ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying from Tier-4 to Tier-2 - How long?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mashayekh_hosein
United Kingdom

Applying from Tier-4 to Tier-2 - How long?

Post by mashayekh_hosein » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:34 pm

Hello everyone

I have a question about applying from Tier-4 visa to Tier-2 visa.

I know that the Tier-2 visa can be granted for a maximum of 5 years at the first instance and it is possible to extend it further, to a total maximum of 6 years.

However, reading the Tier-2 visa guidance for switching from Tier-4 visa to Tier-2 visa, it is said that "You can stay in the UK for up to 5 years after switching to a Tier 2 (General) visa."

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/switch-to-this-visa

Does this mean if I switch from Tier-4 to Tier-2, then I can not use the whole 6 years possible and I can stay only for a maximum of 5 years, or is it just referring to the maximum initial visa grantable, and like other tier-2 visas, those switching from Tier-4 to Tier-2 can also extend the initial visa later to make it a total maximum of 6 years.

I personally think any Tier-2 visa holder should be able to extend the visa for the maximum of 6 years period since I could not find any exception in the policy guidance mentioning that one cannot apply for the extension as long as it is within 6 years.

Please advise me. Thanks!

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Applying from Tier-4 to Tier-2 - In country?

Post by manci » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:22 pm

mashayekh_hosein wrote:Hello everyone

I have a question about applying from Tier-4 visa to Tier-2 visa.

I know that the Tier-2 visa can be granted for a maximum of 5 years at the first instance and it is possible to extend it further, to a total maximum of 6 years.

However, reading the Tier-2 visa guidance for switching from Tier-4 visa to Tier-2 visa, it is said that "You can stay in the UK for up to 5 years after switching to a Tier 2 (General) visa."

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/switch-to-this-visa

Does this mean if I switch from Tier-4 to Tier-2, then I can not use the whole 6 years possible and I can stay only for a maximum of 5 years, or is it just referring to the maximum initial visa grantable, and like other tier-2 visas, those switching from Tier-4 to Tier-2 can also extend the initial visa later to make it a total maximum of 6 years.

I personally think any Tier-2 visa holder should be able to extend the visa for the maximum of 6 years period since I could not find any exception in the policy guidance mentioning that one cannot apply for the extension as long as it is within 6 years.
the text in the link above is misleading. See immigration rule 245HE(a) which is the law:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _final.pdf

Please advise me. Thanks!

mashayekh_hosein
United Kingdom

Re: Applying from Tier-4 to Tier-2 - How long?

Post by mashayekh_hosein » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:52 pm

Thank you manci. I read the 245HE(a) and as you correctly said, that statement is misleading. As far I understood, all Tier 2 visa holders, whether they have switched into Tier-2 from Tier 4 or not, can apply for Tier-2 extensions as long as the total duration on Tier-2 is within 6 years period. Correct me if I am wrong!