ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Subsistence allowance affecting gross pay

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ftse100

Subsistence allowance affecting gross pay

Post by ftse100 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:39 am

Hi everyone

I would really appreciate if I could some elaboration on gross pay. I am on Cat A non-salaried getting per month salary accumulated by number of hours I do each month x rate. I have worked xx number of hours in January x rate which gave me my total gross pay but there is some calculation done for subsistence allowance which reduced my total pay before tax and when you see my gross pay according to the payslip it's even less. I hope I am clear of my explanation. Can someone please guide which gross pay will be considered to get £18,600 because the gross pay on the payslip is quite less than the number of hrs worked x rate?

2- Can subsistence allowance be a cause of misunderstanding for the Visa officer as he/she might consider my gross pay on the payslip as my actual gross pay without checking my number of hrs worked x rate in a month?

Kind Regards

AA

Rayking

Re: Subsistence allowance affecting gross pay

Post by Rayking » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:17 am

Why is this deducted from your salary every month,if I may ask?

ftse100

Post by ftse100 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:34 am

Rayking- I got no idea mate. This is something to do with lunch allowance and tax you pay to buy a meal i believe. This was my first payslip from the new employer. My employer actually first added like £75.60 into my total hrs worked in a month x rate per hour and then deducted £86.94 which reduced my pay and a figure under the head of gross pay is even less by that £75.60. I am only worried that it has reduced gross pay on the payslip which is an important figure to arrive at £18,600.

Rayking

Post by Rayking » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:57 am

Just a personal opinion, haven't really come across this before but I think all deductions from your income is still yours,just like taxes are yours before being deducted.
I think you should calculate base on your gross pay before any other deductions.

ftse100

Post by ftse100 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:07 am

Yes that's how it should be but looking at payslip which has a gross pay less than my actual hrs worked in a month x rate it can confuse anyone and especially for the ones who are ready to find any excuse to refuse a visa.

Rayking

Post by Rayking » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:49 am

Are you saying the money is being deducted before your gross?if that's the case,then you'll need to use the stated gross.
Hope someone more experience can add something to it though.

ftse100

Post by ftse100 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:13 pm

Yes the subsistence allowance actually reduced my gross pay and and don't match my hrs worked in a month x rate per hour.
Anyone please help on this because I feel that visa officer is not really obliged to read what says in my notional pay which is actual gross pay but rather he would be more interested in gross pay written on the payslip.

What a weird scenario.

ftse100

Post by ftse100 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:00 pm

Dear All

I have attached the bit to explain my question much better. All the gurus please advise. I would appreciate all the helpful replies.

Regards

AA
Attachments
ut1.png
ut1.png (23.36 KiB) Viewed 787 times

julian1972

Post by julian1972 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:05 pm

As your employment is non-salaried you should be ok, what matters is that you are expected to have earned 9,300 pounds in the 6 months before you submit your application. What is deducted from your wages each month should not matter. You would be adding your 6 months gross pay, that's what you earned before tax/other deductions.

Rayking

Post by Rayking » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:50 pm

Your gross pay is clearly stated and that's what you should base your calculation on.
Don't you pay tax?

ftse100

Post by ftse100 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:41 pm

Thanks Guys

For the safe side I have requested my employer to cease this travel and subsistence allowance. I know it might not sound a good decision as I am going to lose good £50-£60 each month but I think it's no point taking risk because you can expect from the visa officer to come up with a silly excuse.

Best of luck to all who are waiting for their news.