ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Paying It Forward: Happy to Help with EEA3 and EEA4

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

insta27
Newly Registered

Paying It Forward: Happy to Help with EEA3 and EEA4

Post by insta27 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:35 pm

(Please make sure you are familiar with the EEA3 and EEA4 application form before reading this)

Hi guys,

Received our EEA3 and EEA4 last month and it is such a relief as I always feared documents would get lost in the post.

As a result of the positive outcome, I am happy to help others who may have questions about our experience. I suppose this is my way of giving back to this little community who have helped me so much in the past.

What we did was submitting EEA3 first before submitting our EEA4. This was because we wanted to see whether the application was successful as EEA3 applicant was studying full time and working part time. We were concerned as there were two-three months EEA3 quit part time job to focus on final exams and we didn't have a comprehensive CSI in place. Our reasoning was that if EEA3 applicant status for PR was refused, then obviously EEA4 applicant didnt stand a chance and would have to reapply for EEA2 again.

Timeline:

EEA3 sent February 2014, received March 2014. 4 weeks Positive outcome.
Doc Submitted: EEA National ID, 5 years bank statements, CT bill, letter from landlord, contract of employment, P60s, wage slips, letter from university, exam results, degree transcript and luckily enough EEA3 applicant has a non UK EHIC card (which is accepted as an alternative to Comprehensive Sickness Insurance, also known as CSI). Also, did a separate sheet on Section 7 & 8 of EEA3 form as this will aid in future application for EEA4.

EEA4 sent August 2014, received December 2014. 13 weeks Positive outcome
Doc Submitted: Everything from earlier EEA3 application plus EEA4 applicant passport, joint bank account statements, EEA4 applicant own bank statements, utilities, credit card statement, motor insurance including both names, marriage cert. The total combined weight was 6kg, lol. And we had to stop ourselves from submitting more. Also if you have PR card for EEA3, you can skip Section 7 of EEA4. Section 8 is already half done because of earlier application for EEA3, you just have to update EEA3's travel details and complete EEA4 travel details.

TIPS:
- All our documents were original. We did not send in photocopies at all.

- Place all bank statements/utilities in chronological order. HO doesn't check every single document but for one of the bank statements, they COUNTED the number of months of bank statements and wrote it down on my Post-It.

- This I cannot stress enough, pay extra for a self addressed envelope and include it in your documents to ensure safe return of all your documents. I paid about £24 for a 'Royal Mail Guaranteed Delivery'' and our document weight was 6kg. I also bought a hee-yuge envelope to accommodate all the documents, it wasnt an envelope but more like a sack, lol. Otherwise your documents would be returned to you via Second Class post.

- No one is perfect and there will be missing bank statements or P60s. For missing bank statements, go to your bank and ask them to send you by post. This will very from bank to bank but can take up to 10 working days. For P60s, it is possible to contact the HMRC for this.

- For the EEA4, application although, we did not need to elaborate on Section 7 as EEA3 applicant had already gotten PR, we still submitted ALL the documents required as though we were submitting an EEA3 and EEA4 application. Remember that although EEA3 applicant has gotten PR, EEA4 application is considered a new and fresh application.

- Our main concern was the CSI as EEA3 applicant wasn't working for about two to three months as was focusing on final exams. We were lucky to discover EEA3 applicant had a non UK EHIC card which covered for the period. Ironically, EEA4 applicant had CSI, which was quite funny since EEA3 is the one who is required to have it. For your info, EEA4 applicant has a CSI from home country and the CSI possessed was ongoing and more than 20 years old. The advice may vary but if the need arose, it was possible to submit EEA4's CSI from home country. Basically, HO, very fairly, does not want people to abuse the already over stretched NHS system.

- Simple things such as photographs. Get the professionals to do it (Snappy Snaps etc). I would be cautious to do it in one of the booths. Will it meet the HO's requirements? You do not want to take a chance.

- Because of travel commitments, EEA4 application was sent two days before EEA2 expired. HO is very sticky about this. You MUST send it by the date of expiry of the EEA2. Again, use Royal Mail Special Delivery service. If your expiry date is 10th of January, you can still send it on the 9th January as long as it reaches there 10th January.

