ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Impact of travelling on naturalization

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zaw_81
Newly Registered

Impact of travelling on naturalization

Post by zaw_81 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:59 am

Hi All,

I am hoping you are all well. I am working in Ireland for a company here for the past around 3 year. My job requires very high frequency of International travel so every year I have been out of Ireland for good sum of days. During my travel I have to pay all my taxes/bill and rents here in Ireland because it's my base.Sometimes I take my family a long sometimes they are here. In past few of my ex-colleagues with similar job role have applied for naturalization and they successfully have received it. In May 2014 in the new immigration form I have noticed few change e.g. "If you have been absent from the State for more than 6 weeks per annum in any of the past 5 years, you are required to provide details of all of the absences from the State on a separate sheet and enclose it with your application". As far as I know this clause was not there in previous application forms. It doesn't say anything like that whether it's going to impact the citizenship process or not but still I want to know if anyone else have experienced the same situation recently please share your thoughts and experiences.
My family joined me 1 year later when I started working here. We are non-Eu nationals. Will my wife have to wait for exactly 5 years to apply for citizenship or she can apply with me? During the time of my application she will have total 4 years in Ireland.
regards,
W

banana07
Member of Standing

Re: Impact of travelling on naturalization

Post by banana07 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:06 pm

you have to submit clarification of the frequent travel (better yet if your employer write you a letter confirming that) and for your wife Im not sure but as far as i know she will have to wait for full 5 years, or apply after 3 years being married to you as an irish citizen (which will in this case increase the waiting by extra 2-3 years)
I'm officially diagnosed with INIS "processing" phobia

zaw_81
Newly Registered

Post by zaw_81 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:10 pm

thanks for your quick reply

erica123
Newly Registered

Post by erica123 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:23 pm

can i ask you if you have had any issues due to travel . I have a similar situation and travelled extensively for work

regards, Rahul

zaw_81
Newly Registered

Post by zaw_81 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi Rahul,

I haven't applied yet, When are you due to apply?

regards,

neuron

Post by neuron » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:21 pm

Can I hijack the thread a little bit, and ask - how are you applying for citizenship after only 3 years in Ireland? I thought the minimum was 5 years.

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:03 pm

The waiting time is 5 year (or 3 for spouses of Irish citizens).

erica123
Newly Registered

Post by erica123 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:43 pm

Hi .

I havent applied yet but would like to know if my extrensive travel would be an issue . All my travel has been work related but its hard to know before I apply . If anyone in the forum has more information then that will be nice .

regards

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:49 am

erica123 wrote:Hi .

I havent applied yet but would like to know if my extrensive travel would be an issue . All my travel has been work related but its hard to know before I apply . If anyone in the forum has more information then that will be nice .

regards
What do you mean be extensive?

If it is a business trip of a few days every month I don't think it would be an issue.

Now if you're talking being on an Irish contract but being posted abroad as an expat for years - then yes they might have concerns.

okdokie

Post by okdokie » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:44 pm

Yes you need to quantify your travel here. Also I would say its too early at this stage still roughly two years to go. Assuming that you apply after two years and get your citizenship, then your wife can either apply immediatly as spouse of an Irish citizen and being married for three years or can wait for another year and apply on the basis of 5 years residence.

As long as i can remember that 6weeks absence from state has to continuous.

erica123
Newly Registered

Post by erica123 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:48 am

Thanks for the reply .

I have been in the state since 2007 /stamp 4 since then and didnt intend to apply for naturalization earlier on . Now I do and so see this clause for 6 weeks ...

My job entails a lot of travel outside irelaand and that is the nature of my job that I travel -sometime for months together and then come back and get mroe business in general ..During this time i am employed as usual here..taxed locally ,salaried locally and have had my house , spouse in ireland ,rents etc and GNIB as well
I have asked my organization and they have provided me with a letter stating the exact days/months of my travel for the last 5 years and also the reason for travel /country etc .
The only issue I see if that they may say that i do not fullfill the residence criteria in the state .
Honestly I have no clues but it could be an issue looking at the 6 weeks clause ..

regards,rahul

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:26 am

I think if there is a justification from your employer it should be fine as long as it is not crazy (if you are in Ireland something like 30 days per year obviously they will have concerns).

How many days per year would you say you are away?

erica123
Newly Registered

Post by erica123 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:17 pm

My absence has been around 6 months in two different years. all work related travels