ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

entrance stamp for EEA FP?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Platinum

entrance stamp for EEA FP?

Post by Platinum » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:25 pm

Hi. I have an EEA FP for the UK. My husband and I will be flying in from Ireland, so there won't be any passport control on the UK side for me. Will it matter that I therefore won't get any stamp or other proof of the exact date I entered the UK using the family permit?

I know I have six months to apply for residency. Is this six months from the issue of the FP, or six months from my entrance into the UK? If the latter, what do I do about proof of the date, then?

(In my recent trips to the UK for job interviews, I've kept an eye out for any officials to whom I could go and ask for a stamp, but there aren't any! The areas for Irish flight arrivals are almost totally un-manned.)

Thanks for any help.

mym
Member of Standing

Re: entrance stamp for EEA FP?

Post by mym » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:27 pm

Platinum wrote:Hi. I have an EEA FP for the UK. My husband and I will be flying in from Ireland, so there won't be any passport control on the UK side for me. Will it matter that I therefore won't get any stamp or other proof of the exact date I entered the UK using the family permit?
They are actually not allowed to stamp your passport.

I suggest keeping the tickets and boarding passes as proof.
--
Mark Y-M
London

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:40 pm

They are actually not allowed to stamp your passport.
When I entered on a FP, they stamped the FP with the date that I entered. I was under the impression that when entering for the first time, it was essential to get the entry stamp.

Platinum, keep the tickets and boarding pass and if there is noone at the airport (try asking around when you arrive) then you should be able to send it with the tickets to the BIA.

As far as six months to apply for the residence card, it's 6 months from the date of issue.

" The U.K. authorities expect long-term visitors and those coming to the U.K. to study or work to have U.K. immigration stamp their passports upon entry into the country. Those who enter the U.K. via the Republic of Ireland and who therefore do not have their passports stamped by the U.K. immigration authorities encounter serious problems once here as they cannot legally work or acquire a local national insurance (social security) number without this stamp. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that U.K. immigration does not have a public access office in Northern Ireland.

We therefore advise all American citizen students and long-term visitors traveling to Northern Ireland who do not have a British visa or entry clearance to travel to Northern Ireland via Great Britain and not via the Republic of Ireland. Travelers who fly into an airport in Great Britain clear U.K. immigration, receive entry stamps in their passports, and therefore enter the country legally. They need no further documentation.

Students and long-term visitors who do not have a British visa or entry clearance and who travel to Northern Ireland via the Republic of Ireland must mail their passports with the appropriate application form to U.K. Immigration authorities to receive an immigration stamp authorizing them to stay in the U.K. For information on the application process, a copy of the application form, information on the current turnaround times and costs, please refer to the U.K. Immigration & Nationality website. "

That's on the US Consulate, Belfast site. I know it says specifically Northern Ireland, but it would be applicable for travel to anwhere in the UK from ROI.

Platinum

Post by Platinum » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:54 am

Thanks for the replies.

Crap. I don't want to send off my passport! I've just signed a job contract, so when we arrive in the UK, I need my passport for other stuff, like sorting out a bank account, tax number, etc., not to mention applying for a residence card.
Aarrgh, annoying.

Oooh, it just occurred to me: I can work *before* I apply for the residence card, right? On the EEA FP? I know I can work while my application for a residence card is being processed, but we're cutting the timing on everything pretty fine, so I will probably start work before applying for residency.

Thanks again for the help.

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:11 pm

Yep, you can work on the FP without any problems. No need to wait for the residence card.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:15 pm

Platinum wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Crap. I don't want to send off my passport! I've just signed a job contract, so when we arrive in the UK, I need my passport for other stuff, like sorting out a bank account, tax number, etc., not to mention applying for a residence card.
Aarrgh, annoying.

Oooh, it just occurred to me: I can work *before* I apply for the residence card, right? On the EEA FP? I know I can work while my application for a residence card is being processed, but we're cutting the timing on everything pretty fine, so I will probably start work before applying for residency.

Thanks again for the help.
The safest thing to do is to go to the bank you want to open an account with and open up the account first and send the passport afterwards. They also can certify the passport page for you so you can use it for other things when you mail your passport in.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:21 pm

Platinum wrote:Crap. I don't want to send off my passport! I've just signed a job contract, so when we arrive in the UK, I need my passport for other stuff, like sorting out a bank account, tax number, etc., not to mention applying for a residence card.
Aarrgh, annoying.
As always there is a way out. Apply for the EEA2 with certified copies of both your passports and keep the original passports with you until it is asked for by the HO. The passports are only actually needed at the stage for endorsing the Residence Card onto it, and a certified copy should do the trick till then.
Jabi

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:21 pm

Platinum wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Aarrgh, annoying.

If you notify the airport you are coming into in advance then you can arrange for an immigration officer to meet your plane, just to stamp your visa.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

Platinum

Post by Platinum » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:39 pm

If you notify the airport you are coming into in advance then you can arrange for an immigration officer to meet your plane, just to stamp your visa.
Really?! That would be awesome! Oooh, I'm going to look into trying that. What specific "department" should I look for and ask about?

Thanks for help.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:18 pm

Ring the IO at the port of entry.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!