ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language requirement pls help

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lotstoread
Newly Registered

English Language requirement pls help

Post by lotstoread » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:54 am

Hello All,
Both myself and my wife are on ILR since September 2012. We both would now like to apply for citizenship as we are eligible for over a year now, however I have just noticed that the English language requirement has changed. We have both given Life in UK at the time of ILR and I have myself got a Masters Degree from UK, however my wife has not got any qualification from UK and she has had a B.Com (bachelors in Commerce from Gujarat University studied in English), she has also given IELTS some 8 years ago.

Please can the experts clear me on the following points:
1) Do I need to give any other tests or am I ok to apply with the qualification I held.
2) Does my wife need to give ESOL or is the IELTS still considered valid?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated as we want to apply soon.

Thanks in anticipation of your replies.

Regards

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: English Language requirement pls help

Post by fwd079 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:07 pm

lotstoread wrote:Hello All,
Both myself and my wife are on ILR since September 2012. We both would now like to apply for citizenship as we are eligible for over a year now, however I have just noticed that the English language requirement has changed. We have both given Life in UK at the time of ILR and I have myself got a Masters Degree from UK, however my wife has not got any qualification from UK and she has had a B.Com (bachelors in Commerce from Gujarat University studied in English), she has also given IELTS some 8 years ago.

Please can the experts clear me on the following points:
1) Do I need to give any other tests or am I ok to apply with the qualification I held.
2) Does my wife need to give ESOL or is the IELTS still considered valid?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated as we want to apply soon.

Thanks in anticipation of your replies.

Regards
Experts can tell you better.

1. Your UK University degree should be fine for you.
2. Wife needs to take English language test.

I hope this is enough but will await senior's reply.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

lotstoread
Newly Registered

Post by lotstoread » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:30 pm

Please can anybody shed some mote light on this?? I was told by someone that as my wife has completed her B.Com in english medium she does not need to take the english competency test? Is this true? If yes, then what document do i need to submit with the application? Pls guys any help is appreciated. Thanks

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Post by akhurshid » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:35 pm

If her degree is in PBS calculator, then you may be able to use that as proof of KOL.

t123456789

Post by t123456789 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:31 pm

1. At least 20 points for equivalence AND 10 points for English. (submit original degree)
OR
2. At least 20 points for equivalence and a letter from her university stating the course was taught in English. (submit original degree)
OR
3. An ELA from NARIC. (submit original degree)
OR
4. An SoC from NARIC and a letter from her university stating the course was taught in English. (submit original degree)
OR
5. An acceptable B1 English language test.

If her IELTS was taken in the UK or was used previously as proof of meeting the English requirement she can use that even if it's expired. If the IELTS is expired and she either has not sent it to the HO or took the test outside of the UK, she has to take another B1 test.

lotstoread
Newly Registered

Post by lotstoread » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:33 pm

hi

Thank you for your reply. Having looked into the calculator she is able to claim 10 points for English language. Can you please clarify what does 20 point for equivalence mean?

As she gets 10 points as per the calculator, is it ok if I submit her original degree certificate, printout of the calculator & a letter from university to suggest that the course was taught in English? Will this be enough? Please respond at your convenience.

Thank you

t123456789 wrote:1. At least 20 points for equivalence AND 10 points for English. (submit original degree)
OR
2. At least 20 points for equivalence and a letter from her university stating the course was taught in English. (submit original degree)
OR
3. An ELA from NARIC. (submit original degree)
OR
4. An SoC from NARIC and a letter from her university stating the course was taught in English. (submit original degree)
OR
5. An acceptable B1 English language test.

If her IELTS was taken in the UK or was used previously as proof of meeting the English requirement she can use that even if it's expired. If the IELTS is expired and she either has not sent it to the HO or took the test outside of the UK, she has to take another B1 test.

badratio

Post by badratio » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:16 pm

Validity dates of ESOL qualifications listed in Appendix O of the Immigration Rules, or on the OFQUAL register, will not be applied for settlement applications, provided:
 the qualification has previously been accepted for another immigration application, or
 if it is being presented for the first time, that it was taken in: England and was regulated by OFQUAL
o Wales and was regulated by the Welsh government
o Northern Ireland and was regulated by the Council for the Curriculum, Examinations
and Assessment (CCEA), or
o Scotland and was regulated by the SQA.
Validity dates of SELT qualifications are not applicable to citizenship applications, as validity dates are not referred to in the regulations. However, qualifications taken in the UK must be have been regulated by OFQUAL, the Welsh government or CCEA, or if taken in Scotland, by the SQA.
Page 30 https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _0_EXT.pdf
Naturalisation timeline: EEU PR
Application date: 17-03-2015
Fee deducted : 24-03-2015
Acknowledgment email : 25-03-2015
Approval date : 02-04-2015
Ceremony: 28-04-2015