ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British Passport online

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

988trader
Newly Registered

Re: Applying for British Passport online

Post by 988trader » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:46 pm

downlights just provide them details of your parents; hundreds of people go through this process without any problems; so stop winging and just give them the details asked for.
I don't know where you are from originally and how simple the process of nationalization is back in your country but I am pretty sure it will involve loads of paper work and bureaucracy (that is if your country lets foreigners naturalize in the first place).

ozzbozz
Newly Registered

Post by ozzbozz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:15 pm

Can i just say when it comes to online regarding anything to do with government stuff be it DVLA or especially Passport.... Don't! They never friggen work.

Also the amount of numpties that have used those bogus websites seriously, if you are finding things daunting and unsure what to put in why wouldn't you go to a recognised place who could answer you questions, ok I may be biased because the guy at my local P.O. was really helpful with my wife's application but I'm they are all better than a website.

You go in to a Post Office and you get it done, guarantee you the passport office are less stringent on apps that come in through the P.O. so more likely to go through a ok. Obviously I'm only going by anecdotal evidence but if it ain't broke why fix it.

Ishtiaq2014
Newly Registered

Post by Ishtiaq2014 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:32 pm

Hi,
I am applying for my children British passport. After my ILR I got them registered as a british citizen. Both of them born in UK before my ILR. I wonder what supporting documents I need to send with the application?

nero44
Newly Registered

Post by nero44 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:47 pm

Hi all,
following a surprisingly swift service for my citizenship & passport, I though I'd share this here as this forum was very helpful in all my applications.

Immigration History: Work Permit (~2008), Tier 1 General (~2010), Tier 1 General Extension (~2012), ILR (~2013), Citizenship (~2014)

For my passport application I've used the online form despite the warnings. I put my parents full name and DOB in the extra comments box. "Parents details if required: ....". Not sure if this did make any difference, but I gladly have not received the infamous please refile letter...

Passport Type: Adult (first time)
Method of application: Online
Date of application: 20/12/2014
Awaiting information from the applicant: 22/12/2014
Dispatched: 22/12/2014
Declaration form received, being processed: 29/12/2014
Date of receipt of interview letter: 30/12/2014
Date of return of documents: 08/01/2015
Date of passport interview appointment: 07/01/15
Date of passport printing SMS: 08/01/2015
Date of passport receipt: N/A hopefully today or Monday

Citizenship application sent 31/10/14 and passport (almost) received 09/01/15. Quite swift turnaround time! Please note that I took a private ceremony, as I had other appointments on the dates suggested by the council.

rajesh9pl
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by rajesh9pl » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:11 pm

Update from my spouse's passport application
Passport for: First time Adult after Naturalization
Application Type: New
Method of application: Both Online and Postal
Date of application: 22/12/2014
Date application received by IPS: NA
Date of return of documents: Asked DX courier to redeliver on 10/01/2015
Date of receipt of interview letter: 31/12/3015
Date of Passport Appointment: 05/01/2015
Date of Passport Receipt: 07/01/2015
She applied online and paid fees. Later, we read on this forum they alway sent you a blank form to fill. We enclosed filled up paper application form too. It worked as they considered Paper application (Paper application number was used as reference) and processed based on fee paid via online.

eantonette08
Newly Registered

Post by eantonette08 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:12 am

eantonette08 wrote:
Hey Guys!!! I just want to ask if there's anyone here who had there address changed during their passport application process. I had my interview last January 2,2015 in Victoria and I asked the interviewer to send the passport to my university address as I am living in accommodation.On January 7,2015 I received a letter saying that they were not satisfied about the information that I have provided and the reason of this is because of my address. They asked me to send some proof of address so I sent them my tenancy agreement and bank statement stating my address in university. I'm just wondering if theres anyone encountered the same situation as mine and I want to know how long did it take for them to change your address and actually received your passport? Im bothered because I booked a trip to Paris next Friday because I was expecting to get my passport this week. I didn't know there will be complications on the delivery address. :cry:

Thank you for taking your time reading and I hope you could help me :D

demonjas
Newly Registered

Post by demonjas » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:03 pm

Passport Type: Adult (First Time - Registered as a British Citizen)
Date of application: 17/12/2014
Awaiting information from the applicant: 18/12/2014
Declaration form received, being processed: 19/11/2014
Letter asking for a paper form OS and proof of address documentation: 06/01/2015
Additional documentation arrived at HMPO: 09/01/2015
Dispatched: 19/01/2015
Date of return of documents: 20/01/2015
Date of receipt of interview letter: N/A
Date of passport appointment: N/A
Date of passport printing SMS: N/A
Date of passport receipt: 20/01/2015

I originally naturalized as a BOTC (Bermuda) and then registered as a British Citizen. I applied just after having my British citizenship ceremony. I hold a BOT passport (Bermuda) and included that with my initial (online) application and a photocopy of my Canadian passport. I wish I had checked here first because I ended up getting the same form letter as everyone else gets requiring a paper application and additional proof of residential address. Used the same declarant on the paper form as the online application. Second package of papers fedexed off to HMPO (no new photo due to declarant being the same). Only AFTER they received the papers did the status change from Declaration Received, being processed to Please Contact Us. Called the office on the 13th and the helpful person said that there was no issue because the online system lags "real time" and that my additional paperwork had been received.

So my entire process from start to finish was just about a month including the Christmas holiday shutdown and the usual seasonal delays. All in all a very positive experience - I'm certainly glad that I didn't have to go through this earlier in 2014.

roomi_tension
Newly Registered

Post by roomi_tension » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:34 pm

Hi Guys, I am applying for my wife passport after citizenship ceremony

I need to find out, what document do I need to send for the adult first passport after naturalization,

2 Photos (one with counter signature)
Naturalization certificate original
Current and previous foreign passports

Please let me know what else ? e.g English language etc

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Post by akhurshid » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:48 pm

roomi_tension wrote:Hi Guys, I am applying for my wife passport after citizenship ceremony

I need to find out, what document do I need to send for the adult first passport after naturalization,

thats pretty much it.

roomi_tension
Newly Registered

Post by roomi_tension » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:54 am

akhurshid wrote:
roomi_tension wrote:Hi Guys, I am applying for my wife passport after citizenship ceremony

thats pretty much it.
Thanks mate

rshelar
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by rshelar » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:09 pm

Guys,

Need help, should have read this thread before.

I applied for BP online. However I forget to send the foreign passport. I thought its not required but I read the wrong guideline.

Anyone know what I can do now? Photo and naturalisation certificate has been posted.
This was using the new online service.

Regards

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Post by akhurshid » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:56 am

rshelar wrote:Guys,

Need help, should have read this thread before.

I applied for BP online. However I forget to send the foreign passport. I thought its not required but I read the wrong guideline.

Anyone know what I can do now? Photo and naturalisation certificate has been posted.
This was using the new online service.

Regards
They'll contact you to send you the documents that are missing from application.
Alternatively, you can call them in few days.

rshelar
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by rshelar » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:56 pm

Thanks

Tobi
Newly Registered

Post by Tobi » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:25 pm

Hello,

Do the IPS use the submitted passport photographs when they issue the passport or do they take a digital photo when you attend the interview?

Thanks

hoederer
Newly Registered

Post by hoederer » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:25 pm

Just don't use the online form--I got the infamous letter saying I am missing sections bla bla bla and have to ask for the countersignature again...

Tobi
Newly Registered

Post by Tobi » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:26 pm

hoederer wrote:Just don't use the online form--I got the infamous letter saying I am missing sections bla bla bla and have to ask for the countersignature again...
Oops, I have just submitted my application using the online form. :| Surely I can be an exception to the missing sections issue. :D

mhamza
Newly Registered

Post by mhamza » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:46 am

Tobi wrote:
hoederer wrote:Just don't use the online form--I got the infamous letter saying I am missing sections bla bla bla and have to ask for the countersignature again...
Is there anyone who applied online for the first time adult passport and did not receive the infamous letter?

maluna
Newly Registered

Post by maluna » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:44 am

It's silly and a full display of negligence that after a year they haven't fixed the whole parents section issues and are happy to send out letters blaming the applicant.

Fair enough that is a beta service but not bothering to fix this after such a long time is just not acceptable. They are happy to make everyone double their efforts including theirs.

I've just received the infamous letter after 8 days. Wasted precious time as I need to travel for work.

Passport Type: Adult (first time)
Date of application: 04/02/2015
Declaration form received, being processed: 05/05/2015
Date of receipt of Missing Parent Details Letter: 13/02/2015
Date of Paper Application sent: 13/02/2015
Date of receipt of interview letter: ?
Date of return of documents: ?
Date of passport interview appointment: ?
Date of passport printing SMS:?
Date of passport receipt: ?

bazinga
Newly Registered

Post by bazinga » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:21 am

I wish I would have seen this forum earlier :(

I just filled out and sent my first British passport application from the states, as I have citizenship through descent of my mother who was born in England in the 50s.

I sent a ton of documents, including; my/mom's passport, my/mom's birth cert, parents marriage cert, cover letter with grandparents date and place of birth, etc.

I really hope I don't get the same letter you all got.

