ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK born child citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

udy2peu
Newly Registered

UK born child citizenship

Post by udy2peu » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:31 pm

Hi everybody

I have a question, please.

I became a British Citizen last year, and I am now looking to register both my children as British Citizens.

They both were born in the UK, but at the time of birth, neither myself nor my wife had ILR.

Reading though the MN1 guide, on page 7, it says that a child born in the UK will automatically acquire British Citizenship if one or both parents are British Citizens. As I am now a British Citizen, does this mean that i don't have to register the children as British Citizens? It doesn't say that one or both parents need to be British Citizens at the time of the child birth.

I am a bit confused and i hope that my understanding is correct.

I really hope you can help.

Many thanks

milan69
Diamond Member

Re: UK born child citizenship

Post by milan69 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:33 pm

Once you have received your ILR your children are eligible for BC. You have to register them first before applying for passport.
I am sometimes wrong.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:34 pm

MN Guide, page 7 quote
British citizenship otherwise than by descent

A child born in the UK to parents one or both of whom are
• British citizens
Your child was not born to British citizens. Therefore, it did not have British citizenship. Subsequent acquisition of ILR and citizenship does not detract from that fact.

As the parents have subsequently become British, the child is entitled to be registered as a British citizen under Section 1(3). But it is not an automatic process.

udy2peu
Newly Registered

Post by udy2peu » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:49 pm

Many thanks for the replies. It now makes sense.

Also, I posted a topic "Registering a Latvia child as a British Citizen" a while back, but i have yet received a reply.

Would you please be kind enough to cast your eyes over it and let me know what i should do?

i am just concerned that if i submit my application it might get rejected.

Thanking you in advance.