ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indian Passport Surrender process

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rajesh9pl
Mood:
United Kingdom

Indian Passport Surrender process

Post by rajesh9pl » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:47 am

Hi,

I went to VFS Gosewell Road office to surrender my Indian passport. They have one guy sitting at entrance who first checks all the applications. Before I could handover my papers, he asked have you included all pages (including blank ones) of passport, I told no, only non blank pages. He said they will not accept my application.

I told him there is no meaning of photo copying blank pages.

When they know people interpret all pages as all non blank pages then why can't they update their website.

A year ago I had surrendered passport of my 2 year son, postal application, then I had not included blank pages, even then his application was successful.

When they are charging £117 as surrender fees, can't they photo copy passport? What is the need to self attest photo copies.

Please do carry photo copy of all the pages of your Indian passport for surrender application.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

rajesh9pl
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Indian Passport Surrender process

Post by rajesh9pl » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:50 am

Today, I went back with copy of all the pages of passport. The lady at counter suggested to carry your British passport too. They can scan British passport to copy details to set up new application for Passport surrender or Indian Visa application.

They have just one counter for surrendering passport. She started working from 8:50AM. I was at queue at 8:20, inside building by 8:45, my token number was 7002 (2 applicants ahead of me), my number was called around 9:15 and out by 9:30AM.

You can collect cancelled passport and surrender certificate in person after 3-4 days. Which means, you do not need to carry self addressed Special Delivery envelope if you want to collect.

The lady at the couter is quite professional and efficent in her role.

She will give you acknowldegment, you can use reference number to track progress of your application, online. You could also opt for SMS update (charges £1.60). The same receipt will be used when you go there to collect.

Hope this helps you in when you make your own surrender application.

rarun53

Post by rarun53 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:47 pm

This is funny,

Like you, last year when i went to surrender my daughter passport i took photocopy of all the pages of the passport. When i handed over at the counter the lady only took Photo page and details page and returned the remaining pages. VFS is also behaving like Indian Embassy. They ask whenever and whatever they want.

Anyway thanks for your post. I am going Next week to surrender my passport.I have taken all the pages photo copy. Actually there is a small foot note at the bottom of the application which says all the pages of Indian Passport.

rajesh9pl
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by rajesh9pl » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:18 pm

I know it does say copy all pages of passport in footnote but common sense says only non blank pages. This was the first time I was ever asked for all the pages to passport. When I had applied for Naturaliszation, guy in council copied all the pages. When they are charing fees and have original with them then why can't they copy all the pages.

No problems. Do carry your British passport too. They can scan BP to fetch your personal details, otherwise poor lady will have to type your BP number into her system. She is too lazy to type.

cafp06
Newly Registered

Post by cafp06 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:05 pm

Hi guys,

I'm finding the whole process so confusing. Would you please advise me on what I need to do. I went online and printed off the application for surrender of my Indian passport, however I am not sure if I am able to post it to them or if I have to take it in to VFS. Will they return the cancelled passport to me?

I am really hoping they'll just cancel it and return the passport to me. If I do need to post the pages could someone please advise me on the whole process?

Many thanks in advance