ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa for family on medical grounds

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

komalmathur
Newly Registered

Visa for family on medical grounds

Post by komalmathur » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:43 pm

Hi

My husband is British citizen and so am I.
I have to apply family visitor visa for my mother in law. She has been here once before for 3 months . I have to apply for her visa again. I am in serious medical mess right now. My GP is ready to provide a strong supporting letter for her visa. He was the one who offered it after going through my medical records. I am confident that she will get 6 month visa without this letter. However, I want her to come here for longer duration (1 yr or may be 2). My medical condition is long term. I have following questions:

1. How likely is she to get 1 yr/2 yr visa with letter from GP ? Any one knows of any familiar case?
2. My understanding is that even if she gets 1 yr visa, she will have to leave after 6 months. Can she come back within a week? is there any guideline on that?
3. Is there any category of visa where I can get help from India ( other than family members) on medical grounds.

Thanks in advance.

regards

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Visa for family on medical grounds

Post by Wanderer » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:51 pm

komalmathur wrote:Hi

My husband is British citizen and so am I.
I have to apply family visitor visa for my mother in law. She has been here once before for 3 months . I have to apply for her visa again. I am in serious medical mess right now. My GP is ready to provide a strong supporting letter for her visa. He was the one who offered it after going through my medical records. I am confident that she will get 6 month visa without this letter. However, I want her to come here for longer duration (1 yr or may be 2). My medical condition is long term. I have following questions:

1. How likely is she to get 1 yr/2 yr visa with letter from GP ? Any one knows of any familiar case?
2. My understanding is that even if she gets 1 yr visa, she will have to leave after 6 months. Can she come back within a week? is there any guideline on that?
3. Is there any category of visa where I can get help from India ( other than family members) on medical grounds.

Thanks in advance.

regards
I think you'll need to expand as to what medical condition would require you to have your mother in law here.

1. Need more info

2. There is no 1 year visa, no she can't come back in a week.

3. Need more info
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

komalmathur
Newly Registered

Post by komalmathur » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:15 pm

HI

1. I have been diagnosed with cancer. Stage 1. I have 2 little girls. Husband is in full time job. So I need someone to help me.
2. https://www.gov.uk/family-visit-visa/overview . This mentions 1 yr visa for family.

any thought ?

regards
komal mathur

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:10 pm

komalmathur wrote:HI

1. I have been diagnosed with cancer. Stage 1. I have 2 little girls. Husband is in full time job. So I need someone to help me.
2. https://www.gov.uk/family-visit-visa/overview . This mentions 1 yr visa for family.

any thought ?

regards
komal mathur
I'm sorry.

I will google about and ask around because to be honest I don't have an answer, whats your prognosis if it's not too personal. Actually it might be better if you don't - you may need want to expose yourself so much on a public forum.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:21 pm

Remember that even if you were to get a long term family visa for your mother in law, she can only stay in the country for six months at a time and she will need to be away for atleast six months.

https://www.gov.uk/family-visit-visa/overview
You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit and your visa can last for 1, 2, 5 or 10 years.
Even if she stays here for only six months and leaves, if she returns too early and too often, she could get a lifetime ban from the UK. You would want to evaluate very carefully if you want to risk that.

https://www.gov.uk/family-visit-visa/eligibility
Your visa may be taken away (revoked) and you may get a long-term ban on visiting the UK if your travel history shows you’re repeatedly living here for extended periods.
Family visit visas is not meant for the kind of visit that you have in mind. They are primarily visit visas, such as one for tourists, with the family ember sponsoring the cost.

You may want to look at a ‘family of a settled person’ visa. The requirements for these are more onerous.
https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/overview
Last edited by secret.simon on Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

komalmathur
Newly Registered

Post by komalmathur » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:25 pm

thanks secret simon.

What kind of visa can be used for such purpose ?

Also, is there a visa to get someone else (other than family) to help in times of crisis ?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:28 pm

You may want to look at a ‘family of a settled person’ visa. The requirements for these are more onerous.

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/overview

I do not think there is anything like a carer's visa, apart from the one above. I think the expectation is that you can get support for caring within the community here. There is support for social care costs that you and your spouse may be able to claim, but that is outside the scope of this forum to discuss.

komalmathur
Newly Registered

Post by komalmathur » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:32 pm

thanks. This is really helpful.

I am sure getting support from community but ......... family is family. I wish there were exceptions. thanks again.