ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bachelor degree is no longer fetching points in Calculator

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vtaneja

Bachelor degree is no longer fetching points in Calculator

Post by vtaneja » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:53 pm

Dear Experts,

I have been living in the U.K. for over 6 years now and have had the ILR since December 2013.

I was planning on applying for citizenship but was surprised on checking in the points based calculator that my degree does not get me the requisite points needed to prove my English Language. It says "0 points awarded".

The funny thing is that I have used the same degree for my Tier 1 General as well as ILR applications and I was awarded 30 points in the qualification and 10 points in English skills by the calculator for each of those applications. But now when I put that degree, the calculator says "0 points".

If it helps, it is a Bachelor of Engineering (Computer) from Nanyang Technological University in Singapore. The course was 4 years and degree awarded in 2004.

Has anybody else experienced this ? What are the options now ?

Thanks a lot

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Bachelor degree is no longer fetching points in Calculat

Post by fwd079 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:11 pm

vtaneja wrote:Dear Experts,

I have been living in the U.K. for over 6 years now and have had the ILR since December 2013.

I was planning on applying for citizenship but was surprised on checking in the points based calculator that my degree does not get me the requisite points needed to prove my English Language. It says "0 points awarded".

The funny thing is that I have used the same degree for my Tier 1 General as well as ILR applications and I was awarded 30 points in the qualification and 10 points in English skills by the calculator for each of those applications. But now when I put that degree, the calculator says "0 points".

If it helps, it is a Bachelor of Engineering (Computer) from Nanyang Technological University in Singapore. The course was 4 years and degree awarded in 2004.

Has anybody else experienced this ? What are the options now ?

Thanks a lot
I just put your information and got this:

Country of award: -- Qualification -- Institution -- Length of course -- Subject Grade -- Year of award Points for English language

Singapore -- Bachelor (Honours) degree -- Nanyang Technological University (NTU) -- 4 years or less than 5 -- Engineering -- 2004 -- 10
Correct if I am wrong please.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

vtaneja

Post by vtaneja » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:14 pm

Hi fwd079,

Yes, you are right, but you have put "Bachelor (Honours) Degree". My degree was the "Bachelor Degree" option in the drop down. That is the option I used in all my previous applications.

I don't think I can use the "Bachelor (Honours) Degree" option because my degree certificate says "Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Engineering".

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:48 am

Thanks, I reentered and sadly bar is raised now it seems, I'd recommend English language test.

vtaneja

Post by vtaneja » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:15 pm

I looked at my degree certificate again last night. It says this:

Degree of Bachelor Of Engineering (Computer Engineering)

Awarded to <My Name>

And then it has a paragraph which says "this is to certify that so and so was awarded the Second Honours ...."

Since it says "Honours", can I use the "Bachelor (Honours) Degree" from the drop down ? In that case I do get the 10 points.

Would that work ?

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:19 pm

vtaneja wrote:I looked at my degree certificate again last night. It says this:

Degree of Bachelor Of Engineering (Computer Engineering)

Awarded to <My Name>

And then it has a paragraph which says "this is to certify that so and so was awarded the Second Honours ...."

Since it says "Honours", can I use the "Bachelor (Honours) Degree" from the drop down ? In that case I do get the 10 points.

Would that work ?
That is why I put honours in my initial search because four years Bachelor is usually honours degree, but then found out its not honours then you have looked at it again, and since I think that you have used same degree and UKNARIC letter during Tier and ILR processes, therefore same documents should suffice during citizenship application. I would book NCS and apply, good luck.

vtaneja

Post by vtaneja » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:21 pm

Hi,

I didn't use UKNARIC letter during Tier 1 and ILR process. During those applications, I chose the "Bachelor Degree" dropdown option (from what I can remember, the BAchelor (Honours) Degree) option wasn't even there then, but I don't remember 100%.

Now the Bachelor degree doesn't fetch me points, but Bachelor (Honours) degree does.

I called the Nationality Enquiry centre today and they said they can't comment on this as it is on discretion of the case worker.

So I guess I will book the NCS appointment and apply. Would you happen to know if say the caseworker is not satisfied with the PBS calculator printout , will my application be rejected straight away or will I be asked for additional proof ?

Thanks a lot