ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

british passport application counter signatory verification

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

british passport application counter signatory verification

Post by UKBALoveStory » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:00 pm

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question. I am going to apply for first British passport for kids. They are registered as British. Does anybody know if passport office is going to verify the counter signatory? i.e. Are they going to send a letter to counter signatory and ask some questions? or Are they going to call him/her? or do nothing?

If anybody has recently applied for passport for their minor kids and can share the experience that will be great. I am thinking of using the check and send service.

Thanks
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

zzzindagi

Re: british passport application counter signatory verificat

Post by zzzindagi » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:25 pm

Yes they may contact the counter signatory. I personally know two persons who recently applied for their kids and their applications got delayed because their counter signatory did not reply back to the passport office.

By the way.. Did you put the grandparent's detail in the form?
ZR

zeusmagnanimous

Post by zeusmagnanimous » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:26 pm

In theory they can do that although a number of friends of mine have applied in the last year or so and used the same referee who is also a friend, he never received any calls for verification.

boloney

Post by boloney » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:31 pm

mine son`s application was checked while my daughter passport arrived hassle free. but it was few years ago.

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:42 am

zzzindagi wrote:Yes they may contact the counter signatory. I personally know two persons who recently applied for their kids and their applications got delayed because their counter signatory did not reply back to the passport office.

By the way.. Did you put the grandparent's detail in the form?
Thanks for replying. I think it is not required if you have obtained the citizenship through registration/naturalisation
Page 15 of guidance wrote:
About grandparents: If your parents were born on or after 1 January 1983, you will also need to provide evidence of your
grandparents’ claim to British nationality by providing their birth certificates and, in the case of grandfathers, their marriage
certificates if the certificates are available. This does not apply if:
• your parents’ British nationality is based on registration, naturalisation or their immigration status, or
Also, see FAQ
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:38 am

UKBALoveStory wrote:Thanks for replying. I think it is not required if you have obtained the citizenship through registration/naturalisation
Some Post Offices are, for the lack of better work, ill-informed for this particular point. Happened to me last year, I tried explaining I am Naturalised Citizen and yet they asked for my grandparent's details. I borrowed a plain paper from them and wrote all names I could remember and put the DOB/Place Of Birth, Marriage date all as "UNKNOWN". I got my Passport within two weeks.

Now for my daughter, I know her grandparents' details partially, so will follow same process as above. Just to be one safe side, keeping it simple and saving myself from any Post Office bad experiences.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Post by akhurshid » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:45 am

fwd079 wrote:
UKBALoveStory wrote:Thanks for replying. I think it is not required if you have obtained the citizenship through registration/naturalisation
Some Post Offices are, for the lack of better work, ill-informed for this particular point. Happened to me last year, I tried explaining I am Naturalised Citizen and yet they asked for my grandparent's details. I borrowed a plain paper from them and wrote all names I could remember and put the DOB/Place Of Birth, Marriage date all as "UNKNOWN". I got my Passport within two weeks.

Now for my daughter, I know her grandparents' details partially, so will follow same process as above. Just to be one safe side, keeping it simple and saving myself from any Post Office bad experiences.
I agree with this. Post office staff is not properly trained.
I have had a issue where I was asked to send my birth certificate for my daughter's passport. When I said it's not required, the lady said 'I do this day in day out so I know it is required'.
I didn't have one anyway so she forced me to send my passport and BRP which again wasn't required.
Needless to say that I haven't used check and send since. Have applied for 2 more passports myself and never had a problem.