ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Covering letter for SET (LR)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

itsejaz
Newly Registered

Covering letter for SET (LR)

Post by itsejaz » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:35 pm

Hi All,
In return to the help I received from this forum, I am posting my covering letter for anyone to use:
Please copy from below and re arrange the text. I tried to upload the work or pdf document with tables etc; but it didn't work.
Good Luck!

Address line 1,
Address line 2, UK
Email:
Mob:
Home Office
SET(LR),
Indefinite Leave to Remain
PO Box 591, Durham DH1 9FS

Subject: Application for Indefinite Leave to Remain (Long Residence)
Dear case worker,

Please find enclosed my application for indefinite leave to remain on the basis of long residence and supporting documents:
Two identical passport size photographs;
Three passports (one current {#} and one previous {if available}) and one BRP (#);
Original PhD degree certificate and letter of attendance from the University;
Original pass notification letter for ‘Life in the UK test’;
Original letter from the employer (Name);
Original birth certificate of my daughter (Name).

Additional information on the application form
Section B15: Living at current address since 09/05/2014. My previous addresses in the UK were:
08/12/2012 to 09/05/2014 Address 1;
10/11/2011 to 08/12/2012 Address 2;
20/09/2010 to 10/11/2011 Address 3;
30/11/2009 to 20/09/2010 Address 4;
30/01/2007 to 30/11/2009 Address 5;
01/12/2004 to 30/01/2007 Address 6; and
06/09/2004 to 01/12/2004 Address 7.

Section D: Immigration history for last 10 years
I entered in the UK on 6th of September, 2004 as a PhD student with a valid visa. I have always:
Applied for visa before expiry date of the previous visa.
Please see enclosed passports and photocopies for details. My immigration history is as below:
Validity of visa Visa sticker on passport or BRP # Type of visa
Sr # Valid from Valid until
1 01/09/2004 31/01/2008 Passport # pg. 19 Student
2 25/02/2008 30/04/2009 Passport # pg. 16 Student
3 20/06/2009 20/10/2009 BRP: # TIER 4 Student
4 31/10/2009 31/10/2011 Passport # pg. 12 TIER 1 (PSW)
5 09/09/2011 15/07/2013 BRP: # TIER 2 (GENERAL)
6 03/05/2013 17/04/2016 BRP: # TIER 2 (GENERAL)
7 24/03/2014 27/04/2017 BRP: # TIER 2 (GENERAL)

Travel date Exit stamp Entry Stamp Days outside the UK # Reason UK valid visa Continuous leave broken
06/09/2004 City 1, Country Manchester, UK N/A N/A Yes No
Pass#: 1 pg. 18 Pass#: 1 pg. 19 Visa # 1

21/07/2005 Manchester, UK * Amsterdam 1 Tourism Yes No
Pass#: 1 pg. 8 Visa # 1
23/07/2005 Amsterdam Manchester, UK
Pass#: 1 pg. 8 Pass#: 1 pg. 18

02/10/2006 Liverpool* Rome, Italy 2 Tourism Yes No
Pass#: 2 pg. 8 Visa # 1
05/10/2006 Rome, Italy Liverpool, UK
Pass: 2 pg. 8 Pass#: 2 pg. 18

13/03/2010 Manchester, UK * Houston, Texas, USA 7 To attend conference Yes No
Pass#: 2 pg. 5 Visa # 4
21/03/2010 Houston, Texas Manchester, UK
Pass#: 2 pg. 5 Pass#: 2 pg. 13
Departure: 20/03/2010

Total days outside UK (excluding traveling days) XX
* Exit was not stamped on the passport.

I also declare that I:
Had a valid visa on leaving and on arrival in the UK, i.e. had a Continuous leave, as shown on the previous page;
Didn’t leave the UK during the continuous leave for
• More than 180 days at a time or
• More than 539 days in total;
Didn’t spent any time in a prison, republic of Ireland, Isle of Man or Channel Islands;
Travelled outside with clear intention/reason of coming back to the UK (i.e. studies 2004 - 2009 and permanent employment 2009 – to date);
Applied for next visa within 28 days before qualifying period (06/09/2004 - 06/09/2014);
Obeyed immigration rules and regulations;
Obeyed and respected the UK Law.
Section D4
I currently hold Tier-2 (general) visa issued in March, 2014 valid until April, 2017. Please see enclosed original letter from employer confirming my permanent employment.
Section D14
I was born in (and hold nationality of) the Country. I do not own any property or business in the Country. My only ties with Country are that my parents (age 76 y and 67 y) live there and regularly visit us in the UK.
Over last 10 years, I have set up my family and developed strong links with the UK. My daughter ‘NAME’ was born here (in the UK, DoB) and relies on the Scottish health and care system. Please see her birth certificate enclosed with this application.
My job and career is built around UK-based industry in the UK North Sea. I actively take part in engineering institutes as a volunteer e.g…….
Section 3 KOLL
I conducted my PhD research in the English language and received PhD in XX from the University XX. Please see enclosed degree certificate and letter of attendance to satisfy ‘English language requirement’. This certificate has been accepted to fulfill ‘the English language requirements’ for my previous three visa applications.
Please also see enclosed original ‘Pass’ notification letter for ‘Life in the UK test’ to satisfy requirements for ‘Knowledge of Life in the UK’.
I trust the information I have provided is satisfactory and meet requirements for the indefinite leave to remain under Long Residence regulations paragraph 276B (with definitions under 276A0-00); however, if you have any questions or queries or require additional information please do not hesitate to contact me on mobile number or alternatively via email XX.

