ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA2 - NZ & Northern Irish (Dual Citizenship)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

marissa123
Newly Registered

EEA2 - NZ & Northern Irish (Dual Citizenship)

Post by marissa123 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:21 am

Hi,

I would be grateful if anyone could offer any advise!

I'm a New Zealand Citizen currently on a Tier 1 visa, I've been with my boyfriend for over 3 years whose Northern Irish, he has both a British passport & Irish Passport.

1. Can I still apply for EEA2 application? (or is it likely I will be rejected?)

Thank you so much for your help

Marissa

jenfm
Newly Registered

Re: EEA2 - NZ & Northern Irish (Dual Citizenship)

Post by jenfm » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:27 pm

Hi Marissa!

I'm in the same boat!!..where are you both living?
My situation is that im dual Brit/irish from Northern Ireland and my hubby is Aussie...we lived in the uk 1st and he was on uk spouse visa back in 2009 we then moved to Dublin and lived there for four years and have now moved back to Northern Ireland...we went the eea2 Surinder Singh route based on me being British,I was advised by lawer that we should be fine since we covers reg 9 and centre of life rules...got COA end of nov so still waiting...but also my friend is from Northern Ireland and also Brit/Irish and her hubby kiwi and they applied on her irish and the got the Residence card no probs,they had been living in Australia for a few years and just moved back when they applied...hope this helps! I'll update this site once I get update! ;)

marissa123
Newly Registered

Post by marissa123 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:30 pm

jenfm wrote:Hi Marissa!

I'm in the same boat!!..where are you both living?
My situation is that im dual Brit/irish from Northern Ireland and my hubby is Aussie...we lived in the uk 1st and he was on uk spouse visa back in 2009 we then moved to Dublin and lived there for four years and have now moved back to Northern Ireland...we went the eea2 Surinder Singh route based on me being British,I was advised by lawer that we should be fine since we covers reg 9 and centre of life rules...got COA end of nov so still waiting...but also my friend is from Northern Ireland and also Brit/Irish and her hubby kiwi and they applied on her irish and the got the Residence card no probs,they had been living in Australia for a few years and just moved back when they applied...hope this helps! I'll update this site once I get update! ;)
Hi Jenn,

Thank you so much for your response, really appreciate this.
Definitely let me know what your outcome is.
We have both been living and working in London for over 4 years.

Thank you, Marissa

jenfm
Newly Registered

Post by jenfm » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:36 pm

Hi no worries!!

Yea you have a few options but I think you need to live together in another eea country together 1st to avail of this via Surinder Singh...it's very confusing and did take me a while to get my head round it but the law centre In Belfast are great ,if you call them and explain your situation.

Will keep you posted and let me know how you get on

J x

marissa123
Newly Registered

Post by marissa123 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:49 am

Hi Jen,

Just to give you an update. I called the call centre (which was amazing, they were really friendly). They confirmed that I am able to apply for EEA (EFM) - new forms which have just been released the other day. They said it's fine that my partner has dual citizenship as he will be exercising his Treaty rights with his Irish Passport.
The new form is incredibly comprehensive, so I'm compiling all my evidence and I'll let you know how I get on!

Details below to contact them:
Citizenship and nationality enquiries
ukbanationalityenquiries@ukba.gsi.gov.uk
Telephone: 0300 123 2253
Monday to Thursday, 9am to 5pm
Friday, 9am to 4.30pm

Marissa x

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:13 pm

marissa123 wrote:Hi Jen,

Just to give you an update. I called the call centre (which was amazing, they were really friendly). They confirmed that I am able to apply for EEA (EFM) - new forms which have just been released the other day. They said it's fine that my partner has dual citizenship as he will be exercising his Treaty rights with his Irish Passport.
The new form is incredibly comprehensive, so I'm compiling all my evidence and I'll let you know how I get on!

Details below to contact them:
Citizenship and nationality enquiries
ukbanationalityenquiries@ukba.gsi.gov.uk
Telephone: 0300 123 2253
Monday to Thursday, 9am to 5pm
Friday, 9am to 4.30pm

Marissa x
I'm not sure that this information is correct. See here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ily-permit

"EUN2.16 Can family members of dual British / Irish nationals qualify for an EEA family permit?
Until 16 July 2012 persons who held British citizenship and who were also nationals of another EEA member state could rely on that EEA nationality to benefit from the terms of the Directive. This was because Regulation 2 of the 2006 Regulations did not preclude such dual national British citizens from benefitting from free right movements.

The definition of EEA national in Regulation 2 was amended on 16 July 2012 to preclude dual British citizens/EEA nationals from benefitting from the Directive and therefore also to preclude their family members from relying upon free movement rights.

The McCarthy judgment determined that a person who holds the nationality of the host Member State (in our case British nationality) and has never exercised their right of free movement and residence does not benefit from the terms of the Free Movement Directive. This is regardless of whether or not they hold dual nationality with another member state. This means that family members are also unable to derive a right of residence under the Directive on their basis of their relationship to such a national. British citizens can only acquire free movement rights in certain scenarios and so are in general prevented from circumventing the requirements of the Immigration Rules when sponsoring entry to the UK of family members.

Where a person has applied on the basis that they are a dual British citizen/EEA national on or after 16 July 2012 then the application must be refused unless the person either:

Meets the provisions of regulation 9 (which gives effect to the ECJ case of Surinder Singh or
Comes within the scope of the transitional arrangements set out below.
The provisions of the transitional arrangement apply where a person:

Has a right to permanent residence in the UK in reliance on the previous definition on the 16 July 2012 or
Has a right to reside in the UK on 16 July 2012 and on 16 October 2012 either:
i. Holds a valid registration certificate or residence card issued under the 2006 Regulations, or ii. Has made an application under the 2006 Regulations for a registration certificate or residence card which has not yet been determined iii. Has made an application under the 2006 Regulations for a registration certificate or residence card which has been refused and in relation to which an appeal under regulation 26 could be brought whilst the appellant is in the UK or is pending.

The transitional arrangements apply until:

The six month validity period to enter the UK in reliance on a family permit has expired and the family has not entered the UK.
Any appeal can no longer be brought
Any appeal is dismissed, withdrawn or abandoned
The person ceases to be the family member of the EEA national
Any right of permanent residence is lost as a result of absence from the UKThis means that once a right is lost, appeal rights against a claimed right are exhausted or a family permit is not used, reliance can no longer be placed by that person on the previous definition of an EEA national."

jenfm
Newly Registered

Post by jenfm » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:47 pm

Hi Marissa!

How are you getting on? Yea I agree with what Clive said and surprised they recommend you do this,yes the form has completely changed since we applied!..as far as am aware if you and your partner go and live in Dublin for a few months and centre your life there then come back and apply via SS on his British citizenship as this worked for us,we just got his Permit! Or I know others have renounced British Citizenship so you can remain in Northern Ireland and apply on his Irish Citizenship...hope you get your head round it all and try to keep up to date with home office changes x