ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

to postpone citizenship ceremony or have it abroad?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

epps
Newly Registered

to postpone citizenship ceremony or have it abroad?

Post by epps » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:59 am

hi everybody,
any one with the following information , please?

i received the letter from the HO that my citizenship application has been approved. The letter is dated Jan 30th.
So in principle my citizenship ceremony must be conducted before April 29th. Unfortunately I'm currently on study leave in Singapore and would only be back to the UK in July.

I contacted my local council about the possibility of putting off the ceremony until I get back but was told that I need to get approval from the HO.
I also wrote to the British High Commission here in Singapore. They say they would be able to conduct the ceremony for me, but again only with the approval from HO.

I called the HO number 0300 123 2253, but maybe because I'm calling from overseas, no answer even after holding the line for 15 mins.
Does anyone else have similar experience? Any number to call or email address to write to?
Thanks in anticipation.
my question
can i postpone my citizenship ceremony?
if yes, who should i approach.
thanks for an early answer.

secret.simon

Re: to postpone citizenship ceremony or have it abroad?

Post by secret.simon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:06 am

There are stories on this site of the 0300 number not being answered for an hour or so, so 15 minutes is probably not sufficient.

To the best of my knowledge, the only time the Home Office does allow the ceremony to be held overseas is when the applicant is the spouse of a British citizen.

The local council does not have discretion with regards to the 90 days limit.

Srinibondugula

Post by Srinibondugula » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:55 pm

Hi Epps

Did you manage to take oath outside UK? Did you speak to homeoffice to get an extension?

I'm in the same boat and need your help please

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:37 pm

Srinibondugula wrote:Hi Epps

Did you manage to take oath outside UK? Did you speak to homeoffice to get an extension?

I'm in the same boat and need your help please
You can only request your ceremony to be held abroad if you are married to a British Citizen and you are both moving for good reason. Passport applications from abroad can take between 6 and 12 months to be processed.

If you do not attend the ceremony within the 90 days, your certificate is sent back to HO and you will have to start the process again and pay the fee again.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.