ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Degree Taught in English

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kamal_ece

Degree Taught in English

Post by kamal_ece » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:38 am

Hi Guys,

I am planning to make an dependent application for British Citizenship. She already has ILR. She already obtained the Life in the UK test certificate as part of ILR in 2010. For the section or category for English speaking/listening I got a certificate from University stating the degree was taught in English.

Does this suffice the requirement or does she still have to appear for English exams?

Regards,
KK

milan69
Diamond Member

Re: Degree Taught in English

Post by milan69 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:00 am

Was it university in UK?
I am sometimes wrong.

kamal_ece

Post by kamal_ece » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:36 pm

Hi,

Its Karnataka University from India.

Second issue:

I realized today that my wife name is missing an alphabet in the surname from the certificate obtained from the university to state that the degree was taught in english. If this certificate can be used to satisfy the english requirement criteria should this name mispelt matter?

Regards,
KK

zeusmagnanimous

Post by zeusmagnanimous » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:53 pm

My wife had a similar situation, she had a "medium of instruction" certificate which universities normally give out and from what I recall I learned during the process that "The degree is taught in English" certificate (as asked by Home Office) is not the same as "Medium of Instruction" certificate. In the end, to keep the application simple she just took the english test.

kamal_ece

Post by kamal_ece » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:01 pm

Many thanks for the replies.

Oh, I am surprised on this. Not sure of what is the difference between these two documents.
Anyone has any idea what this document is ?
Has anyone taken this route and not write an exam to satisfy this criteria?

Regards,
KK

cmpic

Post by cmpic » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:09 pm

I had a similar situation so this is what I was told by person assisting me from Nationality Checking Service. I applied with the below printout and letter from my uni that all courses are taught in English - now I should caveat that I am still waiting for a response from HO...

What you'd need to do is go the points calculator here:
https://www.points.homeoffice.gov.uk/gu ... ment.faces

Complete the drop downs as follows:
Tier 2 (Skilled workers)
Tier 2 (General)
Applying from inside the UK
Switching your current stay
You do have a certificate of sponsorship
You will be earning the appropriate salary
You have a UK Bachelor degree or equivalent
Then go through and select the country and state of award, qualification etc...
If it comes up to award you 10 points for English language ability it should be suitable for the citizenship application.

You should then print off that '10 points' page and include it with the application.

kamal_ece

Post by kamal_ece » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:03 pm

Many thanks for the reply.
A few queries, hope you don't mind me asking.
When did you apply for the BC for your wife?
Approx expected date of result? (At the moment I'm not rush to apply for BC for my wife so can wait for your result).
NCS location?
Can you share the content of the degree taught in english letter?
We are actually from HSMP >> Tier 1>> ILR Route. Does this matter to the selection criteria you suggested in your earlier message to generate the printout?
Sorry to bombard you with these queries, I preferred to put atleast some in a PM but seems its not working.

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
KK

cmpic

Post by cmpic » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:37 pm

It was for me actually. Date of the result - I wish I knew! NCS - Southwark.

I was also on HSMP-Tier1-ILR route.

AtulK
Newly Registered

Post by AtulK » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:24 pm

kamal_ece wrote:Many thanks for the reply.
A few queries, hope you don't mind me asking.
When did you apply for the BC for your wife?
Approx expected date of result? (At the moment I'm not rush to apply for BC for my wife so can wait for your result).
NCS location?
Can you share the content of the degree taught in english letter?
We are actually from HSMP >> Tier 1>> ILR Route. Does this matter to the selection criteria you suggested in your earlier message to generate the printout?
Sorry to bombard you with these queries, I preferred to put atleast some in a PM but seems its not working.

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
KK
I applied for naturalisation last year for me and my wife, both of us used the Degree certificate and the print-out from Point based calculator showing 10points for degree in english language and 30 for Bachelor Degree. The PBS has to award you point for the degree and Language, i.e. you need 10 point for english language and 30 points for bachelor degree. Try to change the application dates on PBS if you do not get points, the system has different points for different dates I think 1-jan-2011 worked for me.

There was no problem. Case worker had the knowledge of rule, took copy of degree and said that is sufficient to comply with the law. Our application was processed without any issue.

For your reference I have uploaded the PBS file. I used this with Degree certificate, which NCS took a copy of.
pbs_Page_1.jpg
pbs_Page_1.jpg (143.26 KiB) Viewed 916 times
pbs_Page_2.jpg
pbs_Page_2.jpg (167.65 KiB) Viewed 916 times