ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

new citizen applying for first passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

black_bird

new citizen applying for first passport

Post by black_bird » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi guys, I got my citizenship last year

A question on applying for first passport, if I am in the UK I suppose I will need to send in the application with card details, naturalisation certificate and passport , but may I double check if that is just the current passport? I won't need to send in my old passports for the last 7 years I am in the UK?

Is the processing time 6 weeks, and I can not travel for that time period?

I might look for job oversea, I suppose with the UK naturalisation certificate I could work in the EU? If I relocate will I then need to post the same application and document from oversea? Will there be an interview and would I need to travel back to the UK for that?

Thanks

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Re: new citizen applying for first passport

Post by akhurshid » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:32 pm

You can pay by card if you are applying by post or cash if you are using check and send.

Form and guide asks you to send all your passports even though I have seen people only sending current passport and getting away with it.

If you apply within UK, you normally get the passport in 2 to 3 weeks.

Naturalisation certificate is not a travel document so you can't use that relocate to EU.
You'll need British passport to travel to EU as British citizen.

I don't know much about applying for passport from abroad but what I do know is that it is not a good idea as it takes forever.

bubulinea
Newly Registered

Post by bubulinea » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:32 pm

If you look at the recent posts here you'll see that the processing time at the moment is quite short. 2-3 weeks at most. Mine took 19 days, and that was with Christmas and New Years in between, plus I chose to go to the HM Passport Office near Victoria Station which takes a little longer to get appointments for because it's a busy place. Or that's what the person on the phone told me when I arranged my appointment. Had I chosen Luton it would have been even faster.

black_bird

Post by black_bird » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:57 am

Hi Both thank you for your replies!

Yes I will apply 3rd week in Feb in the UK and then think about relocating to EU, given that I have travel committments early in Feb.

zeusmagnanimous

Post by zeusmagnanimous » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:56 pm

akhurshid wrote: .......................
Form and guide asks you to send all your passports even though .................
I don't think that is true. The guide asks you to send all uncancelled passports which in most cases mean that you just have to send the current passport.

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Post by akhurshid » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:01 pm

Exactly and then they explain what a cancelled passport is.
A cancelled passport is one which has corner cut off or has cancelled stamp on it.
An expired passport and cancelled passport are NOT the same thing.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:50 pm

black_bird wrote:Hi guys, I got my citizenship last year

A question on applying for first passport, if I am in the UK I suppose I will need to send in the application with card details, naturalisation certificate and passport , but may I double check if that is just the current passport? I won't need to send in my old passports for the last 7 years I am in the UK?

Is the processing time 6 weeks, and I can not travel for that time period?

I might look for job oversea, I suppose with the UK naturalisation certificate I could work in the EU? If I relocate will I then need to post the same application and document from oversea? Will there be an interview and would I need to travel back to the UK for that?

Thanks
I had three passport books during my nine year stay as migrant in UK, two expired and one valid till 2024. I sent all three for my UK passport and they got returned and got interviewed and British Passport, all within 20 days.

I say follow the keep it simple logic. :)
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.