ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please advise - ILR for Wife, confused.com

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

huqqapani
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Please advise - ILR for Wife, confused.com

Post by huqqapani » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:24 am

Fellow and prospective readers and users of this forum, I wanted to share my journey to UK immigration to get some advice on my situation.
I am currently waiting for British Citizenship (on the basis of 10 years Long residence and 1 year ILR). My wife joined me in June 2011 from South Asia on a Work Permit dependent visa. She was transferred to Tier 2 dependent in February 2013 and then to FLR(M) in April 2014 after I received my ILR in November 2013.

When I applied for ILR long residence in July 2013, I had no idea that I would end up waiting for 5 years (from the time of FLRM and NOT when she arrived in UK) for my wife's ILR/BC. I was stupid enough to think that 2.5 years would apply but did not confirm whether this would apply to my case. I am a qualified Chartered Engineer and have had international visits/and brief work experiences in my last 8 years profession. I have had several offers from other countries mostly both European and non European countries due to my experience. The offers are based on 3 years contracts. However I am not sure what should I do. Whether this would cause issues for my wife's' visa extension and eventual ILR/BC. The fact is that we want to live together whether here or abroad.

So the question to gurus is really, what is the best way forward apart from waiting till Apr 2019 when she gets her ILR/BC. the opportunities I am getting now may not be there by then :? Couple of scenarios I have in mind, If I was to go abroad on my own, how would it effect her chances of ILR/BC? If she moves out with me and her FLRM expires, how would she re-enter after my contract abroad finishes. Would she have to apply again as FLRM? Can she renew her FLRM before it expires by returning to UK?

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Please advise - ILR for Wife, confused.com

Post by fwd079 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:13 pm

huqqapani wrote:If I was to go abroad on my own, how would it effect her chances of ILR/BC?
As long as she is your wife and stays in UK for required time period, she can apply for ILR.
huqqapani wrote:If she moves out with me and her FLRM expires, how would she re-enter after my contract abroad finishes. Would she have to apply again as FLRM? Can she renew her FLRM before it expires by returning to UK?
It depends upon your situation, if you are British Citizen by then, she will be applying on Spouse Visa, otherwise FLR(M) and personally suggesting I'd let her stay in UK if its not too inconvenient and once you are British you can always have a home here in UK where she can stay for completion of her three years residency in UK, then she can apply for BC.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

huqqapani
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by huqqapani » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:40 pm

Thanks fwd079
As long as she is your wife and stays in UK for required time period, she can apply for ILR
I didn't know that, my understanding was that if she applies for ILR as my partner (partner of a BC) she or we would have to satisfy cohabitation requirements :?: :?:
It depends upon your situation, if you are British Citizen by then, she will be applying on Spouse Visa, otherwise FLR(M)
I certainly will be a BC before I move out of UK and I thought FLRM was a Spouse visa :?:
once you are British you can always have a home here in UK where she can stay for completion of her three years residency in UK, then she can apply for BC

so, does she need to be on FLRM visa for 3 years or 5 years before applying for ILR?

huqqapani
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by huqqapani » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:53 am

Anyone please :?

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:28 am

As I can see the main issues is your wife getting ILR. Once she does she can apply the same day for naturalisation if she had lived 3 years in UK and married to you.
I suggest you seek an answer in ILR section.
I am sometimes wrong.

huqqapani
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by huqqapani » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:46 am

Thanks milan69. I am aware that she can apply for BC the day she receives ILR. Its just that i am not sure whether the factors i have mentioned above will have an impact on her ILR or not?
Can a moderator please move this to ILR so that I can continue with quest for info on my specific issue as advised my milan69