ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp4EuFAM needs UK visa?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

masterboy123
Member of Standing
Ireland

Stamp4EuFAM needs UK visa?

Post by masterboy123 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:10 pm

Hi,
Do Stamp4EUFAM holders needs visa to visit UK? To visit London and Belfast?

jeupsy

Re: Stamp4EuFAM needs UK visa?

Post by jeupsy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:36 pm

In theory a visa is not needed as long as the EU Fam holder is accompanied by their EU family member (this is what EU directive says and it worked for every country my partner and I have tried except the UK).

In practice, the UK being the UK they are not too interested in following an EU directive. As opposed to most other embassies, you will never get any confirmation from the UK one that you can enter visa free. And if you get random checked when you are landing there (they do it in some airports but not all) you are on your own. We preferred not to take any chance and my partner got a visa when we went there.

masterboy123
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by masterboy123 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:11 pm

Ok, so a visa is recommended.
How long does it take to get the visa and how long is it valid for? Is there interview?

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:21 am

I think by default they give a 6 months multi-entry visa (this is what my partner got anyway). I *think* afterwards you can get a longer one but they will only give it as a second visa and it costs more.

As part of the on-line application you pick a time for an appointment there to bring your documents and get your fingerprints taken. It is not an interview as per say, but you have to go to the embassy in person. As far as I can remember there were appointments available a week ahead if you were flexible with times, and once she submitted the documents it took another two weeks to get the visa.