- Ensure you have the funds required in your bank account. If not, I have heard stories of it being rejected and also it gives you an idea when HO first start processing your application.

- This may be contentious but I recommend going through a solicitor. The market rate is between £250 to £350. We did probably 90% of the work but solicitor did a cover letter and more importantly, solicitor had our backs if outcome was no. I know most people will probably balk at paying extra but I truly believe it is money well spent. In majority of the cases, hopefully outcome is positive but what happens if outcome is negative and in the worse case scenario you have to leave the country within 30 days etc. With a solicitor, he knows your case but if you had to hire a solicitor after negative response, then the solicitor has to learn your case history etc.
(Having a solicitor is like buying a car insurance really. When you have it, everything is ok and when you don't have it, that's when trouble starts, lol)

- Total budget for EEA4 application breakdown
Application fee: £55
Passport Photographs: £10
Postage fee: varies for outgoing (to the HO) and incoming (from the HO). Remember to weigh the items before you post and put in the self addressed envelope.
Solicitor's Fee: between £250 to £350 (doesn't have to be a fancy one. As long as they are registered on http://www.sra.org.uk, it should be fine)
Waiting Time for Outcome: Priceless. :mrgreen:

Good luck and I'll be happy to answer any questions. There is no such thing as a silly question but please don't ask really d'oh obvious or lazy to google questions.

herald2839
Newly Registered

Re: Paying It Forward: Happy to Help with EEA3 and EEA4

Post by herald2839 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:00 pm

Hi Insta27,

Thanks for this extremely clearly written and comprehensive account. I am actually going to be applying for EEA3 myself in the very near future so there was a lot of useful stuff here.

Can I just clarify a few things regarding your EEA3 application?
-Bank statements: what frequency did you provide to them? Monthly, quarterly or annual statements? Any advice on what frequency is actually necessary?
-CSIC: was there a break in this (i.e. a period when you had BOTH no private medical insurance AND no valid non-UK EHIC)?
-P60s: do you remember how you got HMRC to issue you with duplicate P60s. I got the impression from online research that HMRC won’t provide but technically your employer can.
-Self-sufficiency: do you mind me asking whether you demonstrated 16 thousand pounds of bank balance throughout the period (I think this would be enough to disqualify you from social benefits and therefore is the maximum hurdle for demonstrating that you would not become a burden) or whether you got approved with less than that?
-Any “special sauce” in the cover letter from the solicitor that you couldn’t have written yourself?
-Do you mind sharing which solicitor you used? I’ve met two just to discuss things and maybe it was just bad luck but I found them both sloppy and ill-informed. They seemed more focused on non-EEA immigration issues and had a poor knowledge of relevant case law.

Cheers,
Herald
insta27 wrote:(Please make sure you are familiar with the EEA3 and EEA4 application form before reading this)

Hi guys,

Received our EEA3 and EEA4 last month and it is such a relief as I always feared documents would get lost in the post.

As a result of the positive outcome, I am happy to help others who may have questions about our experience. I suppose this is my way of giving back to this little community who have helped me so much in the past.

What we did was submitting EEA3 first before submitting our EEA4. This was because we wanted to see whether the application was successful as EEA3 applicant was studying full time and working part time. We were concerned as there were two-three months EEA3 quit part time job to focus on final exams and we didn't have a comprehensive CSI in place. Our reasoning was that if EEA3 applicant status for PR was refused, then obviously EEA4 applicant didnt stand a chance and would have to reapply for EEA2 again.

Timeline:

EEA3 sent February 2014, received March 2014. 4 weeks Positive outcome.
Doc Submitted: EEA National ID, 5 years bank statements, CT bill, letter from landlord, contract of employment, P60s, wage slips, letter from university, exam results, degree transcript and luckily enough EEA3 applicant has a non UK EHIC card (which is accepted as an alternative to Comprehensive Sickness Insurance, also known as CSI). Also, did a separate sheet on Section 7 & 8 of EEA3 form as this will aid in future application for EEA4.

