ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registering a Latvia child as a British Citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

udy2peu
Newly Registered

Registering a Latvia child as a British Citizen

Post by udy2peu » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:29 pm

Hi everyone
I need help with an application for a registration of a child as a British Citizen.
My 2 children were born in the UK in 2006 and 2007. Both I and my wife are from an EU country. At the time of children’s birth, neither i nor my wife had ILR or British Citizenship, so we couldn’t apply for a British Passport for the children. Therefore we decided to register the kids as Latvian citizens.
In their birth certificates, which was issued in the UK, they have the names spelled as per the Latin alphabet: Nicholas Matthew, however in Latvian language this is spelled like: Nikolass Metju. And this is how is has been spelled in the passport. However there is a note in the passport where it says that the original name of the holder translated in Latin language is Nicholas Matthew.
In 2010 all of us applied for ILR, which we were granted. On the children resident card the name has been spelled as per the passport: Nikolass Metju.
I am now trying to register the children as British Citizens with their names as per their birth certificates – Nicholas Matthew, but I don’t know what I am supposed to explain the Home Office the different names. Or perhaps the note in the passport is good enough...
I hope somebody has been in my situation and will be able to advice.
Many thanks

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Registering a Latvia child as a British Citizen

Post by fwd079 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:53 am

The children's name on Certificate will be exactly what you write in MN1 form.

So, if you want to keep English names and discard Latvian names, then you provide Birth Certificates, current Passports and that should suffice, but personally to keep things clearer, I would add a cover letter politely explaining the difference between English and Latvian spellings and that I'd like to keep English spellings.

So please fill section 1.5 (child's surname) and section 1.6 (child's first name) exactly as you'd like the names to be on certificate. Then explain on Page 14 that its a translation matter.

Good luck.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.