ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship app (EEA Route) queries

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pinky72
Newly Registered

Citizenship app (EEA Route) queries

Post by pinky72 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and have a few questions about applying for citizenship. I've looked through this forum to see if anyone has ever posted the same questions but haven't found them.

My apologies if this should be posted to the EEA route page - but it does fall under both categories so I posted it here.

My background: I'm an EEA national and have been in the UK since October 2008 (over 6 years). I have completed the Life in the UK test and passed. I've been employed since arriving but in 2012 I started my own Ltd company and am a "Director" in that company.

My questions are about the following:

Section:
1.3: Indefinite leave to remain date is the date after I completed my 5 years of continuous residency in the UK?

1.15: Current marital status:
I was married twice before - NOT in the UK and NOT to a BC. Do I still need to disclose these divorces? They have nothing to do with the UK and have no bearing on my life in the UK. I'm not trying to hide anything but I don't know if I still need to declare them.

2.2: If I can't remember the exact dates of absences in the last 5 years - how do I complete this section? Should I put a note in the "Further information not covered in other sections" page stating that I can't remember the exact dates?

3.1 - 3.5: Do I need to supply accounts or a letter from my accountant?

5.1: As GPs are no longer on the list, and I don't know anyone else who fulfils the criteria for the 1st referee - how can I complete this section? Can either referee 1 or 2 be my partner? We're not married but does the UK government consider him family? And for that matter, would his parents (who fulfil the other criteria for a referee) be considered family?

Many thanks in advance for your help with these questions.
:D

milan69
Diamond Member

Re: Citizenship app (EEA Route) queries

Post by milan69 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:55 pm

1. ILR is a residence permit. When applying under 5 years residency you need to have ILR for one year at least.
2. I believe you should disclose your marital status. Other questions like details if and when were our parents married are irrelevant but we should disclose them.
3. You should do your best to give as exact number of days absent as you can.
4. Your partner can not be your referee as he is closely related to you. Even though not on the list I think GP can actually be your first referee. The main reason they took GP of the list was not to waste their time for acting as referees.
Your second referee needs to British, over 25 and to have known you for 3 years.
I am sometimes wrong.

pinky72
Newly Registered

Post by pinky72 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:36 pm

Thanks for the reply milan69 - but I'm afraid that not all of the answers you gave me are quite what I was looking for.

1.3: Indefinite leave to remain date is the date after I completed my 5 years of continuous residency in the UK?
What I'm looking for is whether or not that question pertains to the date at the end of the 5 year period or the 12 month period following the 5 year period. As an EEA national, ILR isn't a residence permit that's granted - it's assumed because as an EEA national you're exercising free movement through the EEA.

So - if anyone else is able to help that would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks again.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:19 pm

Indefinite Leave to remain is something that you have to apply for and it is the final step before applying for naturalisation, for most people.

As far as EEA and non EEA family members is concerned:
Under EEA regulations, Permanent Residence status is obtained automatically after 5 years of exercising treaty rights. You need to hold PR status for 1 year to be eligible for naturalisation (unless you are married to a BC) so effectively you can apply after 6 years of residence in the UK. Having a PR Confirmation (following EEA3/EEA4 application) is optional and is not required in order to apply for naturalisation.
Read here please:
http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/info/20041 ... vice_ncs/5

I hope this helps.
I am sometimes wrong.