EEA4 sent August 2014, received December 2014. 13 weeks Positive outcome
Doc Submitted: Everything from earlier EEA3 application plus EEA4 applicant passport, joint bank account statements, EEA4 applicant own bank statements, utilities, credit card statement, motor insurance including both names, marriage cert. The total combined weight was 6kg, lol. And we had to stop ourselves from submitting more. Also if you have PR card for EEA3, you can skip Section 7 of EEA4. Section 8 is already half done because of earlier application for EEA3, you just have to update EEA3's travel details and complete EEA4 travel details.

TIPS:
- All our documents were original. We did not send in photocopies at all.

- Place all bank statements/utilities in chronological order. HO doesn't check every single document but for one of the bank statements, they COUNTED the number of months of bank statements and wrote it down on my Post-It.

- This I cannot stress enough, pay extra for a self addressed envelope and include it in your documents to ensure safe return of all your documents. I paid about £24 for a 'Royal Mail Guaranteed Delivery'' and our document weight was 6kg. I also bought a hee-yuge envelope to accommodate all the documents, it wasnt an envelope but more like a sack, lol. Otherwise your documents would be returned to you via Second Class post.

- No one is perfect and there will be missing bank statements or P60s. For missing bank statements, go to your bank and ask them to send you by post. This will very from bank to bank but can take up to 10 working days. For P60s, it is possible to contact the HMRC for this.

- For the EEA4, application although, we did not need to elaborate on Section 7 as EEA3 applicant had already gotten PR, we still submitted ALL the documents required as though we were submitting an EEA3 and EEA4 application. Remember that although EEA3 applicant has gotten PR, EEA4 application is considered a new and fresh application.

- Our main concern was the CSI as EEA3 applicant wasn't working for about two to three months as was focusing on final exams. We were lucky to discover EEA3 applicant had a non UK EHIC card which covered for the period. Ironically, EEA4 applicant had CSI, which was quite funny since EEA3 is the one who is required to have it. For your info, EEA4 applicant has a CSI from home country and the CSI possessed was ongoing and more than 20 years old. The advice may vary but if the need arose, it was possible to submit EEA4's CSI from home country. Basically, HO, very fairly, does not want people to abuse the already over stretched NHS system.

- Simple things such as photographs. Get the professionals to do it (Snappy Snaps etc). I would be cautious to do it in one of the booths. Will it meet the HO's requirements? You do not want to take a chance.

- Because of travel commitments, EEA4 application was sent two days before EEA2 expired. HO is very sticky about this. You MUST send it by the date of expiry of the EEA2. Again, use Royal Mail Special Delivery service. If your expiry date is 10th of January, you can still send it on the 9th January as long as it reaches there 10th January.

- Ensure you have the funds required in your bank account. If not, I have heard stories of it being rejected and also it gives you an idea when HO first start processing your application.

- This may be contentious but I recommend going through a solicitor. The market rate is between £250 to £350. We did probably 90% of the work but solicitor did a cover letter and more importantly, solicitor had our backs if outcome was no. I know most people will probably balk at paying extra but I truly believe it is money well spent. In majority of the cases, hopefully outcome is positive but what happens if outcome is negative and in the worse case scenario you have to leave the country within 30 days etc. With a solicitor, he knows your case but if you had to hire a solicitor after negative response, then the solicitor has to learn your case history etc.
(Having a solicitor is like buying a car insurance really. When you have it, everything is ok and when you don't have it, that's when trouble starts, lol)

- Total budget for EEA4 application breakdown
Application fee: £55
Passport Photographs: £10
Postage fee: varies for outgoing (to the HO) and incoming (from the HO). Remember to weigh the items before you post and put in the self addressed envelope.
Solicitor's Fee: between £250 to £350 (doesn't have to be a fancy one. As long as they are registered on http://www.sra.org.uk, it should be fine)
Waiting Time for Outcome: Priceless. :mrgreen:

Good luck and I'll be happy to answer any questions. There is no such thing as a silly question but please don't ask really d'oh obvious or lazy to google questions.