ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport application for baby born overseas

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

DuncLua
Newly Registered

British Passport application for baby born overseas

Post by DuncLua » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:52 am

Hi,

I am a British Citizen with an Angolan wife who is currently working and living in Angola. We have 1 son who was born in Angola but now has a British passport which we applied for from within Angola.
Due to a change of job, we are set to leave Angola and start living in the UK within the next 4-5 months. However, we are expecting our second child at the end of April and I am concerned that we will not have enough time following the birth to apply for the baby's British passport from within Angola.

Could I please get some advise as to whether the application for the British Passport for the baby could be done from within the UK? If we get an Angolan passport and 6 month UK Visitor Visa for the baby I am hoping that we can then enter the UK and start the application from there.

Thank you for any advice or help.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: British Passport application for baby born overseas

Post by fwd079 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:51 am

Could I please get some advise as to whether the application for the British Passport for the baby could be done from within the UK?
As far as I know, child will be British by descent no matter where child is born, can apply for British passport directly.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

Feb4
Newly Registered

Post by Feb4 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:37 pm

You cannot apply from within the UK for a British passport for him. On the declaration form of the passport application, you must confirm you and the child are in the UK. Moreover, they will ask for the passport the child used to travel to the UK if you use the form designed for applications from within the UK.

I know because I am in the same situation.

I am British, living in the UK. My wife is a Nigerian and she gave birth to our son in Nigeria last year.
She applied for a spouse visa and has got it; She will be here in UK on 5 March 2015.

My son is British by descent since at the time of his birth I was already a British citizen.
If we apply for a British passport for my son in Nigeria, the process takes at least 12 weeks to complete(too long).

However, if he is in the UK, we can apply for a British passport for him here.

In that case, can I apply for a child visitor for my son to accompany his mother on 5 March, and then apply for a British passport for him whilst here in the UK?

Any help will do.

zeusmagnanimous

Post by zeusmagnanimous » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:57 pm

Feb4 wrote:You cannot apply from within the UK for a British passport for him. On the declaration form of the passport application, you must confirm you and the child are in the UK. Moreover, they will ask for the passport the child used to travel to the UK if you use the form designed for applications from within the UK.

I know because I am in the same situation.

I am British, living in the UK. My wife is a Nigerian and she gave birth to our son in Nigeria last year.
She applied for a spouse visa and has got it; She will be here in UK on 5 March 2015.

My son is British by descent since at the time of his birth I was already a British citizen.
If we apply for a British passport for my son in Nigeria, the process takes at least 12 weeks to complete(too long).

However, if he is in the UK, we can apply for a British passport for him here.

In that case, can I apply for a child visitor for my son to accompany his mother on 5 March, and then apply for a British passport for him whilst here in the UK?

Any help will do.
Your son is british and therefore he cannot apply for a visa, if you apply for his visa it will be refused. The only option is to apply for a British Passport or Right of Abode.