ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 Visa to Study English - Possible?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MovingOn
Newly Registered

Tier 4 Visa to Study English - Possible?

Post by MovingOn » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:13 pm

I have tried to research the possibility of my partner getting a Tier 4 Visa to study English; he is non EEA National.

At first I thought it was not possible as Tier 4 are only available for degrees, however, some websites of universities and colleges seem to imply that a Tier 4 is possible. The main reason for Tier 4 is so that he can work part-time while he is in the UK. I will be sponsoring him and there is no problem with the income level required. I understand he could get a Student Visitor Visa for max of 11 months, which would not allow him to work - but that is a long time for him to be doing housework when not studying! :P

I would say he is intermediate level of English can converse well on a variety of topics, but needs to work on past and future tenses. We are planning to marry in the future and want to do everything correctly, so we can apply for fiancé or spouse visa but before it comes to this do this we need to live together. It is also important for him to improve his English for future work prospects in the UK.

He actually works as a Baker, but unfortunately, no formal qualifications. He really loves this type of job and would want to work at this in the UK, so studying some Baking qualification is also a possibility if that is possible under Tier 4.

Any clarification or pointing in the right direction of websites would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

aaliya1986
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Re: Tier 4 Visa to Study English - Possible?

Post by aaliya1986 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:46 pm

for cooking courses there are many universities. you will have to see and search for the university which is ready to accept him and serves his interest of Baking.

secondly when your to-be-partner will apply to study english in the UK, 99.9% chances are that he will get a refusal, based on the theory that English can be learnt back home and is nothing as such for which he shall be allowed to come to the UK to learn/study. If he argues saying that there are no good places then, most probably there will be British Council to go and take english classes and appeal will also be dismissed.

Best idea would be for him to take English classes and pass an IELTS exam in his country of residence. Once that is done he can then go on an apply for universities. This would also show you how desperate/serious/anxious/willing etc he is to get with you :) :)

and its sad to know that you have mentioned yourself that the MAIN reason for him to get a tier 4 visa is to work part-time, which he would not be able to do if he gets a student visitor visa. The MAIN reason why a person is given a TIER 4 visa is TO STUDY and NOT to work part-time. this just shows that how people use TIER 4 visa category for work other than study.

good luck :)

MovingOn
Newly Registered

Post by MovingOn » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:46 pm

and its sad to know that you have mentioned yourself that the MAIN reason for him to get a tier 4 visa is to work part-time, which he would not be able to do if he gets a student visitor visa.
Perhaps this was badly worded on my part, what I meant was the main reason as opposed to a Student Visitor Visa was so that he could work and contribute to his upkeep. I also stated that learning English and therefore gaining a qualification will help his future work prospects in the UK and therefore important to us.
secondly when your to-be-partner will apply to study english in the UK, 99.9% chances are that he will get a refusal

I didn't realise that when you see so many courses; so thanks for the information, although it will be difficult for him to study English in his place of residence and he works long hours without much time off. I will get him to look in to this.

I assume there are no foundation courses in English that could be done prior to a degree; that would take the place of IELTS exam?

Many thanks

aaliya1986
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by aaliya1986 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:07 pm

please refer to the following point in the tier 4 policy guidance.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _11-14.pdf
335. If you are a Tier 4 (General) student, then you can be given permission to stay to cover
both your pre- sessional course and your main course where your CAS is:
• issued by a UK HEI to cover both a pre-sessional course of no longer than three
months’ duration; and
• you have an unconditional offer of a place on a course of degree level study at that UK
HEI. This includes where the pre-sessional course is to allow you to reach B2 level in
English language and your sponsor is satisfied that you will reach that level at the end
of the pre-sessional; and
• your course of degree level study commences no later than one month after the end
date of your pre-sessional course.

he may or may not be given admission into the foundation course, some universities do give. if a UK HEI gives him admission into a pre-sessional course, then he may not be required to do the english test, because the University can say that they have accessed the student's english. but again he may have to face the interview from where he will apply and if there he cannot convince the interviewer then chances are of a NO.
best thing would be to get him to do an english language course there. if he wants to come here, get married to you, then he must work for it. taking out time from work is hard but has to be done. there is no easy way. once he has english then getting an entry clearance will be very easy for him.

good luck

MovingOn
Newly Registered

Post by MovingOn » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:57 pm

Just seen your post aaliya1986.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply