ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will I Need A Visa?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Neotomic
Newly Registered

Will I Need A Visa?

Post by Neotomic » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi,
I live in the US and looking to come to the UK. I've been offered one week's unpaid work experience this year for a music magazine, and I was wondering if I'll need a visa and if so, what kind.
Thanks!

vinny

Re: Will I Need A Visa?

Post by vinny » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:03 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:01 pm

Neotomic wrote:Hi,
I live in the US and looking to come to the UK. I've been offered one week's unpaid work experience this year for a music magazine, and I was wondering if I'll need a visa and if so, what kind.
Thanks!
Yes you will.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:02 am

Neotomic wrote:Hi,
Thanks!
You don’t need a visa if you’re coming to the UK for activities allowed under the following visas:

- a business or academic visitor - eg if you’re coming to the UK for conferences, meetings, training or academic research
-a sports visitor
-an entertainer
-a prospective entrepreneur
-a visitor doing a ‘permitted paid engagement’ (you must have been invited to the UK because of your expertise) - you can only stay for up to 1 month

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/usa/ ... hs_or_less

If, highlighted in bold applies to you - then you DO NOT need a visa.
Needless to say, ignore the irrelevant response in this thread.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:00 pm

As a non visa national being a US citizen you have a concessionary rules of entry applied at the border in certain instances.

Coming to work paid or unpaid is NOT a concessionary right. Hence you will require an entry visa that confers the right to work.
The previous post suggests that as an entertainer or an academic reasearcher you would be allowed entry, this is correct but the definition of those particular reasons for entry would not apply in the circumstances you have outlined.

Officially you would need a work visa of some form and for a one week role that is not viable of feasible.

You can chance your arm by just coming as a visitor and hoping for the best but obviously there is a risk attached to that and getting caught out at the border will result in being refused entry.