ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Am I eligible?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

foeve
Newly Registered

Am I eligible?

Post by foeve » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:05 am

hi everyone. I am from Spain and I have been living in the UK for the last 9 years. I completed 5 continuous years of treaty rights in March 2013 but a few months later I quit my job because I had a baby and since then I am a stay at home mum. My husband makes enough for all 3 of us.
Can I apply for the permanent residence card (PR) based on those 5 years although I have not been exercising treaty rights since March 2013?
My husband can't apply because he hasn't been in continuous work and never registered as an unemployed.
thank you all very much!

foeve
Newly Registered

Re: Am I eligible?

Post by foeve » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:26 pm

I've been going through other posts and I can't find a straight answer or a person with similar situation but I can see people say that you get PR automatically when you complete 5 years so I presume I have gotten PR already back in March 2013 I just need to prove it with documents, am I right?

Also, can I apply for British citizenship now?

thank you

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:46 pm

foeve wrote:I've been going through other posts and I can't find a straight answer or a person with similar situation but I can see people say that you get PR automatically when you complete 5 years so I presume I have gotten PR already back in March 2013 I just need to prove it with documents, am I right?

Also, can I apply for British citizenship now?

thank you
Hey

Yes, you will have achieved PR when you have exercised treaty rights, e.g. as a worker/self-employed person/student with comprehensive sickness insurance or self-sufficient with comprehensive sickness insurance continuously for 5 years.

As long as you have held PR for 1 full year, you can then apply for British citizenship.

It is a good idea to get your PR (via the form here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... orm-eea-pr) to prove your status and then apply for British citizenship. This makes it easier and means that there is less chance of your British citizenship application getting rejected. After all the PR card only costs 55GBP.

Good luck!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:19 pm

If you have worked for 5 continuous years, you have PR status even if you later stopped working. Your husband would also have same status (as your family member) even if he doesn't qualify by his own. You can apply for British citizenship if you have PR status for 1 year.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

foeve
Newly Registered

Post by foeve » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:44 pm

thank you chaoclive and Jambo, this board is amazing, you are a great help!