ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registration as British of children born & live abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Relatively Fat

Registration as British of children born & live abroad

Post by Relatively Fat » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:46 pm

I have this slightly tricky case on which I wish to hear your views.

I am a naturalised British Citizen domiciled in the UK and I want to register my children as British. My citizenship route was 5 years refugee, then Settlement, and was approved in October 2014.

I know very little about registration so please bear with me. I have some problems that make the process of registration of these two children not straightforward at all.

First, I do not have documentary evidence to prove paternity to these two kids (a 5 years and 8 years) from two different mothers. Both kids live overseas and I do not wish to bring to the UK (nor am I able to look after them if I had wanted to for a host of irrelevant reasons).

I just want them to be registered as British (because they are my kids) where they currently are and stay with their mothers till if a time comes and they wish to come to live in the UK, they would be able to do so as British because of registration.

Second, where they live, they are registered as brothers to their biological mothers respectively. Thus, their names and mine do not match and everything on their residency permits is false and or wrong, not excluding DOB and place of birth. Meaning, I cannot formally link myself to them on paper alone (I know I can prove this via DNA tests).

The reason, for them being added to their grandfathers’ passports and residency permits as though they were their children, is because they live in Saudi Arabia where children born at home outside of marriage are left in a legal limbo; they cannot study or travel or get treated in hospitals or have any recognised contact with official business.

Because at the time I did not know if I was the biological father (which I still do not 100% know), the practical thing to circumvent the legal limbo was for them to be added on their grandfathers’ passports and residency permits.

What should I do to achieve registering as British my kids who are in a third country where they are using deliberately incorrect though genuine passports and residency permits which have nothing to do with me?

Finally I want to say that at the time of their birth (2009 and 2007) I was in the UK but was neither British nor Settled.

Thanks.
Last edited by Relatively Fat on Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Registration as British of children born & live abroad

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:53 pm

Finally I want to say that at the time of their birth (2009 and 2007) I was in the UK but was neither British nor Settled.
They are not entitled to register as British as they were born abroad before you became British. All the other stuff is irrelevant from this point of view.

Although proving they are actually yours because your name is not on their birth certificates will be an issue.

But that aside, they would only be able to register as British if they have lived in the UK on a visa and obtain ILR (settlement) first. You being naturalised as British now makes no difference to their status.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Relatively Fat

Post by Relatively Fat » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:02 pm

CR001 wrote:
They are not entitled to register as British as they were born abroad before you became British. All the other stuff is irrelevant from this point of view.

Although proving they are actually yours because your name is not on their birth certificates will be an issue.

But that aside, they would only be able to register as British if they have lived in the UK on a visa and obtain ILR (settlement) first. You being naturalised as British now makes no difference to their status.
Thanks a lot. But can it be true that my kids cannot be British at all? I mean they are practically stateless where they are now.
What about bringing them here as my kids after proving my paternity via the accredited laboratories by the Gov https://www.gov.uk/dna-testing-parentage-disagreements?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:20 pm

Yes, it is true as they were born abroad before you were British, they don't appear to have your name and from what you say, don't appear to have ever lived to the UK

You would need to prove that you have sole responsibility for each one and the other parents' permission to apply for any type of visa

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... dren-set07

There is also a minimum income requirement etc that has to be met.

How can they be stateless? They would assume the nationality of their mother(s).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Relatively Fat

Post by Relatively Fat » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:31 pm

CR001 wrote:Yes, it is true as they were born abroad before you were British, they don't appear to have your name and from what you say, don't appear to have ever lived to the UK

You would need to prove that you have sole responsibility for each one and the other parents' permission to apply for any type of visa

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... dren-set07

There is also a minimum income requirement etc that has to be met.

How can they be stateless? They would assume the nationality of their mother(s).
Thanks again.
Stateless because their mothers on papers are their grandmothers and real mothers are their sisters. If at any moment their private affair gets drawn into the glare of DNA for whatever reason where they are now, all will unravel.

But as you say, the only way for them to become British is through me proving paternity, then sole responsibility and finally the 28k income requirement which Theresa Stupid May introduced for a wife and two kids. But even this circuitous way isn't guaranteed.

Apart from the income requirement, all else is within the realm of practicality for me. So if I were to seriously consider bringing them to the UK ( I know it is no longer a citizenship related matter), what do you think I should do?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:20 pm

Stateless because their mothers on papers are their grandmothers and real mothers are their sisters
That in itself will create the biggest obstacle never mind still proving sole responsibility, which I am not sure how you will do.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:44 pm

Are you confident that the grandfathers of the children (who are the named fathers) would allow you to do a DNA test? If you are confident, have you looked at getting their approval for adopting the children as your own?