ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship for child

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

basu
Newly Registered

Citizenship for child

Post by basu » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:24 am

Hi

Could someone clarify me when I can apply for citizenship for my child ?

I and my wife both got our ILR in Sep 2014.
My child was born in outside country at Dec 2014.
My wife & child will be back here on Oct 2015.
I am planning to apply for my Citizenship in Nov 2015.

Can I apply for Citizenship for my child as well along with me ?
if not how long does my child need to wait ?

Thanks in advance

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Citizenship for child

Post by fwd079 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:48 am

Does child have ILR?

If not, then firstly child needs to have an ILR since child was not born inside UK.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

basu
Newly Registered

Post by basu » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:50 pm

Nope. How long would it take to get ILR for child ?
What VISA I need to apply for my child from outside country ?

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:04 pm

If the child was born outside the UK, then once one parent applies for naturalisation, the child can apply for Registration under section 3(1). The is application at discretion and the HO would expect that the other parent to hold (or to be close to holding) a ILR/PR status.

For the guidelines on Registration at discretion see section 9.17.:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 150107.pdf
I am sometimes wrong.

basu
Newly Registered

Post by basu » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Thanks Milan.

I understand that I can register my child as British Citizen along with my naturalisation.
What VISA, i need to apply for my child to bring here.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:05 pm

Once the child has got British citizenship, they would not require a visa. You will need to apply for a British passport for them. Alternately, you could get a CoE-RoA in their existing passport.

If you wish to bring them here before they get British citizenship, you can apply for a "Family member of settled person" visa for them.

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/overview

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:15 am

basu wrote:Nope. How long would it take to get ILR for child ?
What VISA I need to apply for my child from outside country ?
Secret simon has given the answer already please go through the link in the post above mine.

ammaralvi

Post by ammaralvi » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:00 pm

secret.simon wrote:Once the child has got British citizenship, they would not require a visa. You will need to apply for a British passport for them. Alternately, you could get a CoE-RoA in their existing passport.

If you wish to bring them here before they get British citizenship, you can apply for a "Family member of settled person" visa for them.

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/overview
A quick question with regards to this scenario - is the suggestion here that Basu should get naturalisation in November 2015 and then apply for child's registration from abroad? Is that possible? What form is used for that, MN1?

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:44 pm

An application under Section 3(1) is unlikely to succeed from abroad.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ammaralvi

Post by ammaralvi » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:09 am

Thanks vinny. But how does the following become true then (believe this is an excerpt from the FAQs section)?
milan69 wrote:If the child was born outside the UK, then once one parent applies for naturalisation, the child can apply for Registration under section 3(1). The is application at discretion and the HO would expect that the other parent to hold (or to be close to holding) a ILR/PR status.

For the guidelines on Registration at discretion see section 9.17.:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 150107.pdf
I believe the statement above makes you understand Registration under 3(1) can be applied from anywhere as it is at discretion anyway. And under 13s don't have any residential requirements anyway - a question I asked but never got response for on this forum.

Is there any resource describing what is the discretion allowed and what are complete no-no's?

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:12 pm

ammaralvi wrote:Thanks vinny. But how does the following become true then (believe this is an excerpt from the FAQs section)?

Is there any resource describing what is the discretion allowed and what are complete no-no's?

Click this link to search through publications for your question, I have pre-searched it as much as I understood your question. Or at least it can help you search what exactly were you looking for.

ammaralvi

Post by ammaralvi » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:21 pm

Thanks fwd079 but too overwhelming. The main objective of coming to any forum is to get more informed and quick answer than going through 104 documents in an 'official' language that is so much difficult and as confusing as a specific case would be.

I believe I have very clearly put the question as the statement I refer to from FAQs really confuses you when compared with vinny's later comment. It should be clarified appropriately or if this is something unknown that should also be communicated.

I'd appreciate if gurus of this forum could address my questions.