ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving Abroad after applying British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

EEApartner

Moving Abroad after applying British Citizenship

Post by EEApartner » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:27 am

Hi all,
I might have a job opportunity to work in Sweden. I am going to submit my British application form this weekend. I would like to know if I am free to live anywhere after this?
Though technically I assume I still need to attend the ceremony and apply the passport, not sure if I need to reside in the UK for this or can I still fly back for this?

Having said this, I understand I will need a proof of being British citizen in order to work in Sweden.

FYI I have held ILR for a year before submitting the British citizenship application form.

Thanks

mariof
Newly Registered

Re: Moving Abroad after applying British Citizenship

Post by mariof » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:02 pm

Technically you are not allowed to do this. There is a question on the form AN

2.3 Please tell us in which country you intend to have your main home if you are naturalised.

if you answer anything other than the UK, it would be very likely that your naturalisation request would be denied.

Once you obtained citizenship you'll be allowed to move abroad just like any other british citizen.

EEApartner

Post by EEApartner » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:56 pm

Hi
Just to clarify, I will not be moving away until I submit the application which is this weekend.
I will be completing BOTA and will tick intending to stay in the UK permanently.

However, there might be opportunities arising that I might live in Sweden for a job opportunity.

So does it mean that I'd better wait until I attend the ceremony and get the certification of British citizenship?

Can I apply the passport from Sweden or do I have to apply the passport in the UK - cos that would mean another 4 - 6 weeks' wait!

mariof
Newly Registered

Post by mariof » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:15 pm

EEApartner wrote:Hi
Just to clarify, I will not be moving away until I submit the application which is this weekend.
I will be completing BOTA and will tick intending to stay in the UK permanently.

However, there might be opportunities arising that I might live in Sweden for a job opportunity.

So does it mean that I'd better wait until I attend the ceremony and get the certification of British citizenship?

Can I apply the passport from Sweden or do I have to apply the passport in the UK - cos that would mean another 4 - 6 weeks' wait!

IMO, you'd be better off waiting in the UK for citizenship before moving to Sweden. Once you attended the ceremony you are free to move anywhere and you could apply for your passport from Sweden.

I also don't see why you couldn't apply for the passport on the same day that you attend the citizenship ceremony.

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Post by akhurshid » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:32 pm

You are free to go abroad once you have made citizenship application as long you are not leaving UK forever. Why do you think HO has allowed you to keep your original passport while your application is being decided?

Just remember, if your application is approved, you need to book ceremony in few weeks and attend that within 90 days.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:47 pm

Slightly OT but Swedish tax/NI is amongst the highest in the world, something like 56%. Welfare system is the best in the world but you can see where the money comes from!

Something to be wary of.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

EEApartner

Post by EEApartner » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:20 pm

Thanks all, I will look into the tax but Sweden is my favourite country after London. ;) I didn't say I would never come back to the UK, didn't I?

Last question though, to apply the first British passport, it says somewhere on the site that I must submit also 'the passport you used to come into the UK or foreign passport you’re included on' (https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-pa ... pplication) Is this correct? In that case, does it mean I will not be able to travel during applying passport??? This makes no sense to me though!

Please advise.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:24 pm

I had to submit my current passport that had ILR in it when I applied for British passport.
I am sometimes wrong.

EEApartner

Post by EEApartner » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:03 pm

How long did they send you back the passport which has ILR?

Actually my ILR is not attached on my passport, but issued separately on a biometric card.

EEApartner

Post by EEApartner » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:03 pm

How long did they send you back the passport which has ILR?

Actually my ILR is not attached on my passport, but issued separately on a biometric card.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:11 pm

It took about 4 weeks to get my old passport back as well as my new British passport.
I am sometimes wrong.