Thanking you,

Sincerely,

Name 25th August, 2014

Leo.Leo

Re: Covering letter for SET (LR)

Post by Leo.Leo » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:26 pm

Appreciate That!

mjay

Post by mjay » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:09 pm

No need to write this type of long cover letter infact no cover letter needed if you are going to apply under 10 year rute than you just need to send
All your passports
BRP card
Life in uk test
Proof of English language
2 photographs
Fee
Latest applications form
That's it

Hairydude
Newly Registered

Post by Hairydude » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:42 pm

mjay wrote:No need to write this type of long cover letter infact no cover letter needed if you are going to apply under 10 year rute than you just need to send
All your passports
BRP card
Life in uk test
2 photographs
Fee
Latest applications form
That's it
Don't you need to include various letters dating 10 years back, proving your presence in the United Kingdom (bank statements, doctor letters, council letters, utility bills, etc...)?

My application was sent through a solicitor and it included a lot of documents.

Leo.Leo

Post by Leo.Leo » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:49 pm

@Hairydude you only need those documents if any of your passport is missing(lost,Stolen) to prove that period.
I Think There is no harm in writing a covering letter so that caseworker can get a clear idea about the application.

Hairydude
Newly Registered

Post by Hairydude » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:56 pm

Leo.Leo wrote:@Hairydude you only need those documents if any of your passport is missing(lost,Stolen) to prove that period.
How sure are you about this? All these documents were requested by my solicitor. Yes, I have all my passports, 3 in fact, covering the entire duration of my continuous stay in the UK.

Same was requested by a friend that applied for the same application.

All these years I've been hoarding letters for nothing? Even to the point where I recall the solicitor asking me to get a letter covering a specific year that was not covered by my letters. Something like 2006 ( I can't remember).

Leo.Leo

Post by Leo.Leo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:38 am

"All the passports you have held during this time. If you cannot provide them all, you must provide the passports you have together with any Home Office letter(s) or other document(s) granting you leave to enter and/or remain in the UK. You should also provide documents of the type listed below to show that you were continuously resident in the UK during any periods for which you are unable to provide a passport."

The above statement is from SET(LR) Application form Page 20. it means if you have all your passports with you then you don't really need to send any additional documents. But it does no harm if you send all these additional documents along with your passports.

Hairydude
Newly Registered

Post by Hairydude » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:21 am

Leo.Leo wrote:"All the passports you have held during this time. If you cannot provide them all, you must provide the passports you have together with any Home Office letter(s) or other document(s) granting you leave to enter and/or remain in the UK. You should also provide documents of the type listed below to show that you were continuously resident in the UK during any periods for which you are unable to provide a passport."

The above statement is from SET(LR) Application form Page 20. it means if you have all your passports with you then you don't really need to send any additional documents. But it does no harm if you send all these additional documents along with your passports.
Thanks for the info. Not sure why my solicitor made us send a folder with a gazillion documents then.

itsejaz
Newly Registered

Post by itsejaz » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:22 pm

Dear All,
yes, I agree that I don't have to write a long cover latter, but I needed to give my previous addresses and to show that I have ties with the Britten, which were not looking great in the application. I looked in the boards to see if I can find a nicely laid letter to start with, but I couldn't find. My curious mind didn't settle until I wrote this.
So, to all those good people out there, Please make us of it if you want to use it. Believe it or not it makes case workers' life easier. After all, they are human; and looking for visas on my three passports was a nightmare for me, imagine a stranger looking for the visas. Additionally, I travelled a lot for the short periods of time and skipped the details here.

@hairydude - in your case of gazillion documents; if your solicitor is handling the case, they are trying to impress you, as well as, making the case worker's life easier. As we don't know the details of your case, I can't comment. It is always good idea to present everything in a kind of one-stop shop, therefore the idea of a file comes in. it is very common in soliciting world to make a file in order to satisfy the requirements. it would be more difficult when you are not satisfying one or more requirements in a clear cut fashion.
What matters in the end is the result, I have got my ILR and I wish you all; All the luck.

Hope it helps.
Regards
mjay wrote:No need to write this type of long cover letter infact no cover letter needed if you are going to apply under 10 year rute than you just need to send
All your passports
BRP card
Life in uk test
2 photographs
Fee
Latest applications form
That's it