ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

After UK passport issued can I still use my old one?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

london90210
Newly Registered

After UK passport issued can I still use my old one?

Post by london90210 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:31 pm

Hi

I've just applied for my first UK Passport after naturalisation - I'll then have both an Australian and a UK passport.

Can I continue to use my Australian passport when entering the UK or will the fact that a UK passport has now been issued mean my naturlisation certificate in my Australian passport is no longer valid?

(More recently its been a lot quicker coming in on an overseas passports than my friends stuck in a giant queue on their UK ones - would be good to know if I still have the choice or that I won't be stuck if I've got the wrong passport).

Many thanks

milan69
Diamond Member

Re: After UK passport issued can I still use my old one?

Post by milan69 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:02 pm

On two occasions I asked Border officials (Heathrow and Stansted) when I was entering UK if my old passport where I have ILR is valid now that I have British passport and both times it was conformed that it was valid and that I can enter with it.
I am sometimes wrong.

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Post by akhurshid » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:07 pm

two words, E-passport gate :-)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:38 pm

london90210 wrote:will the fact that a UK passport has now been issued mean my naturlisation certificate in my Australian passport is no longer valid?
I believe, from the tenor of the original post, that the OP has a CoE-RoA attached to his Australian passport. The issuance of a British passport does not void a CoE-RoA, which is exactly what it says on the tin, a certificate of the right of abode in the UK. However, the rules surrounding CoE-RoA (which state that a certificate can not be issued to somebody who already has been issued a British passport) mean that when his Australian passport is next renewed, he can not get a new certificate affixed to his new Australian passport.

To summarise, you can use the Australian passport with the certificate until the passport expires, but you will not be able to transfer the certificate to the new passport. I am not certain if the new passport can be used with the old expired passport containing the CoE, but I believe that it would then be necessary to use the UK passport to enter the UK.

@milan69- You have mentioned your experiences about using ILR after naturalisation in a few threads. However, can I clarify if these experiences have been post-2012? If it is recent, do you have a BRP or an ILR vignette in your old passport?

After 2012, the UK government started destroying the biometric data of ILR holders who had become British citizens. That would void their BRP. Their ILR status would already have been subsumed by their right of abode as British citizens. Therefore, I would be very surprised if the advice quoted by you is current.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:52 pm

It was in April 2014 and I have ILR sticker.
Before I became BC I used to travel having two passports with me. Since I was issued ILR 2005 and my passport expired a year later I carried my expired passport which had ILR in it and new passport in which border officials put entry stamp and hand wrote ILRPP (ILR in previous passport).
Anyway, when my application was approved and when I had ceremony I had to travel on 2 occasions before I applied for British passport. Once I had naturalization certificate with me but even though I mentioned that now I am BC I was not required to show it and I entered UK on my ILR.
I am sometimes wrong.