On the form it did ask SOME of my parents info; Name, DOB, Place of birth, Nationally at the time of my birth, british passport info (for my mother) and their marriage info.... did everyone else enter that AND still had to provide more information?

mhamza
Newly Registered

Post by mhamza » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:36 pm

Dear bazinga, you dont have to worry, you are fine! The online system does not work for the first time adult applicants who have naturalised and a naturalisation certificate is issued to them. The online system does not ask for the parents details and hence the infamous letter so that the parents detail can be provided. For people who get citizenship through descent of parents, the system ask for all the required information and in your case you have already provided the necessary information and documents. You will not receive any such letter.

bazinga
Newly Registered

Post by bazinga » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:16 pm

mhamza wrote:Dear bazinga, you dont have to worry, you are fine! The online system does not work for the first time adult applicants who have naturalised and a naturalisation certificate is issued to them. The online system does not ask for the parents details and hence the infamous letter so that the parents detail can be provided. For people who get citizenship through descent of parents, the system ask for all the required information and in your case you have already provided the necessary information and documents. You will not receive any such letter.
@mhamza, thank you so much! That does make me feel somewhat better! I tried to be very thorough in my documents and cover letter as to not have any delays. This is one less thing to worry about regarding the application; now I just have to wait for my other concerns that I have;

- Mistake on Form:
On the passport application it asks for my parents British passport information. I entered this for both my mother and my father; however, only my mother has a British passport. I entered my fathers US passport information mistakenly. I spoke to the HMPO and they said write a cover letter explaining the issue and sign it - which I did provide a very detailed explanation of the issue... so hopefully this is OK.

- Passport Photos: These were cut by hand and I am just concerned that the sizing may be slightly off. I eyed them up to the example photos and they did look very close. I am just not sure how strict they are (I heard very).

- Countersignature Concerns: My countersigner signed the documents and while her signature did not go outside of the black box the end of her signature did touch the inside portion of the box. She also started to put the date as MM/DD/YYYY. After entering the day as the month (02) she changed the day on the form to a 12 by putting a 1 through the 0 - it doesn't look bad but you can tell it was a zero she then changed to a one.

I am such a worrywort and can't help it. I guess I have to just wait and see to see if everything went through.

Thanks!

Tobi
Newly Registered

Post by Tobi » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:25 am

Hi all,

here is the timeline for my application.

Online declaration sent: 12/02/2015
Online declaration delivered: 13/02/2015
Status: Declaration form received, being processed - 16/02/2015
Additional information (parents, grandparents info) sent: 17/02/2015
Additional information (parents, grandparents info) delivered: 18/02/2015
Status: Declaration form received, being processed - 16/02/2015 (unchanged)

Please note, I have not received the letter requesting this information, I just decided to send it anyway before they ask.

I will advice anyone using the online application to include the parents details in the space given for "Any other information", at least until we have proof that the online application has been fixed and is now fit for purpose.

Thanks

mhamza
Newly Registered

Post by mhamza » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:12 am

Hi Tobi, I agree with you. I have seen a post where the online applicant provided the detail of the parents in the "Other Information" section and did not receive the letter. Hence it can work like this.
Did you subsequently fill and send a new paper form or just the parent's detail in a letter. I think they do need the parents detail in the form. The PO in response to a complaint has written back the following
"Once a new form is received all information on that form is scanned onto the system and replaces completely the original online application. This means we are unable to use the counter signatory details from the online form"
It seems that they cannot add in and record any information send separately into the online application. Therefore instead of just asking the parents detail they ask to fill in a new paper form.
My strong recommendation to all new applicants is first being on the safe side not to use the online system, however if they decide to apply online, provide the parents/grandparents detail in the additional information section.
Best of luck

Tobi
Newly Registered

Post by Tobi » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:20 pm

mhamza wrote:Hi Tobi, I agree with you. I have seen a post where the online applicant provided the detail of the parents in the "Other Information" section and did not receive the letter. Hence it can work like this.
Did you subsequently fill and send a new paper form or just the parent's detail in a letter. I think they do need the parents detail in the form. The PO in response to a complaint has written back the following
"Once a new form is received all information on that form is scanned onto the system and replaces completely the original online application. This means we are unable to use the counter signatory details from the online form"
It seems that they cannot add in and record any information send separately into the online application. Therefore instead of just asking the parents detail they ask to fill in a new paper form.
My strong recommendation to all new applicants is first being on the safe side not to use the online system, however if they decide to apply online, provide the parents/grandparents detail in the additional information section.
Best of luck
Hi mhamza,

I did not fill a new form, I just included the information in a letter. However, I just got word from my wife that I have received an interview letter! This letter was dated 17th Feb, same day I posted the extra bit of information. I will shortly update my timeline to reflect this.

Thanks

Tobi
Newly Registered

Post by Tobi » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:38 pm

See updates in Red
Tobi wrote:Hi all,

here is the timeline for my application.

Online declaration sent: 12/02/2015
Online declaration delivered: 13/02/2015
Status: Declaration form received, being processed - 16/02/2015
Additional information (parents, grandparents info) sent: 17/02/2015
Additional information (parents, grandparents info) delivered: 18/02/2015
Interview letter received: 19/02/2015, dated 17/02/2015
Interview date: 24/02/2015
Documents returned: waiting...
Passport received: waiting...
Seems I did not need the parents information afterall....