ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen visa application form

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

clairey

Post by clairey » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:29 am

Hi guys,

We've just got back from Portugal, and I thought I'd share some info with you. As some of you may know from my previous posts, I'm British, my husband is Albanian with ILR, and he travelled to Portugal on a Swedish-issued 3 month multi-entrance visa. When we got to immigration at Faro airport, the officer had a good look through my husband's passport (quite a few visas to go though!), then he had a good look at his Schengen visa and said "Which country issued you this visa?" so my husband said "Sweden" (at this point I started thinking 'Oh God, he's going to ask why haven't we been to Sweden'). Then the officer looked at me and said "Are you married?" so we said yes, and he had a look at my passport "Ah, British" he said. "Yours is quicker". Then he said "You know, Sweden shouldn't have given you this visa. As you are married to an EU citizen, all you need is proof you are married and your passports. Next time you don't need to get a visa!" and with that he stamped my husband's passport and wished us a pleasant holiday! We were stunned!

Fionn

Post by Fionn » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:35 pm

The same thing happened to me last year..I couldn't believe it!
I asked the German and French embassy about it, and they told me that Portugal shouldn't be doing it. I don't care anyway, since I can get to Portugal without a visa now! I wonder what happens if you drive over to Spain or France? Would this be illegal?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:53 am

Fionn wrote:The same thing happened to me last year..I couldn't believe it!
I asked the German and French embassy about it, and they told me that Portugal shouldn't be doing it.
That is funny because I approach two German two border guards working at the airport, and asked whether an UK issued Residence Card would exempt a person from needing a Schengen visa. They told me very clearly that if the non-EU was traveling with their EU partner and they were carrying their marriage certificate, then there was absolutely no need for the visa.

I think the embassy is in the business of issuing visas and they will never get in trouble for having issued a visa to somebody who does not need it. Their natural tendency is to say that everyone needs a visa.

globocentro
Newly Registered

Post by globocentro » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:15 pm

jes2jes wrote:Marie B wrote:
In contrast the German Immigration Officials pounced on my husband on the gangway to the plane back to Heathrow and asked a lot of un-pc questions very loudly in front of everyone even though he has a valid spouse visa - had to try very hard not to shout 'he's with me'.
Marie, I must agree with you that the German's in my opinion are the worst of all in Europe concerning non-EU citizens using their ports. I once went through Frankfurt on my way to the states because of a flight cancellation going direct and the alternative was to transit through their ports. I had the transit visa alright from their embassy in London (I must say they are very professional at that place). They singled out only non-Eu citizens to question. I was not very happy with them and I refused to answer any questions they asked since I was not coming to Germany but just transiting. I told them any questions they ask which is not relevant to my journey would not be answered and I stuck to that. I had a very squeezed face at the IO's. Later they photocopied my passport and wanted to check if I was really going to the states. I told them I will not step foot in their country for the love of beer.

My brother was studying in Berlin later on for his MSc but I refused to go there although I had the visas issued but for the sake of their attitude, they lost my tourist money and love.

The French I must agree are spot on because they know the rules and regulations but some of the others are just plain lazy and unprofessional.

One day all these will end and we will not need to go through all these hassle.
I passed through Frankfurt Airport Passport Control twice recently and i must say that i was really stunned at how i was treated. I am the holder of a Malaysian passport and i entered without any visas on both ocassions. However, the I/Os didnt ask me any questions on both ocassions and treated the whole thing as if it was just a mere formality. He just stamped my passport after scanning it. I was actually expecting quite a few questions .

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:54 pm

globocentro wrote: passed through Frankfurt Airport Passport Control twice recently and i must say that i was really stunned at how i was treated. I am the holder of a Malaysian passport and i entered without any visas on both ocassions. However, the I/Os didnt ask me any questions on both ocassions and treated the whole thing as if it was just a mere formality. He just stamped my passport after scanning it. I was actually expecting quite a few questions .
Malaysian citizens do not require a visa when travelling to one of the Schengen countries for business or tourism reasons. The stay in the Schengen States, however, may not exceed 90 days within a 6-months period.

I think the border police typically do not bother much with people who do not require a visa, unless there is something that makes them interesting.