon English language skills, then all the other countries of Europe would be entitled to tell Brits to sod off for the same reasons.

Wouldn't that make for an interesting Europe ...? I'm sure quite a number of countries would be happy to keep Brits out.

Regarding:
ruled by a bunch of prats from bruxelles
I think, badmaash, that you might want to tone down the dose on your medications. You don't seem to have a clear grasp of what 50-some years of treaties and negotiations are all about. You might consider getting educated on the topic before posting such idiocy.

The current shape of the EU has largely been dictated by the UK. If anything, London should consider playing a bit more nicely with the other children in this particular sandbox.

You know, just offering a Devil's Advocate counter-opinion to the mix.

the Admin