ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

wife has english problem

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

irfan594

wife has english problem

Post by irfan594 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:40 pm

hi my wife has been in the uk for about 1 month on a spouse visa.she has a degree in BA her English is not fluent. so what i would like to know is what the best way to deal with this problem do i send her to colleague or does anyone know a good colleague or organization

many people have been through the same situation as i'm going through so any kind of information or direction will be much appreciated

many thanks in advance

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:17 pm

Colleague or College? I think I'd read recently that the British government was offering free english classes for new immigrants. Try to contact your local community center or library.

mads

Post by mads » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:17 pm

YOu can contact the Learning Skills Council for your area or the government website http://www10.learndirect-advice-search. ... e?a=260405 and do a search from their website for ESOL (english for speakers of other languages) classes.

The class is normally for a year and starts at entry level. Unfortunately, due to popularity, the classes get full very quick and you need to get your wife's name down quickly. If they are fully booked, put her name on the waiting list as not everyone shows up for class and she might be able to attend.
The college I work at do a eligibility test (i.e. check on status) then book a language test to determine her level and would recommend from there which class would be most suitable.
I wish your wife success in this.
Partner: British Citizen; Me: SA with ILR (qualified through spouse visa). Updated March 2009 - naturalised.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:49 pm

irfan594, you don't disclose your location in the UK, which is within your rights, but in the absence of that information you are not going to get any information from those living in that area.

Can you say what town or city you live in, or near?
John