ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Have ILR and returning from Pakistan 4 months before PP exp

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

imranh

Have ILR and returning from Pakistan 4 months before PP exp

Post by imranh » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:13 pm

Hi there

I just need some advice.

My wife (who has ILR since 2013 and later this year is intending to apply for British passport as my spouse) is on 2 months holiday in Pakistan currently and will return to the UK just under 4 months prior to her Pakistani passport expires. This passport has her original spouse visa stamp on. She has her pink/red ILR BRP card with her and that expires in 8 years time.

My question is will she still be able to return to the UK because she only has 4 months left on her Pakistani passport (even if she has ILR BPR card)? Will she be refused because she her passport expires within 6 months? - I know some countries have this 6 months before expiry rule - I dont know if the UK has this rule or not. Or is it the case the her ILR BPR card is more important to the UK immigration authorities and they wont be bothered about the Pakistani passport? Will she have to renew her passport in Pakistan before returning to the UK?

Another question;

Can the immigration authorities reject her ILR or cancel her ILR at the airport?????? Is that true???

Please help me and advise me- this is stressing me out!!!
Thanks in advance

Kind Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Have ILR and returning from Pakistan 4 months before PP

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:03 pm

My question is will she still be able to return to the UK because she only has 4 months left on her Pakistani passport
Yes
Can the immigration authorities reject her ILR or cancel her ILR at the airport?
Probably only if she has been absent from the UK for 2 years.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

imranh

Post by imranh » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:17 pm

CR001 wrote:
My question is will she still be able to return to the UK because she only has 4 months left on her Pakistani passport
Yes
Can the immigration authorities reject her ILR or cancel her ILR at the airport?
Probably only if she has been absent from the UK for 2 years.
Hi CR001

Many thanks for your reply as always :) - much appreciated.

I just want some more details to satisfy my concerns. So the fact that my wife has only 4 months left before her passport expires when she arrives back in UK - this is ok then? she wont be stopped or sent back? Basically are you saying that her ILR BRP card is more important than her passport? Or is there just no 6 months expiry rule that I mentioned earlier? Sorry about this..I am just really paranoid :)!!!

I want her to renew her passport in Pakistani consulate in Manchester as oppose to in Pakistan to avoid any headaches/mistakes/typos. I just have this nightmare of some obstructive/awkward person at the airport being difficult about this. I just wanted to avoid this.

Thanks once again in advance.
Kind Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:17 pm

there just no 6 months expiry rule
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

imranh

Post by imranh » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:42 am

CR001 wrote:
there just no 6 months expiry rule

Hi CR001 :)

Many thanks for your response. It seems I am worrying unnecessarily about my wife returning to the UK!!!

Just 2 more questions

1) Will they double check her original and now expired spouse/settlement visa in her passport or will they just check the BRP card only?

2) Will she be asked any questions when she enters the UK or will they just check whats required and let her go through without questioning her? (kinda like having a British passport and how we just get checked and let in without being questioned about our immigration status)

Many Thanks once again
Kind Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:06 pm

1. Probably only ILR BRP card

2. I don't work for Border Agency so cannot tell you anything about that. They might ask her about you, where you live, what you do, how much you earn, why she has been away and why...........No one can say what they will ask or not when she arrives, but if she acts nervous and suspicious it will not be helpful for her.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

imranh

Post by imranh » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:13 pm

Hi CR001

Thanks once again for your reply - I appreciate your advise and you taking the time out to reply!!!

Just the last last couple of questions on this topic;

1) Have you (or for that matter anyone reading this thread) heard of where people ( ideally more recently) on ILR and with BRP card have travelled back to the UK with their passport expiring within 4 months or so?

2) Is it correct to think that the BRP card is more important or of more interest to the UKBA/UK Immigration authorities than the Pakistani passport for my wife when coming back to the UK?

Many Thanks once again - much appreciated

Kind Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:13 am

You are stressing for no reason at all. Her passport will be valid on the date she arrives. They are interested in both passport and ILR because she is not British and has to have permission to enter the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

imranh

Post by imranh » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:33 am

CR001 wrote:You are stressing for no reason at all. Her passport will be valid on the date she arrives. They are interested in both passport and ILR because she is not British and has to have permission to enter the UK.

Thanks CR001 - I promise it will be the end of this topic...I just dont trust the UKBA or whatever they are called now...I just dont want to give them opportunities to be awkward or incompetent or make a mistake and then the massive beauracy to correct...unfortunately that is the negative impression that I have of them!!!!

But her passport is valid and there will be no problems at all :)

Thanks once again
Kind Regards